For variable ANNUITY OWNERS only

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Default For variable ANNUITY OWNERS only

For those of you that currently or previously owned variable annuities particularly those that have owned them for a period of time:
What is your assessment of your investment now?
Given the same opportunity would you invest in them again?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM

We do have one but not had it for very long. Would not do it again and will likely convert it to a fixed annuity at some point. It will probably be OK in the long run but a Vanguard Fund like VWINX would probably be better.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Funinthesun- please elaborate as to why you wouldn't do it again
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
My financial advisor is also pushing VA on us. After asking my accountant and a few other high end investment friends of mine, they all say to stay away and stay with the fixed account. From what I learned, agents/advisors selling these annuities make a big commission.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
My financial advisor is also pushing VA on us. After asking my accountant and a few other high end investment friends of mine, they all say to stay away and stay with the fixed account. From what I learned, agents/advisors selling these annuities make a big commission.
I spent twenty-five years in sales and marketing management for New York Life and Principal Financial Group, so know a little bit about annuities. The commission on annuities is generally about 3-3.5 percent for the major companies, though the commission rate is generally reduced on large amounts. Some smaller companies I have heard of pay 7-10 percent commission, which is usually reflected in more onerous withdrawal penalties. There are several reasons to invest in annuites, with the most common being tax deferral on accumulated earnings. If one is looking to accumulate rather than take withdrawals this is an advantage as you get to keep all the money invested and earn interest or growth on the entire amount without paying taxes as the investment grows. There are many features that are built into annuities that may be attractive to a given individual such as guaranteed death benefit (your original investment will be paid to a named beneficiary upon your death even if the value has dropped below the original amount and that guaranteed death benefit may be adjusted upward every few years to reflect the higher value - there is a small mortality cost deducted for this feature). Another advantage is that you can move your money into different investment accounts without incurring a taxible event. There are variable annuities that will pay a guaranteed income of 5% per year to the annuitant guaranteed for life, and will bump the income up every 5years if the accumulated value has grown since the previous lock-in period. Annuities can be good, but are not for everyone. If the features of an annuity arent of interest to you, you are better off in mutual funds generally, as the internal costs will be somewhat less.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Platinum member

Thanks for the info Coach.

The VA I was being pushed into has a 6% interest, but it expires at the end of the year. My issue is, we have no kids/grandchildren to leave our fortune to (LOL) so I feel it is safer in the 3% fixed we have it in now. Haven't we lost enough $$ in the stock market?

"I have three months to live" I want to go out in a blaze of glory. Don't need any hassles with drawing money. I believe the money tied up my my fixed account, money in CD's, SS and pension is enough to carry us, there is no need to risk losing a big chunk. Okay we might not be able to take a cruise every three months and will have to keep driving my 2003 Mini Cooper but at least I will be able to sleep at night. And if I live to be 100, then I might be screwed. But I'll worry about that in another 36 years.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
Variable annuities do carry a large up front fee and seem very attractive with the 5%-6% guarenteed return. If the market does well you may be very happy with one. But you would be just as happy with a Vanguard fund if the market does well. The point is, there are a lot of If's and if everything goes well with all of them you will be delighted with a variable annuity. They are a bit complicated and need complete understanding so there will not be any surprises if all things do not go as planned. If you will never need the principal and could live without the income if you had to and want to leave all of it to someone else, you might be a good candidate for a variable annuity.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

They are doing better than I expected. I would buy then but only as part of a diversified income stream. You have to be careful with the costs and terms.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=Tom Hannon;430918]Thanks for the info Coach.

"we have no kids/grandchildren to leave our fortune to"

You do now....DADDY!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

[quote=natickdan;431130]
Quote:

You do now....DADDY!
.........and Tom's "lost" family comes out of the woodwork
Old 12-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Gold member

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

[quote=natickdan;431130]
Quote:

You do now....DADDY!
That would mean that Danny is Irish and a Yankee fan. Not sure if he'd still wanna be my little boy. Is having my fortune, worth the sacrifices of being in the Tommy clan?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM

This is a subject that I had to consider when we were redeigning our investment plan for retirement. Back in 2005 we were very heavy invested in stcks and Mutual Funds. We could either continue on that path to take the advice of our new investment advisor that specializes in retirement planning.

We have 4 very large annuity contracts. From 2005 - 2008 they grew as the market grew. But in 2008 when the market crashed, had we stayed on stocks and MF we would have lost 40% and never recovered. Instead our annuity contracts switched automatically to a fixed rate at 7%. We actually did very well in the market crash.

As we are now ready to retire we can annuitize these contracts an get a very healthy income for life. In 2007 I thought we would never have to annuitize the contract and cash out at the propertime. The annuities provided a life boat for us and it was one of the best financial decisions we ever made.

People always say bad things about annuities because they lump them all together and make a quick judgement. If you find the right one it is great and a life saver, insurance on your hard earned financial "Pot of Gold"
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM

I have had a VA since 1995. When my wife died they brought the value up to the highest amount it had reached while I owned it. That said when the market started to tank and i saw the value going down, down ,down I told broker to put it in the fixed portion of the VA. That was in 2004 and it has sat there earning on average 3% interest which is lowest interest they can pay. The bottom line is it depends on how old you are especially if there are surrender charges which most annuities have. Might be better off to find some municiple bonds to park money in. They pay pretty good returns and you pay no taxes.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

I will assume that a variable annuity is one that participates partially in stock market increases, but protects against stock market decreases. In 2008, I wish I had my money in a va instead of the market. For the past 3 months, I am glad my money is in the market (where it earned me 20%) than in an annuity that would have earned me 1% for the same 3 months. If I had millions of dollars, I would certainly put enough in an annuity to cover all my "costs". But, with my present net worth, an annuity would not throw off enough income to let me retire at the income level I want. So, I am forced to assume some risk in the market. A previous poster said an annuity should be part of a balanced portfolio. I agree and recommend shopping around for the ones with the lowest fees.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.