The Villages Home Prices during 2008 Great Recession/ Views on Current Downside Risk

Old 02-27-2024, 09:26 AM

Moving to The Villages as a retiree in 2005 it became my job to enjoy life and income (from pension and annuity) which is guaranteed. Further, making income/profit is not the priority, spending it and enjoying it is now the goal. The home is a place to hang your hat, so to speak. The home is a quiet place, the personal sanctuary. Money is only made on the house when it is sold; and selling and moving are such a pain in the a** I plan on never doing it again.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenwelsh View Post
Moving to The Villages as a retiree in 2005 it became my job to enjoy life and income (from pension and annuity) which is guaranteed. Further, making income/profit is not the priority, spending it and enjoying it is now the goal. The home is a place to hang your hat, so to speak. The home is a quiet place, the personal sanctuary. Money is only made on the house when it is sold; and selling and moving are such a pain in the a** I plan on never doing it again.
I agree, I am not in it to make money any longer. I want to enjoy my comfortable life. I am not trying to build family generational wealth - that is neither my goal nor my responsibility. If the houses make a profit when I die and my heirs get them, then yay for them.

As long as they hold some measure of value, then I am happy with the choices. I am enjoying summers on the lake and winters in the sun. I can always sell one home or the other (or both) and fund nursing home or in-home health care if I need to do so with out tapping income (pensions, ss) or investment funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
real estate will ALWAYS increase. May take a few years , like 2008, but will ALWAYS increase
Over time, yes. I have NEVER lost money on a house, and have usually made a lot of money on them (and lived rent-free). My experiences:

Bought $227,000, sold four years later for $369,000
Took that equity as a down payment and remodel fund and bought the next:

Bought $560,000, sold six years later for $1,015,000.

$920,000, sold 10 years later for $1,375,000.

$705,000, currently valued based on comps 5 years later at $1,250,000, 90% equity.

This may not be what others would do, or make enough money to satisfy some finance types, but it funds my pleasant and comfortable (and early!) retirement while allowing plenty of cushion if I need to liquidate or tap investments to survive dire straights or depression-economies.

As a last thought - Even if you bought at the highest outrageous peak of 2006 / 2007 and you were underwater and lost tons of money (on paper) for a decade, those prices at 2006 /2007 would be absolute bargains today that any of us would jump at. After a certain age, it's all about long-term holding and enjoyment. Even if I never recouped the cost and my heirs only made $250,000 instead of $500,000, who cares. That's a quarter-million they wouldn't otherwise see or get.

YMMV
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 02-27-2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:34 AM

We are retired, with guaranteed income for the rest of our lives. We are comfortable on that income. I do not worry about making money anymore, that's why I am retired. Just write the check and enjoy your retirement life in The Villages.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:45 AM
Default Home Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager2be View Post
Hi All,

Hoping to get some feedback from those who have been around TV since the 2008/09 Great Recession, I have been getting "pro" feedback that the 08-09 housing crash nationally, and in Florida specifically, essentially had zero impact on the Villages market, that TV was a rare exception and was essentially unscathed, can that possibly be true?

The same source also indicates that I am practically assured that any new home that I buy now will be worth ~$100k more in a year once the neighborhood/area is completed and more mature. As great as that would be, I am not drinking that kool-aid (yet, lol!), especially as it seems the market has been softening a bit over the last year (can it be?).

Given your experience, and how far the market has come, would you even be concerned about downside risk? I am buying as a snowbird owner/resident but also hope to recoup expenses by hosting for the remainder of the year via short term rentals through a property management company. I'd rather not buy at a market peak, I would just rent for now if I thought that was the case.
Hello, we bought 2 years ago.
We bought a patio villa as we were here on a quick weekend. Our homes are quite cute, but we are looking to upside a bit.

If you buy new, you can't resell for at least one year. And for capital gains you need to wait 2 years.
Well, we have waited 2 years. Our patio villas have appreciated about 50k in 2 years. However, by the we pay commissions and fees, we can't afford to move to a bit larger home. These patio villas are perfect for rentals from what I hear. Most everyone on our block is full time.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
A house is an asset not an investment. You make no money on a house unless you sell it, but the house will cost you thousands a years in taxes, maintenance, fees, and insurance. Investments make me money every day.
I’ll never be a landlord ever again, I make much more money in the stock market, sleep easy at night, and when I want out, it costs me $5 and takes 10 seconds. When 2008 hit, I had friends that had rental property that dropped 50% in value and they couldn’t sell the property, and if they could sell, it cost them 5-6% on top of that.
But, I think the villages is the best place to buy a home and make money in the long run over most other cities I’ve lived in or know. The villages is a bubble where you aren’t going to get the riots/major crime that other places have which is a plus and millions of people are moving here in Florida, so there is demand here
Why were you a landlord, was it to make money? If so, how did you intend to make that money, through income, capital appreciation or both?
Old 02-27-2024, 07:15 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
If you are buying, I would use Realtor.com to get quick numbers on purchase prices, years and overall history. .
Thanks Normal, can you please elaborate how to use realtor.com to gather historical sales statistics? I see pretty broad market stats, but not anyplace you can drill down sales history. Can't seem to DM you.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Normal, can you please elaborate how to use realtor.com to gather historical sales statistics? I see pretty broad market stats, but not anyplace you can drill down sales history. Can't seem to DM you.
Here it is on Zillow if that helps. Access to this page has been denied

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-27-2024, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Sure

Quote:
Just enter the address in question. It gives sale dates and prices paid. It also lists taxes etc. it is a very handy site.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Tags
market, year, great, downside, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.