Talon Wealth Management Question

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2023, 05:03 PM
Default Talon Wealth Management Question

Does anyone have any experience with this company (Good or Bad)?
I am in the process of finding a new financial advisor and would like to hear from some Villagers.
Not interested in investing in annuities or the other company that begins with a "B".
Someone local and independent.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2023, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't have any personal experience with the company, but looking at their website, I don't think there is any doubt that they will try to sell you an annuity.

I would suggest making an appointment with Fidelity Investments in Lake Sumter. If you want them to manage your investments, they have very low fees, and will only charge a small percentage of the actively managed funds, not the fixed income funds, like CDs. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

We have been with Ameriprise for around 2 decades, still using my advisor from back up North, so I have not met with anyone in the 2 local offices.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:32 AM

I hear that Michael Whitaker and Associates is looking for new clients.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Good morning, OP,

If you would like to read some background info on the company you are considering, do the following:

1. Type Talon Wealth into Google. (You will get several hits.)

2. Scroll through the list of hits until you find the one from investor.com which has a lot of information about the company in general.

2. Keep scrolling through that article until you get to a section titled “conflict alerts” where you will find 2 alerts.

4. One of the two conflict alerts says “ Insurance Agent Conflict Affiliation” — so click on that and it will open to a titled paragraph “What does this mean and why is it important?”

4. Read it.

5. Also notice there are a couple of things under “Alerts” that say “Ask Firm” — one is about 12b-1 fees.

6. Just read the whole article.

What reading the investor.com article about Talon Wealth can do for you is prepare you to ask questions……….

My take on this? Looks like this is just another one of those “wealth management” companies where you are likely to be guided toward annuities and other high commission instruments.

(Maybe I should not say this, but…….”Talon”? — geez. Whose marketing idea was that? Looks like they word-played with “Guarding Your Nest Egg”” — but c’mon, birds of prey have talons………Somebody did not think hard enough about word choice in that one…….or maybe the name is perfect — because it is really hard to get out of the clutches of an annuity.)

Boomer

PS: I know some people are happy with their annuities and that is none of my business. I have friends who have annuities…….and I just keep my mouth shut — after the fact.

OP, at least have a talk with someone at Fidelity or Vanguard. Educate yourself, please. And then decide if you really want to end up with an annuity.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-05-2023 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Good morning, OP,

If you would like to read some background info on the company you are considering, do the following:

1. Type Talon Wealth into Google. (You will get several hits.)

2. Scroll through the list of hits until you find the one from investor.com which has a lot of information about the company in general.

2. Keep scrolling through that article until you get to a section titled “conflict alerts” where you will find 2 alerts.

4. One of the two conflict alerts says “ Insurance Agent Conflict Affiliation” — so click on that and it will open to a titled paragraph “What does this mean and why is it important?”

4. Read it.

5. Also notice there are a couple of things under “Alerts” that say “Ask Firm” — one is about 12b-1 fees.

6. Just read the whole article.

What reading the investor.com article about Talon Wealth can do for you is prepare you to ask questions……….

My take on this? Looks like this is just another one of those “wealth management” companies where you are likely to be guided toward annuities and other high commission instruments.

(Maybe I should not say this, but…….”Talon”? — geez. Whose marketing idea was that? Looks like they word-played with “Guarding Your Nest Egg”” — but c’mon, birds of prey have talons………Somebody did not think hard enough about word choice in that one…….or maybe the name is perfect — because it is really hard to get out of the clutches of an annuity.)

Boomer

PS: I know some people are happy with their annuities and that is none of my business. I have friends who have annuities…….and I just keep my mouth shut — after the fact.

OP, at least have a talk with someone at Fidelity or Vanguard. Educate yourself, please. And then decide if you really want to end up with an annuity.
By the way, 12b-1 fees are fees that are charged by a mutual fund or other investment product that are not used to actually manage the invested funds. They are used for advertising purposes to attract new investors. They must be disclosed in the prospectus. Low cost investment companies like Vanguard and Fidelity typically do not charge any 12b-1 fees in their products. So, if you see 12b-1 fees listed in a prospectus, you are probably not getting a good deal.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
I am in the process of finding a new financial advisor and would like to hear from some Villagers.
Not interested in investing in annuities or the other company that begins with a "B".
Thanks
Look him up on FINRA Broker Check then decide.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:27 AM

Their form ADV on FINRA clearly states they are insurance agents and brokers. This is exactly NOT what you should be looking for. Get ready for pitches for annuities , life insurance, etc. Look back at the many financial advisor questions on TOTV and you will find two names often repeated: Vanguard and Fidelity. There is a reason!
Old 05-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Their website on which annuities share a prominent position indicates they are a commi$$ion$ and fee$ driven outfit.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-05-2023, 12:20 PM

You are better off going with a fiduciary. We have been with Synergy Wealth Alliance for over 10 years. They are not your typical "sell you an annuity" company.
They will work with you for your own personal situation, and they strive to get you into a financial plan with very low fees. Hidden fees are the real killer when it comes to investing. Stay away from the companies around The Villages that do a lot of advertising i.e., billboards, print, television/radio. They are just spending your kid's inheritance.
Matt Wade and Carrie Letsinger are just who you're looking for.
https://www.bing.com/maps?&mepi=103~...50623&v=2&sV=1
Old 05-05-2023, 05:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

John Jansen of Talon Wealth Management has FINRA complaints going to the 1990s. That may not be so bad depending upon your perspective but certainly worse than no complaints at all.

Search "Talon Wealth" BrokerCheck - Find a broker, investment or financial advisor

Edit to add: apparently it's not too difficult to get a FINRA complaint, even the last poster, Dow Wealth Management, has some complaints, albeit few.

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-05-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Annuities are great, for the guy selling them to you. They give you a guaranteed rate of return which very often is a lot less than you can get with other financial instruments.

Read all you can on investment instruments and start reading monthly publications like Kiplinger.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:34 AM

All financial management companies are in business to make money for themselves. You will be paying THEM first and then sharing any profit with them as well. I suggest learning to manage your own investments or just use high yield savings accounts which will probably get you as much, or more, than you'll make in today's market.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
Thanks
AKH Financial in Daytona Beach. She is fantastic!
Old 05-06-2023, 06:53 AM

I have always been cautious with annuities, but I recently came across an Athene annuity that allows "roth conversion" within, or inside, of the annuity. It also comes with an upfront big bonus, especially if you're under age 65. Have you heard of this product or any comments?
Closed Thread

Tags
company, hear, villagers, talon, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.