TESLA battery fires continue

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2021, 05:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
And to be fair would you post a link to stories about the 150 ICE cars that catch fire every day? Probably not huh - that is not really news.

More Than 150 Gas Car Fires Per Day — Can We Please Get Serious About Electric Car Battery Fires? | CleanTechnica
lets talk a relative number, electric fires per number of registered electrical vehicles, and the same for gas fires per number of registered gas vehicles. . . then do fires per teslas versus fires per other EV

its the biggest obstacle to electric cars, other than the grid will need to continue to be upgraded. . as well as increased taxes for increased fire fighting equipment and increased insurance rates for the increase in the number of totaled cars per accident.

but sure, there are ICE fires which can be put out quickly
Old 10-01-2021, 05:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Have a tesla 3 and love it. Have an electric golf cart too, for the last several years, and love that too. Thinking of selling the tesla to make some money. They are harder to get now and selling at a premium. Will be the first time in my life that I get more for a automobile then I paid for it!
Old 10-01-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Plus one!
Minus one!
Old 10-01-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfan View Post
No problems with either and have both EV car and golf carts. Wouldn’t think of owning gas-powered again.
For those that own Lithium battery golf carts and Electric cars (Tesla etc.) Hold on to your wallet when it is time to replace the battery pack. And for those that say," well I will sell it before I need to replace the battery pack," well who in their right mind will want to buy it??
Old 10-01-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
So, you just cherry picked two reports of Tesla fires, but failed to connect the fact that the first car was a flooded car sitting in a insurance collection zone and the other was involved in an accident.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
So, you just cherry picked two reports of Tesla fires, but failed to connect the fact that the first car was a flooded car sitting in a insurance collection zone and the other was involved in an accident.
Now wait !!! Why confuse the readers with the facts ??? LOL 😂
Old 10-01-2021, 08:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
For those that own Lithium battery golf carts and Electric cars (Tesla etc.) Hold on to your wallet when it is time to replace the battery pack. And for those that say," well I will sell it before I need to replace the battery pack," well who in their right mind will want to buy it??
The same was said for Prius introduces 1997. Another reference for viewing is “Who Killed the Electric Car?” 2006 documentary
Old 10-01-2021, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
As a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT, the Space Station is in JEOPARDY “ In its final configuration, the space station now has three lithium-ion batteries for each channel, each with a service life lasting nearly 10 years. With eight channels, 24 lithium-ion batteries on board replaced 48 nickel-hydrogen batteries.” July 2021.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
The cost over time is less than the maintenance on an ICE. So, yes, more cost when buying or replacing, but the total cost of ownershipis less - at this point - it is expected to get better as time goes on.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
lets talk a relative number, electric fires per number of registered electrical vehicles, and the same for gas fires per number of registered gas vehicles. . . then do fires per teslas versus fires per other EV

its the biggest obstacle to electric cars, other than the grid will need to continue to be upgraded. . as well as increased taxes for increased fire fighting equipment and increased insurance rates for the increase in the number of totaled cars per accident.

but sure, there are ICE fires which can be put out quickly
Okay, let's do it, oh, you meant me, you want ME to prove your point? I don't do that. If you have a point and want to make it, I will be glad to read and consider your position.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I’ll still take my chances with the Cybertruck. Can’t wait!
Old 10-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Actually I’m not sold on ANY electric car. I say this & some people think I’m being paranoid. I worked at Fo. Mo. Co. for 38 yrs. & I know the expense of owning one so I don’t even make an attempt to give my reasons. So if anybody wants one, go for it! I’m sure some people will love them.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,416 Times in 2,533 Posts

Compared to ICE cars, electric are barely out of development stage.
Horsemen were saying ICE would never take over from 4 legs.
Look how that turned out.
Knock them as you will.
They are the future!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Older golf cards did not use Dry Cell either Lead Acid or AGM (Gel Cell)
My bad. You are correct and I do not know why I made that mistake. They are Deep Cycle batteries, is what I meant.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,517 Posts

Ok, I keep hearing folks say "the batteries will get better in a few years." Isn't that the point? They AREN'T good now. Even if the Lithium batteries last ten years, they constantly get weaker as each month/year goes by. Who wants to take a trip to another state in an electric car? Go a hundred or so miles and have to stop for four hours or more to charge the car? A normally 8 hour trip will take you a couple days to complete. If I wanted to take that much time, I could use a horse.
Over charge the batteries and start a dangerous fire. Cost of replacing the batteries, might as well purchase a new car. If they ever outlaw gas propelled cars, I will go to leasing the car. Right now, I am getting rid of my battery powered golf cart and going to a gas fueled cart because it costs $800 to replace the batteries. Sure, lithium will last ten years but don't overheat it or you might burn down your home.
Don't try to sell the battery powered car until you can get 800-1000 miles per charge and make it safe from overcharging/over heating. Then get the price down to a price that the average earner can afford.
Like anyone wants to sit at a charging station for four hours!

Tags
tesla, battery, fires, continue, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.