The sky is falling

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Sage

Chels, I think you have to pick your spots and do DD. IMHO, this is exactly the time to buy..but fundamentals have to be good.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
Chels, I think you have to pick your spots and do DD. IMHO, this is exactly the time to buy..but fundamentals have to be good.

SAMHASS you are very wise! Yes fundamentals do need to be good! I gave the "short" answer. There hasn't been a better time to buy than yesterday afternoon in a loooooong time.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Default P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Was watching Susie Orman and she said this is NOT the time to buy unless you can leave the money alone for (are you ready) five years! I am not going to pretend to be well versed on the Stock Market. Just telling you what I heard. Apparently she doesn't see an upswing for a very, very long time.

Sorry I didn't see Chelsea24's post before I 'spoke". You should never ever invest in the stock market unless you want long term results. ANything less is gambling and I don't gamble. (except the occasional $20 on the slots). That said Susie Orman doesn't believe in the history of the stock market and what it has done EVERY time the same situation has occured then hmmmm maybe she's right and maybe she's wrong we shall see. But me... I already made money.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Was watching Susie Orman and she said this is NOT the time to buy unless you can leave the money alone for (are you ready) five years! I am not going to pretend to be well versed on the Stock Market. Just telling you what I heard. Apparently she doesn't see an upswing for a very, very long time.
5 years is a relatively short investment period.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Suze Orman is known to be a conservative investor. I read somewhere that she invests like "a retired grandmother." I may have read that first in the interview she did with the NYT, I think it was, a year or two ago.

In fact, at the time, the news of her investing style came as a surprise to some. It seems like there was something in the interview about how Orman recognized that she had lots of millions and did not feel the need to simply try to make more millions just for the sake of making more millions. Interesting.

I have been trying to find that old interview to link in here but I could not. I hope I am remembering it right. I did find the recent one with Larry King though.

I think Suze Orman has found a niche. She educates. She does not intimidate. (Well, maybe sometimes when she yells, "YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!" at those goofadoofs who call in to her show. But they need to be intimidated. I help her yell at them if I am home on Saturday night watching the show.)

So anyway, if you are interested in reading what Suze Orman had to say about all this recent news, here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/perso...kl.suze.orman/

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-18-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Unless you need to cash your stocks in today .......

you might lose depending what you bought when.
It is hard to understand why people get all upset over "paper" losses.
I know there is always a first time, however the stock has always come back as proven by it's track since the early 40's. Google stock market history and there will be a lot of information to absorb.
As one expert said in the last few days we are closer to the bottom than the top. The market has lost in excess of 20% since last October. Historically it has gone down to 25-30% before rebounding.
And yes, it is possible the current environment will set a new record. However, The United States investments are so intertwined internationally, it won't be long before the big money people from other countries come in and start buying up these banks, insurance and mortgage companies at bargain prices. Once that starts the rest will jump on board.
As a result of sell offs in recent weeks there are trillions of dollars sitting in investor cash accounts waiting till the right time.....that is a lot of money waiting to get back in.
It was in the news this morning China (big surprise) is shopping for the bigger banks here in the USA. Soon to be followed by the oil rich in the Mid East.

The rest of the world cannot afford to have a US economy that is not sucking in their exports.

We'll see.
And for some analysts to be forecasting it may take 5 years to recover....I guess that could be viewed as a safe conservative guess....if it happens sooner then their is/was no harm.
The market will not sit still for 5 years...IMHO.

Not an authority on the markets, but I do read a lot to try and understand where best to put my pittance...CD's and shoe boxes don't do well.

BTK
Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Default 20/20 hindsight

You all should have bought before lunch today while there was blood in the streets. However, this isn't over !!! It was once said that "Great wealth comes from buying opportunities in the midst of fear." There are some good stocks that appear oversold, if you are fearless.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Sage

A sale is a commission - sell or buy it is still a commission!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Don't sell !!!!

