Social Security Disability Pension@62

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Default Social Security Disability Pension@62

After reaching the SS eligibility age of 62, but before reaching the full SS retirement age of 66, has anyone ever developed a long term disability and decided to apply for an SS disability pension?

Is a complicated process that requires a lawyer, or is it best attempted, at least initially without one?

Are there any pointers picked up in the process that would, in your opinion, expedite it?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM

I applied online and then had intake interview over the phone with followup handled by mail as it was difficult for me to travel to the social security admin office. just be sure you organize your thoughts by listing ALL; aspects of your qualifying disability along with contact info for doctors who can verify the validity of your condition. my disability is the result of a stroke and although I reached a good level of independence thru rehab I can not function at a cognitive, visual or physical level required to do the type of finance and accounting work I did prior to the stroke event. I believe a list of some of the qualifying conditions can be found online
at the ssdi site.
p.s. I was ten years shy of the 62 early retirement age and that may well change your options. but again there should be clarifying information at the ssdi site.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM

I worked for Social Security Disability adjudicating claims for 25 years. I can answer your questions and assist you with filing a claim if you like. You do NOT need an attorney. I sent you a private message.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
I worked for Social Security Disability adjudicating claims for 25 years. I can answer your questions and assist you with filing a claim if you like. You do NOT need an attorney. I sent you a private message.
I have a niece who was just approved for disability. Is she eligible for Medicare right away, or does she have to wait 2 years. Think she is in her late 50's or just 60
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
I have a niece who was just approved for disability. Is she eligible for Medicare right away, or does she have to wait 2 years. Think she is in her late 50's or just 60
After 2 years on SS disability, you are Medicare eligible. Part A is automatic. Just make sure you pick up Part B because the longer you wait the more it costs.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
After 2 years on SS disability, you are Medicare eligible. Part A is automatic. Just make sure you pick up Part B because the longer you wait the more it costs.
Thanks so much
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

This was a topic on 60 minutes just tonight.
You could call the lawyer in the show. He is in W VA and has made millions by getting people on disability coverage. Has his own staff of doctors to do the physicals. The government pays his fees. These lawyer fees run into the billions of $ in the US.
It is unfortunate that honest folks cannot get approved but the crook lawyer can make it happen.
Ever notice how many ads there are on TV from lawyers wanting to help!
Here is the link to 60 minutes
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_1...fund-runs-dry/
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Platinum member

There is a maximum that an attorney can charge for SSDI assistance. It used to be $1500, but that may have changed in the past 10 years.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM

The attorney gets a percentage of the claimant's retroactive pay. SSA pays him and makes the rules on how much he receives. The maximum is $6,000.

How Much Will a Social Security Disability Attorney Charge? | Disability Secrets
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
That's not entirely correct. If for example your spouse is working and you are covered under their insurance plan there is no penalty for not taking Part-B when it comes available.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.