Talon Wealth Management Question

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2023, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2021 View Post
I have always been cautious with annuities, but I recently came across an Athene annuity that allows "roth conversion" within, or inside, of the annuity. It also comes with an upfront big bonus, especially if you're under age 65. Have you heard of this product or any comments?
If you are trying to avoid taxes by converting traditional IRA funds into a Roth IRA by doing it within an annuity, I don't think it will work. In any event, I would not accept an annuity company's opinion or advice on this. You need to consult with an independent tax expert.

I don't like annuities at all, but I would never use IRA funds to purchase any annuity. An IRA and an annuity both have the advantage of tax defferal. But, with an annuity, you are paying higher fees, and reducing your liqudity to get the tax deferral advantage. So, you are paying for something that you already have with an IRA.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-06-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I have always been cautious with annuities, but I recently came across an Athene annuity that allows "roth conversion" within, or inside, of the annuity. It also comes with an upfront big bonus, especially if you're under age 65. Have you heard of this product or any comments?
We have a friend that got sucked in by this Athene annuity program. The up-front bonus of $6K sounded good but now after in it for 4 years it is all regrets.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this company (Good or Bad)?
I am in the process of finding a new financial advisor and would like to hear from some Villagers.
Not interested in investing in annuities or the other company that begins with a "B".
Someone local and independent.
Thanks
Look into Fross & Fross in Lake Sumter Landing & Brownwood. Local & independent financial advisors.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Pretty much ALL annuities allow ROTH conversion
Watch out for Big bonus. Look at your caps and par rates in other words what will the returns be over the next 10 yrs and if you are under 65 that means they will try to sell you an annuity with over a 10 year surrender period.
Nothing is for free you paid for that bonus one way or another
Old 05-06-2023, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I’ve been extremely well-served by Merrill Lynch for almost thirty years. My advisor has “beaten the market” every single year. Actually, my advisor’s office is up north in suburban Chicago. He also has a home here in Florida. When I call him I never know what office he’s in. With the Merrill Lynch application, I get all the information I want and need in real time. Even though neither of my sons live in the Chicago area, he also advises and manages their portfolios. And in fact my advisor and his two sons, who joined his team at Merrill about five years ago, have begun to advise two of my young adult grandchildren!

You don’t need a financial advisor locally here in The Villages if you have one who you’re pleased with back home. Telephone, e-mail and computer data bases make managing your money even easier than if you had an advisor down here.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

I would never ever invest in an annuity. High fees, low growth, you're better off in equities.
If I was going to ever use a financial planner, I would look into Creative Planning (Creative Planning | Wealth Management & Financial Advisors) or Schwab.
Most of the companies that claim they are insurance agents and brokers, they will try to sell you insurance and annuities.

If any financial advisor indicates they have beaten the market every year for 30 years, put him/her in Ripley’s believe it or not. Buffet would love to hire him because Berkshire Hathaway can’t or hasn’t done this.
Also, the brokers are the 1’s who get rich, not their clients. For example, there are commercials about a broker that claims they do well only when the client does well. So I called and they wanted $60k to manage my money. 10 years paying them is over $600k. I told them why are they charging me this fee when they haven’t made me a cent? What they should do is have you pay a % of the gain they make you, not what you bring to them. Hell no, they get paid if they make or lose money, they get paid on your portfolio value. Let’s say you bring them $1M to invest day 1. They tell you the fee % you will pay. Then say in a year you los $500k, now the broker only charges you a fee on $500k, but they just lost you $500k!
So then I asked if I’m paying this large sum of money each year will they guarantee that they will make me $60k more money per year than what I was getting doing it myself? Hell no. I just happened to be making 30+% at that time.
One more thing what people should do. I did some Google work looking into this broker on how they did in 2008/2009. Turns out, their customers lost an average of 30+% doing business with them and when I brought this up, they told me they changed things on their end.

Last edited by rsmurano; 05-06-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

I'm going to recommend a FA who is two things:

First, a fee-based (only!) advisor. That means no commissions, not even part fee / part commission. They make a fraction of a percentage on your returns. When you make money, they make money. When you lose money, they lose money. Well, they don't lose money, they just make much less money. They can't guarantee profits, but they will certainly smooth out any economic down turns to lessen losses;

Secondly, one who is an accountant. That means they intimately understand the tax consequences of the advice they are giving you.

For me, there is only Annette diBello of DiBello Financial. She is in Orange County, CA, but that should not matter. She has clients nationally and even internationally (Italy).

One of the first things she did for us was fire-test our retirement options. Essentially running your budget and income expectations through every single recent past (several decades including 1928/1929) economic condition to determine whether you can weather them.

Annette Di Bello CPA CFP(R) PC - Di Bello Financial
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 05-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
Their form ADV on FINRA clearly states they are insurance agents and brokers. This is exactly NOT what you should be looking for. Get ready for pitches for annuities , life insurance, etc. Look back at the many financial advisor questions on TOTV and you will find two names often repeated: Vanguard and Fidelity. There is a reason!
your right I’ve been in vanguard since the 80’s the funds cover much of the market , at 84 I’m still having money pulled automatically ,just not as much , I pay very little interest in the market , mostly just how it’s affecting the country , but as far as a personal interest in it not much , if I don’t use the money I hope it’s squandered by my heirs on frivolous fun things , because I’ve done enough of that myself
Old 05-08-2023, 07:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Index funds are all you need. Save the unnecessary fees. Listen to Warren Buffett. Many advisors are using the same allocation programs you can get at Fidelity or Vanguard free.. There are no secrets in this business. Low fees matter
Old 05-08-2023, 08:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Index funds are all you need. Save the unnecessary fees. Listen to Warren Buffett. Many advisors are using the same allocation programs you can get at Fidelity or Vanguard free.. There are no secrets in this business. Low fees matter
Speaking of Buffett — I recorded the CNBC coverage of the Berk meeting Saturday and have been watching it in bits and pieces when I have time.

For years I have been reading Warren Buffett — and listening to Jimmy Buffett. I always wanted to go to that meeting. I did not have sense enough to buy in in 2007-2008. (sigh)

From what I have watched so far, my favorite quote was from Charlie Munger. They were taking questions and someone asked if and how you should advise your kids about their potential inheritance…..

Charlie answered, with a bit of a growl, “Just tell ‘em to hold the g-damned stock.”

Boomer
Old 05-09-2023, 05:28 PM

If, and only if, you really want an annuity, contact Vanguard Group. Very low fees and no middleman.
Closed Thread

Tags
company, hear, villagers, talon, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.