Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser Vs Mad Money with Jim C

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2023, 07:40 PM
Default Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser Vs Mad Money with Jim C

I miss the Friday night PBS show of "Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser" and many of the quality guest he used to have and the intellectual dialogue which was intriguing. I found it to be informative.
Perhaps I am dating myself. Jim C obviouly make big $$ for the show but viewers need to heed the buy beware disclamer, i.e SVB collaspe.
Anyone else miss Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser? (or even remember the show?)

Last edited by HandyGrandpap; 03-10-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

While his show and its elves were certainly entertaining an index fund investor did better.

The Best Investing Advice Is Too Boring for TV - The Atlantic

Where are the viewers' yachts? Bullish, Sure, but There Was More to Say - The New York Times

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-10-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

I started watching Rukeyser back when I was in college and enjoyed it. My investment information sources were scarce at the time, mainly the Journal/Barrons and Value Line. Probably not fair to compare him to index funds which were not readily available at the time.

I like Cramer's morning show on CNBC (usually via podcast) for the entertainment value. You never know when he will go on a humorous rant. You can find some of those online. Numerous people track his investment errors.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap View Post
I miss the Friday night PBS show of "Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser" and many of the quality guest he used to have and the intellectual dialogue which was intriguing. I found it to be informative.
Perhaps I am dating myself. Jim C obviouly make big $$ for the show but viewers need to heed the buy beware disclamer, i.e SVB collaspe.
Anyone else miss Wall $treet Week With Louis Rukeyser? (or even remember the show?)
Every Friday night at 7 followed by the McLaughlin group at 7:30. Classics.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:58 AM

I recently read about a couple of new etf's that are going to track Cramer's recommendations, here they are.

The financial firm Tuttle Capital Management has launched two new exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that allow investors to bet on the daily stock picks made by CNBC’s Jim Cramer on his show “Mad Money”. The SJIM ETF (BATS: SJIM) is designed to perform the opposite of Cramer’s recommendations, while the LJIM ETF (BATS: LJIM) backs his picks.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I was pretty young when I happened across Lou Rukeyser’s show. I did not have much of a frame of reference for investing — and I did not have any money to spare then either. But I was intrigued with Lou, so I stuck around.

I can’t take much of Cramer. Once in a while, I might look at his show for a few minutes, but other than that, I don’t bother. He is too clown-like for me. I know. I know that’s his shtick and has made him famous, but I find the frenzy of the show to be tedious.

OP, if you don’t know about Consuelo Mack, you might want to give her PBS show a try. She interviews interesting, big-deal investment people each week. Her show is called WealthTrack and you can find previous episodes on wealthtrack.com, along with more information about her.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-11-2023 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-11-2023, 09:47 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Cramer touted SVB last month. Frankly, I can't stand to watch him. He comes across as way too hyper.

CNBC's Jim Cramer touted Silicon Valley Bank stock

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-12-2023, 05:38 AM

One can discount most of what the business guru's are saying. If you want to know what the market outlook is, i.e. what the S&P, QQQ, IWM, etc. are doing and the geo/political outlook watch A. J. Monte Weekly Market Report on YouTube. This is the link for his Friday report: https://youtu.be/iYjNxTTFzSI

If you don't want to see the market portion skip forward to the geo/political last part. He is usually right on with what the market has in mind. You can sign up to watch this weekly report for free.

As a background for my recommendation I taught in the Option Club here in The Villages for several years and am an active trader.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:32 AM

Cramer is a blow hard. Lou was the man.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Technical analysis is all you need. The market runs on algorithms and momentum. Pundits say they think, they don’t know.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

March 11, 2008. "Should I get my money out of Bear Stearns"
Cramer's answer, " No, No, No!".

Tesla IPO, "Not a good investment"

If you want a good laugh, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uucOEYHIbCc

Cramer's biggest problem is that he gives recommendations on thousands of stocks a year. There is no way his research on most of those was anything but superficial.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:32 AM
Default difference

Louis brought in experts to say what is happening now and educate you Jim entertains you and kinda says whats happening now period.

I bought Jim's personal portfolio stuff he wasn't even close to the s& p 500 index. I've heard a monkey throwing darts at a board picks pretty good sometimes maybe that's what Jim uses
Old 03-12-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap View Post
I miss it and even though I watch Kramer, my opinion Wall Street week was much better
Old 03-12-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

I watched Louy R and in freshman year in college, my economics course taught us about stock market options. . . Then I subscribed to the Zweig report and Ned Davis research report on trading futures, then i had a blast trading on and off and made my grad school tuition on the Oct 87 crash being long puts . . I sold a few on the Friday before as well . . . I kept the checks for grad school, so cheap, but lost the trading statements in the great paper purge of 2021

All because of the show Wall Street Week, and Marty Zweig, I even have a hand written note back from him that said the banking stocks are a leading indicator of the economy. . whoopsies this week!

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 03-12-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I was pretty young when I happened across Lou Rukeyser’s show. I did not have much of a frame of reference for investing — and I did not have any money to spare then either. But I was intrigued with Lou, so I stuck around.

I can’t take much of Cramer. Once in a while, I might look at his show for a few minutes, but other than that, I don’t bother. He is too clown-like for me. I know. I know that’s his shtick and has made him famous, but I find the frenzy of the show to be tedious.

OP, if you don’t know about Consuelo Mack, you might want to give her PBS show a try. She interviews interesting, big-deal investment people each week. Her show is called WealthTrack and you can find previous episodes on wealthtrack.com, along with more information about her.

Boomer
You can find her on YouTube.
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, week, louis, rukeyser, $treet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.