Don't panic and sell, it will come back , it always has ...

Actually their are some good buys out there , honest !!!

This is not turkey lurkey time fumar
Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Lightbulb Commissions $$$$$

Commissions don't add up like they used to. You can buy or sell stock in the $5.00 to $7,00 range and you can do options without commissions and only pay $.75 or less per option. I just left Merrill because my cost to trade went from $8.00 per trade for the past few years to suddenly over $360.00 after discount in April !!! And they wonder why they are falling apart !!! I had been with Merrill since I was in 8th. grade in 1955.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Soaring Parsley

Could this thread title be far more appropriate than we realized a couple of days ago?

I just turned on the television to hear some financial news. It is early so I am not sure I am even hearing this right. It sounds like there is a plan afoot to just bail them all out.

I have no idea what is going on anymore.

The massive failure by Congress to oversee regulation will not punish anybody but the taxpayers.

Each of us has seen parents who give their children no guidelines; ignore the kids' problems while they pursue their own interests; refuse to even acknowledge the existence of problems that are all too obvious; turn the kids into monsters; and then bail those monsters out of any big messes they get themselves into. Indulgent, selfish, greedy parents. We have seen a few through the years. Have we not? And now we have seen an indulgent, selfish, greedy government. (And no, I do not expect the government to be my mommy and daddy. I did what I was supposed to do. I was responsible with money. Now what?)

Somebody here used the term "Corporate Welfare." That's what it looks like to me. And we all know who pays the bills for welfare.

This picture is far bigger than just being able to make a few bucks on those rapid mood swings of the market. This is huge. We are witnessing economics history. They will study this one.

Maybe my plan for the day should be to just go spend some money.

Boomer in the Morning

Last edited by Boomer; 09-19-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Sage

Boomer, two days ago was the time to spend money. Premarket this AM is wild.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Lack of accountability is....

once again staring us all in the face. The CEO's and boards of directors for the institutions that are "all of a sudden" in trouble to the point they are on the brink of bankruptcy???? That is just not the way it works, especially when we are hearing from top tier financial institutions.
Having been responsible for corporate assets in a fortune 500 company, knowing the reporting and reviews that take place, knowing the planning, re-planning and follow up that takes place when ever the ship might get pointed in the wrong direction....all to make sure it gets back on financial course. THERE ARE NO SURPRISES of the magnitude we are seeing and hearing about today. Just go back to the last quarterly statement....or the last annual report...if there is no evidence or discussion in the CEO/President report on the state of the business, then one has to wonder if there was manipulation.
What other explanation could there be. I am sure there are those that will attempt to describe the current housing debacle or something else that came up quickly. I don't but that from top tier, supposedly world class organizations whose primary business is MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!
These people are not only NOT being taken to task for their so called failing company, they are still getting multiple million dollar bonuses.
Now if Congress want to work on something let them investigate the real problem.
Our country is being allowed to wallow in it's own messes due to lack of accountability and number one on the list is Congress....they do and accomplish nothing and are held accountable for what?
Can you tell this is among my favorite subjects

BTK
Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Right on, Sam... stock futures this AM are over 400 pts right now. Wow!! I think there is too much money looking for too much profit on too little capital, the whole stock market looks like a house of cards. I got a kick out of one of the CNBC guru's telling us yesterday when the market was sooooo low that a great place to make money was in a company that provides treatment for kidney patients on dialysis because they have to have those treatments 3 times a day. And we wonder why our health system is broken? The stock market plays a big part in that fact. People are making their fortunes off the backs of the ill and chronically ill as we watch patients pay HUGE amounts of money to these public companies so the patients can live ughhhh!

Last edited by Peachie; 09-19-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Soaring Parsley

I have never been able to master the art of tunnel vision. This is so far beyond the thrill of the chase to capture returns on a market in the throes of rapid mood swings.

And I think I might actually be finally running out of words to even talk about it. So that will just have to be the silver lining, I guess.

Boomer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.