Some Portfolio strategies with ETFs

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts
Default Some Portfolio strategies with ETFs

For those looking to create portfolio strategies with ETFs to do your own portfolio management, here are some suggestions from a portfolio manager, in New England, who also happens to have a PhD in the topic.

Hedged
35% $LBAY
25% $VYM
20% $GOVT
20% $VIG
10% $JEPI

Semis/Energy FCF
40% $VTI
25% $COWZ
15% $SYLD
10% $FSELX (or $SOXX or $SMH w/o Fidelity)
10% $FSENX (or $XLE w/o Fidelity)

Total Market Index:
100% $VTI

S&P+EZ FCF
60% $SPY
25% $COWZ
15% $VUG

Dividend
35% $VYM
35% $SPYD
30% $JEPI

Pure Value
85% $VTV
15% $AVUV

100% Indexed
90% $VOO
10% $VBR

GARP - Growth at a Reasonable Price
60% $VOO
20% $SPGP
10% $VUG
10% $COWZ

Shareholder Yield
50% $SYLD
25% $COWZ
15% $VIG
10% $SDY

Barbell 1
50% $VOO
20% $QQQ
20% $AVUV
10% $VTV

Barbell 2
50% $VOO
20% $VUG
20% $VBR
5% $XLE
5% $XLK

120% Long
80% $VOO
10% $DDM 2x Dow
10% $SSO 2x S&P
Old 05-19-2022, 12:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

A financial planner from the Villages of Parkwood was arrested on drunk driving charge after a hit-and-run crash at Wawa. From our favorite news site. The term financial planner is meaningless without superior credentials. Otherwise it’s a salesman

Maybe he can help. Lol.

Algorithms and hedge funds rule. 5 etfs should be sufficient for most. Note you need to be aware of risk involved in some listed here. Know your risk profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
For those looking to create portfolio strategies with ETFs to do your own portfolio management, here are some suggestions from a portfolio manager, in New England, who also happens to have a PhD in the topic.

Hedged
35% $LBAY
25% $VYM
20% $GOVT
20% $VIG
10% $JEPI

Semis/Energy FCF
40% $VTI
25% $COWZ
15% $SYLD
10% $FSELX (or $SOXX or $SMH w/o Fidelity)
10% $FSENX (or $XLE w/o Fidelity)

Total Market Index:
100% $VTI

S&P+EZ FCF
60% $SPY
25% $COWZ
15% $VUG

Dividend
35% $VYM
35% $SPYD
30% $JEPI

Pure Value
85% $VTV
15% $AVUV

100% Indexed
90% $VOO
10% $VBR

GARP - Growth at a Reasonable Price
60% $VOO
20% $SPGP
10% $VUG
10% $COWZ

Shareholder Yield
50% $SYLD
25% $COWZ
15% $VIG
10% $SDY

Barbell 1
50% $VOO
20% $QQQ
20% $AVUV
10% $VTV

Barbell 2
50% $VOO
20% $VUG
20% $VBR
5% $XLE
5% $XLK

120% Long
80% $VOO
10% $DDM 2x Dow
10% $SSO 2x S&P
Old 05-19-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

I suppose if they are in tax deferred account they are OK, but I have found ETF’s to be a real pain in the a$$ come tax season.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I suppose if they are in tax deferred account they are OK, but I have found ETF’s to be a real pain in the a$$ come tax season.
Toph,

can you elaborate on this issue, as I am wondering what I am missing. . .

thanks!
Old 05-20-2022, 11:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

List of All ETFs - Exchange Traded Funds | ETF Database

Research here. Tax implications can be diverse. Know what you are buying.

The number one mistake is not evaluating returns on a Risk Adjusted Basis. Otherwise it becomes gambling. Great when you win.

