What will happen to the price of BRK when Warren Buffett passes the torch?

Old 05-16-2024, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
He is now 93, I believe, and at some point he will need to relinquish control or pass away as Charlie Munger did. Short term I expect BRK to take a hit. My concern is what will happen to the price of the stock long term? Any thoughts and/or predictions?
BRK's top five holdings account for 80% of the portfolio, so you could always sell BRK and reinvest (in the same %) in those five stocks.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
BRK's top five holdings account for 80% of the portfolio, so you could always sell BRK and reinvest (in the same %) in those five stocks.
I would have to pay huge LTCG taxes as my BRK shares are all held in taxable accounts so that is not an option for me. I do separately hold a little AAPL, CVX and BAC but I did not get the deal on BAC Buffett did!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-16-2024, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
He is now 93, I believe, and at some point he will need to relinquish control or pass away as Charlie Munger did.

Short term I expect BRK to take a hit. My concern is what will happen to the price of the stock long term?

Any thoughts and/or predictions?
No hit to stock right away because a lot of his portfolio is long term investments. He will also leave behind a crack staff. Possibly the stock could decrease long, long term, but i won't be alive to see it. Apple has NOT suffered greatly since the death of Steve Jobs.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
It’s a crap shoot. There have been many businesses/fund managers that have taken big hits when their founders have left, retired or died. To name a few: Apple, Starbucks, and Disney. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs! Apple failed miserably when Jobs was fired over 30 years ago and floundered for a long while after Steve’s death. When Richard Aster of Meridian Growth investment died, Morningstar advised to stay away. Same for Dave Williams.

This is 1 of the reasons to go with index funds since there is no active manager involved.
Index funds are very good!
Old 05-27-2024, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
He is now 93, I believe, and at some point he will need to relinquish control or pass away as Charlie Munger did.

Short term I expect BRK to take a hit. My concern is what will happen to the price of the stock long term?

Any thoughts and/or predictions?
Somebody will probably have to pay more taxes than their secretary.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
I would have to pay huge LTCG taxes as my BRK shares are all held in taxable accounts so that is not an option for me. I do separately hold a little AAPL, CVX and BAC but I did not get the deal on BAC Buffett did!
I guess you don’t have army of lawyers getting you out of paying taxes?
Old 05-27-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Yes. BRK bought a little Chubb, $7B, but may have $200B in cash in a few months. The market keeps getting pricier. Shiller PE Ratio is quite high, double its mean.
A former hedge fund quant I follow officially pronounced the market in bubble territory as of Friday. . normalized interest rates, strong US dollar, hawribble commercial real estate market, authoritarian aggression in geopolitics hasn't produced normalized valuations. The market is being supported right now by the options market quant alpha strategies, the value insensitive index funds being bought every month by 401k/503b savers/investors along with a few technology FOMO momentum stocks. IYKYK

Investment thesis all work until they don't. . .
Old 05-28-2024, 02:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,513 Times in 2,575 Posts

I often worry that I am not worried enough about financial markets, then I realize all my worries went away, when, 27 years ago, my wife and I cashed in anything connected to stocks, shares, and the ever fluctuating "Market," and went with cash.

Cash is very good for your health!
Old 05-28-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I often worry that I am not worried enough about financial markets, then I realize all my worries went away, when, 27 years ago, my wife and I cashed in anything connected to stocks, shares, and the ever fluctuating "Market," and went with cash.

Cash is very good for your health!
Well, I never had much of my net worth in the stock market and hence over the years paid little attention to it. I tend to look at buying a stock in a company as buying a piece of the business as does Buffett. I got lucky when I bought a little BRK back in the 1980s and never really paid much attention to it or my other holdings. I focused on real-estate investing and frankly still do as I do not trust the stock market. After selling a couple properties in the last two years due to the LLC members aging into their 80s and some passing away I put some sale proceeds into stocks but am keeping much of it in cash, T-biils and money market funds, at least for now.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-28-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,513 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Well, I never had much of my net worth in the stock market and hence over the years paid little attention to it. I tend to look at buying a stock in a company as buying a piece of the business as does Buffett. I got lucky when I bought a little BRK back in the 1980s and never really paid much attention to it or my other holdings. I focused on real-estate investing and frankly still do as I do not trust the stock market. After selling a couple properties in the last two years due to the LLC members aging into their 80s and some passing away I put some sale proceeds into stocks but am keeping much of it in cash, T-biils and money market funds, at least for now.
Yes indeed. Made a lot of our retirement funds from property whilst working.
Buy a dump, do it up, sell, repeat. Did all the work ourselves, so the only costs were materials.
We have some good inflation plus small interest cash funds here in the UK, all tax-free.
Nothing spectacular but steady. Last two years has been very good interest with all the inflation, which is still relatively high over here.

Tags
term, happen, brk, price, and/or

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.