Successful implementations of AI technology replacing humans

Old 03-01-2024, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Capital investments have been replacing labor since civilization started. The only difference now is it may affect your type of job.
so at what point are there not enough jobs to go around for a significant portion of the population to be able to afford to survive? Surely there is a tipping point if the trend keeps going and going as you have indicated. . or are there always jobs for everybody and unemployment is just a personal choice? certainly wasn't for me or my boss for 3 years at a stretch. .
Old 03-02-2024, 05:19 AM
Default 🤔

Artificial intelligence is the natural replacement when you’ve lost natural intelligence.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

Elan Musk once said governments will need to
give citizens a guaranteed income since jobs will be taken over by AI.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Lost jobs to AI will not be replaced by other jobs in other fields. Think carefully about how AI has already affected jobs. Not just entry level non-skilled clerical jobs. Combine AI with robotics and you can take over a lot of jobs.

Last edited by Sandy and Ed; 03-02-2024 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Can always use more carpenters and plumbers.
Welders too.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
so at what point are there not enough jobs to go around for a significant portion of the population to be able to afford to survive? Surely there is a tipping point if the trend keeps going and going as you have indicated. . or are there always jobs for everybody and unemployment is just a personal choice? certainly wasn't for me or my boss for 3 years at a stretch. .
Right.

But wait, I thought we need human workers in The Villages hence local government approving ENDLESS housing projects in The Villages area; or the open borders, did I miss a memo that we don't need more able bodies to do the things lazy people won't do? AI will be doing the jobs so we don't need local or national workers?? I can't keep up with the "whack a mole" game. Good thing AI can play it for me.

Was visiting IL. Cosmics (wanna be Starbucks competion), McDonald's prototype completely AI robotic restaurant in Naperville, IL, can't make a mocha frappe... so strange. Def don't need a Cosmics in T V. That would defeat the need for several appartment units in Wildwood too.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The people who will be mostly affected by this are people in minimum wage jobs who are easily replaced. People need to learn that minimum wage jobs are only entry level positions and people should look to advance from them.
AI is different from earlier technologies. AI will mainly affect college-educated, white-collar jobs — in positive and negative ways.

In Reversal Because of A.I., Office Jobs Are Now More at Risk - The New York Times

Which US workers are exposed to AI in their jobs? | Pew Research Center

Interactive: What jobs is AI likely to disrupt? | Brookings
Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I agree, and the way to support it is though a tax on capital, as that is what replaced labor.
So all software amortization and software purchase and SAAS expense shall be disallowed expenses for corporate tax purposes.

And then the corporate tax is adjusted to include capital to fund this, as corporations US entities can't leave, including ones owned by intl holdings companies.

And raise the social security tax by increasing the percentage and removing the ceiling to tax all management employees, even with a graduated increasing scale for highly compensated ones, and then SS will survive a bit longer. . and I don't believe that these people will miss the increased tax, so save yourself from the theoretical arguments on tax disincentives. Working above UBI after tax gives you more spending opportunities than UBI or nothing at all.

In the post WWII and post the great depression, people still worked with the highest incremental tax rate approaching 70%. People won't stop working but there is a level at which each individual won't work harder or longer or want the additional responsibility for the incremental income. Just don't conflate the two concepts into a generalized for everyone not working excuse.
The Fed can just print more money. /s
Old 03-02-2024, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

When AI is used, and it gives out incorrect or faulty information which results in serious injury or even death, then who is responsible? Today, it's common to hear that the computer is slow or the computer is down, or even the term "computer error". Yet if those attributes were applied to an employee, I'm pretty sure that "that" employee would be fired from his or her job.
I don't think that AI is the end all that people expect.
I would also hope that companies that do use AI to replace employees would be taxed at a much higher rate so as to supplement the unemployment they cause.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I don't think that AI is the end all that people expect.
That was my first response, being a doubting Thomas to the core, may even be from Missouri. however, its kinda of like those D Cell batteries for your flashlight when you were a kid.

String enough of them together and next thing you know you are driving a car powered by them across the country. Human ingenuity knows no boundaries, which I love. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I would also hope that companies that do use AI to replace employees would be taxed at a much higher rate so as to supplement the unemployment they cause.
Yes, but the corporate influence on Congress now allowed after the stupidest supreme court decision won't allow it and will bankrupt the country. Brownian motion in the wrong direction. You will see the effect of this at some point in the future when US Treasury bond auctions start failing miserably and interest rates shoot up hawrribly high. . .
Old 03-02-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
From a technical data web site, very impressive.

From the CEO of a public company vendor, $SOUN, which provides AI voice interactions to fast food restaurants implemented voice interactions in drive throughs:

These will replace human labor, and the ratio of programmers to displaced humans is vastly sucked higher in displaced humans than programmers.

Don't believe the AI hype trying to downplay human replacements

Eh - taking fast food orders ... answering queries ... collecting tolls ... perfect use for computers (AI).

I'm not concerned at all though. AI will not be fixing my car, fixing my plumbing, doing electrical work, laying down carpet or wood floors, installing windows, building rockets, building highways, cutting lawns or planting landscaping, farming, cutting hair, building homes, building cars, delivering packages, fighting fires, responding to medical emergencies (ambulance), installing a new roof, cleaning my pool, dealing with crime, etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:

From the CEO of a public company vendor, $SOUN, which provides AI voice interactions to fast food restaurants implemented voice interactions in drive throughs:

These will replace human labor, and the ratio of programmers to displaced humans is vastly sucked higher in displaced humans than programmers.

So you are saying AI is replacing a fast food drive through order taker - a menial job, that no intelligent person should have to do anyway. This way, that human can go to school, learn a trade, or some other advanced skill and better their existence in society. Sounds good to me!
Old 03-02-2024, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Everybody thinks AI is something new, it’s not. When I started in IT 48 years ago, I was reading books about AI, and back then, it was supposed to start impacting jobs in the 80’s. Computers didn’t put people out of work, it made people more efficient, and it created a whole new set of jobs.

If you really want to get worried about what is possible with AI, listen to some of Elon Musks talks/interviews about this subject.
Robots have replaced many jobs already that do the same task over and over, this isn’t AI. When AI gets to the point that AI robots/appliances are the ones creating the new batch of AI/robots/appliances, or a rogue country starts developing AI robots like Robo Cop to build an army of these things that can fight, fly, then we got problems
Old 03-02-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:

As we know, Automation has been replacing human workers for decades. The cycle continues
Old 03-02-2024, 11:57 AM
Default Successful implementations of AI technology replacing humans

Quote:

Same was said about cars, stocks, credit cards, crypto, bitcoin. Newer things will come.

Tags
human, documentation, humans, mia, interactions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.