Read 22 people did the big leap when Luna crashed

Last edited by Babubhat; 05-20-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Toph,

can you elaborate on this issue, as I am wondering what I am missing. . .

thanks!
Perhaps I am painting all ETF’s with a broad brush, but the couple that I have owned sell a portion of my shares every month to pay the management fees (unlike how mutual funds work) which generate 12 annual capital gains/losses per fund that have to be reported for tax purposes. These sales are considered non-covered shares which means the cost basis is not reported to either the ETF investors or the IRS. Instead, the burden of proving the correct cost basis falls on the ETF shareholders, which can be a major pain in the a$$ if you invest in the ETF during different time periods and/or automatically reinvest dividends and or income back into the fund. Because of the hassle/inconvenience of this along with the fact I can typically invest in mutual funds giving me substantially the same exposure, I won’t invest in ETF’s in a taxable account. Hopefully that explanation clarifies my previous statement.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps I am painting all ETF’s with a broad brush, but the couple that I have owned sell a portion of my shares every month to pay the management fees (unlike how mutual funds work) which generate 12 annual capital gains/losses per fund that have to be reported for tax purposes. These sales are considered non-covered shares which means the cost basis is not reported to either the ETF investors or the IRS. Instead, the burden of proving the correct cost basis falls on the ETF shareholders, which can be a major pain in the a$$ if you invest in the ETF during different time periods and/or automatically reinvest dividends and or income back into the fund. Because of the hassle/inconvenience of this along with the fact I can typically invest in mutual funds giving me substantially the same exposure, I won’t invest in ETF’s in a taxable account. Hopefully that explanation clarifies my previous statement.
I believe this has been mentioned before. I used the information provided on my brokerage account. Perhaps, I end up paying a bit more tax. However, fighting with the IRS over some obscurity. Is it worth it? May I ask what does it come to on say 10,000 or whatever. Figuring to MY/OUR actual balance is then simple to do.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
A financial planner from the Villages of Parkwood was arrested on drunk driving charge after a hit-and-run crash at Wawa. From our favorite news site. The term financial planner is meaningless without superior credentials. Otherwise it’s a salesman
along with demonstrable portfolio performance/returns!
Old 07-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
I use Vanguard mutual funds. The only advantages I see with ETFs are that the management fees are lower and the ETFs can be sold more than once per day. But, Vanguard fees are so low that they are negligible, and I don't want to sell shares more than once per day. Also, I believe that mutual funds are more tax efficient because they attract more "buy and hold" investors. So, the mutual fund manager is not forced to sell individual stocks in the fund (a taxable event) as often to raise cash to pay investors when they sell shares. Also, I direct that any capital gain distributions and dividends be transferred into my money market account, not reinvested in additional shares. That way, I always have the exact same number shares in my mutual fund. Vanguard keeps track of the cost basis for all mutual funds. No need to calculate it yourself.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Doesn't anybody buy just plain old stocks anymore?

Boomerosaurus
Old 07-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomerosaurus
That only works if one wants to put in the time and effort doing research and analysis in an attempt to pick individual stocks that will outperform market index funds with very low management fees. Most investors claim they are good at that, but very few actually are, unless they are privy to material inside information. Personally, after a long career as a portfolio manager, I prefer to put our portfolio on autopilot and spend my retirement time swimming, golfing, biking, etc…
Old 07-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:

Boomerosaurus
I do. I do. Actually bought some MMM this morning.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
The PFAS liability concerns me.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Boomerosaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

Hey Ken,

I have been visiting that one for the past few days. It is tempting, but I have not bought in yet. I have been in and out and in and out of MMM twice over the years with good returns.

You might want to visit LEG with me. They are an old dividend payer with consecutive increases in the div for more than 50 years. But they are getting pounded right now, perhaps due to the nature of their many pieces of the business.

The right dividends pay us to wait.

Patient Boomer, Manager of the Boomerfund

Last edited by Boomer; 07-13-2022 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-13-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
along with demonstrable portfolio performance/returns!
It would be interesting to learn what an individual’s actual equity portion of their portfolio return has been, YTD, for those individuals who utilize “financial advisors” as compared to a benchmark ETF like the S&P 500. Obviously, on a percentage basis, not actual dollars. Then, add in AUM and other fees and see which ones come out on top.
Lots of people have glowing reviews of their advisor and there appears to be more of them in TV then pickle ball courts, but I would like to know which, if any, are real performers. Wouldn’t it be great to have a list of TV advisors and their respective YTD returns? Keep the “free” dinners and polo tickets and show me the returns.
Closed Thread

Tags
10%, 20%, $voo, 25%, portfolio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.