What allocation distribution do you consider

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default What allocation distribution do you consider

to be fairly conservative (least risk to market girations, especially downside)?

I have heard friends state they have pulled 100% out of the market....that they value the peace of mind more than the upside opportunities. They value knowing what they have and that no matter what happens to the market, as in the last 12 months, they don't have to worry. I don't know if they have it in a shoe box or in a money market at less than 2%.

The fallacy of the latter of course there is no offset for inflation....and at times there is an argument there is no inflation.

Just looking for any insight and experiences from other participants.

btk
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

I'm about 1/3 in the market - mostly mutual funds, a mix of growth, value, a little foreign, and some index funds. The rest is bonds, cd's. I guess it depends on your tolerance for risk.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Eternal Member

I moved it all out and am now am moving it all back in.

When the market tanked in 2001 I stayed the course and got burnt. Not this time.

I do not regret the potential loss by not getting back in earlier but I am happy and slept well.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Sage

I've been out of the market 100% for over a year now and have saved thousands. Using CD's and figure whatever I loose due to inflation is very small or not at all during these times. I'll probably get in again but won't try to get in at the very beginning of the next upswing, but will wait until I really believe it is truly going up. Once I do go back in though it won't be more than 30% considering my age.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.