social security question at 62

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Go to the SS office in Leesburg. Make an appointment. They are very helpful!!!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The very best investment you can make is to wait longer before taking SS. 8% a year increase in payout. So as long as your working even part time, wait. If possible wait until your 66. And for the very best return wait until your 70 before starting SS. Remember your spouse is eligible for 50% of your SS. So by waiting until your 70, her share increases. By starting at 62 you get about 68% of the amount your entitled to receive. And when your spouse is eligible she gets half of that or 34%. By waiting until 66 you get 100% and she gets 50%. By waiting until your 70, you get 132% and she receives 66%.

Another good plan if she is eligible on her own, is for her to use your SS at the 50% rate and wait until 70 until she applies. This can also work in reverse. Have her apply, you receive 50% of hers and wait until 70 to apply on your own.

Really look at all those options and use a plan to maximize the SS payout.
MAXIXUM PAYOUT? wow if everyone used your plan SS would never run out.....the majoritry of people will pass away before even breaking even with your plan. plus the fact that waiting until 70 means 8 more years of figuring out how to supplement your income without SS.....sit down figure it out then take the $$$$$ and run.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
MAXIXUM PAYOUT? wow if everyone used your plan SS would never run out.....the majoritry of people will pass away before even breaking even with your plan. plus the fact that waiting until 70 means 8 more years of figuring out how to supplement your income without SS.....sit down figure it out then take the $$$$$ and run.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
You have an interesting concept of math.
Life Expectancy at age 62 for a man is age 81.4 (19.4 years), for a woman age 84.3 (22.3 years). Half will make it that far, half won't. For the AVERAGE person, the choice to start receiving retirement benefits early will ultimately mean receiving a smaller total lifetime benefit.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Social Security Traps

Dont Fall Into These Social Security Traps | Bankrate.com
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM

The Social Security Administration uses actuary science to determine the amount of the reduction for collecting benefits at an earlier age. If you expect to live beyond the average age, it would pay to delay collecting benefits. If you do not expect expect to live beyond the average age, then you should start collecting earlier.

This, of course, does not take into account any other factors that may be important for you, such as the spousal benefits mentioned in previous posts, as well as whether the Social Security benefit is needed to cover monthly expenses.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
You have an interesting concept of math.
Life Expectancy at age 62 for a man is age 81.4 (19.4 years), for a woman age 84.3 (22.3 years). Half will make it that far, half won't. For the AVERAGE person, the choice to start receiving retirement benefits early will ultimately mean receiving a smaller total lifetime benefit.
If the life expectancy is 81.4 for a 62 year old man that does not mean that half of the 62 year old men will live longer than 81.4 and half less. What you are referring to is the median age, not average age.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Here is another very different opinion.

I decided long ago that I would start taking my SSI as early as I could. I am a Bell System retiree and once heard that the average Bell System retiree collected only 17 monthly pension checks before they died.

Made my decision easy.

Calcultions that I did and studies I found,that depending on taxes, inflation, and investment returns, the range of break-even ages goes from 81 to 86 1/2.

It was a bet I hope I lose!!!!

What's Your Social Security Break-Even Age? - The Best Life (usnews.com)
I agree completely! I started taking my benefits at 62. When I did the calculations, my breakeven point was 81 years old! I would much rather have the extra money now while I am still vital enough to enjoy it than to a) die before the age of 80 or b) not be able to enjoy it at that age. I also figure that if a few hundred dollars a month will make a big difference to me at age 80, then my retirement plan hasn't worked very well. I just figured that if I am fortunate enough to live to age 80 (neither of my parents did) then I probably wont be going out as often or traveling as often.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I agree completely! I started taking my benefits at 62. When I did the calculations, my breakeven point was 81 years old! I would much rather have the extra money now while I am still vital enough to enjoy it than to a) die before the age of 80 or b) not be able to enjoy it at that age. I also figure that if a few hundred dollars a month will make a big difference to me at age 80, then my retirement plan hasn't worked very well. I just figured that if I am fortunate enough to live to age 80 (neither of my parents did) then I probably wont be going out as often or traveling as often.
I highlighted an important phrase in your statement above.

Assuming it is actually extra money! Meaning it is in excess of what is needed to pay regular bills and expenses... today and tomorrow!

The other side of the issue is: One lives to be old and runs out of money and does not have enough income to make ends meet.... IOW pay the bills!

It seems that only a few people realize they can reassess their situation each year, from 62 to 70 to determine if "now" is the time to take it, based on how their financial situation in retirement is turning out.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
If the life expectancy is 81.4 for a 62 year old man that does not mean that half of the 62 year old men will live longer than 81.4 and half less. What you are referring to is the median age, not average age.
Definitions
Median Age: The age that divides a population into two numerically equal groups; that is, half the people are younger than this age and half are older. It is a single index that summarizes the age distribution of a population.

According to data compiled by the Social Security Administration:
A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.
A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 86.
And those are just averages.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/plann...expectancy.htm
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Definitions
Median Age: The age that divides a population into two numerically equal groups; that is, half the people are younger than this age and half are older. It is a single index that summarizes the age distribution of a population.

According to data compiled by the Social Security Administration:
A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.
A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 86.
And those are just averages.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/plann...expectancy.htm
Typically, unless stated otherwise, the word "average" refer to the mean, not the median. There can be a big difference between the median and the mean.

For example, consider the following 5 numbers;

65, 65, 66, 90, and 90.

The median, which is the number that has half below it and half above it is 66.

The mean is the average of the 5 numbers i.e., (65+65+66+90+90)/5 = 76.

Last edited by Average Guy; 01-28-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

Hmmmm.....does that mean we need to change your User name to "Median Guy"?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
Typically, unless stated otherwise, the word "average" refer to the mean, not the median. There can be a big difference between the median and the mean.

For example, consider the following 5 numbers;

65, 65, 66, 90, and 90.

The median, which is the number that has half below it and half above it is 66.

The mean is the average of the 5 numbers i.e., (65+65+66+90+90)/5 = 76.
A period life table is based on the mortality experience of a population during a relatively short period of time. Here we present the 2009 period life table for the Social Security area population. For this table, the period life expectancy at a given age is the average remaining number of years expected prior to death for a person at that exact age, born on January 1, using the mortality rates for 2009 over the course of his or her remaining life.
https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Default Not me.

I don't care what the calculations are - I'm taking the $$ at 62 and running with it!! I'll worry about it while I'm lounging by the pool in TV.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Yeah cause they're doing a bang up job with it
Yes they do and know way more than you or I!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.