Who feels it necessary to keep their securities distributed among several brokerages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2023, 10:05 AM

Anyone who wants to learn more about the different kinds of financial services companies and kinds of risk each one has might read the outline at the link below, which is pretty good overall.

Moral of the story: Don’t compare apples and turnips. It’s complicate.

Financial Services Risks
Old 09-13-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
The first three organizations in your post were investment banks. Schwab isn’t.

The fourth organization main business was options trading. Schwab isn’t.

Schwab is regulated, operated, and financed differently from those four so account-holder risks are not comparable. Schwab is a very different kind of company than those four others.
That is comforting, I hope... however from reading about the ups and downs his company has experienced since its beginning as revealed by Charles Schwab himself in his book I prefer to keep my securities spread among several wirehouses (including Schwab). I am sure every brokerage company has a history of ups and downs. After all, black swans and other unexpected events do occur from time to time.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
The first three organizations in your post were investment banks. Schwab isn’t.

The fourth organization main business was options trading. Schwab isn’t.

Schwab is regulated, operated, and financed differently from those four so account-holder risks are not comparable. Schwab is a very different kind of company than those four others.
Teddy Wang was trading naked puts at Schwab.

Online Options Trading | Charles Schwab

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-13-2023, 10:21 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
We have been with Vanguard. Not too long ago. we opened some accounts at Fidelity. I was getting concerned about the SIPC insurance covering our accounts or "separate capacities" at Vanguard. I was also interested in sending international bank transfers, for which Fidelity doesn't charge.

I like Fidelity's platform much more than Vanguard's, but the sweep accounts and money market funds earn more at Vanguard. I also favor a couple of Vanguard's funds.

I don't know if it's still true, but I found that Vanguard will not let you designate beneficiaries for a joint account, while Fidelity allows it.
---
I concur completely. Fidelity's systems and flexibility with trading orders make it far superior to Vanguard. Vanguard has a few less expensive and broader index options but FIdelity has been quite competitive in this category. As a plug to Schwab, I have all three and find Schwab and Fidelity basically tied in almost all categories. Do NOT accept Schwab's fee-based Robo-Adviser program. They recently had to pay a fine for providing advice not in the customer's best interest. It's not that complicated to do yourself. For most client needs, set your allocation, then come back annually to see whether it's still in balance. Switch some from stocks to cash or bonds if Stocks become more than 5% more than target allocation. Do the reverse after a major selloff, invest some cash to buy stock. Holding lowest-cost index funds is definitely the best way to go.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Over the years I've had an investment account with Schwab, a separate IRA account with Schwab, and another investment account with TD Ameritrade. Schwab recently bought out TD Ameritrade, so now I have all my eggs in one basket again. Guess I'll start looking for another alternative.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanne View Post
I have just been transferred to Schwab from TD Ameritrade as of September 1st. So, no experience with them yet. I will keep roughly 50/50 between them and Fidelity. No institution is big enough not to fail as we have seen in the past.
I agree no institution is too big nor too solid to fail. Using more than one well regarded investment institution (but not necessarily many) seems prudent. As does reading the ongoing ratings and reviews for yours and other institutions. Adjust as needed. Even Schaub gets some negative mentions. Long on T bill is one.

Beyond that diversification is about various types of investments not necessarily the differing institutions. That mix is personal and certainly ebbs and flows with the economy. No one (not even WB) is likely to get it right all the time. Good luck and reasonable ROI!
Old 09-13-2023, 02:06 PM

We have been with Schwab for years and really think they are one of the best. We can use online or talk with our personal or any adviser. They have always been very good with their advise depending on our needs. I would recommend them.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Isn’t insurance per institution not account type?

FDIC: Your Insured Deposits.
If you read the information in your link, you would have found the answer. I took the time to find the appropriate example in your link. Go to example 7; it's almost at the end.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Isn’t insurance per institution not account type?

FDIC: Your Insured Deposits.

This link will help explain your question and many of the other posts in this thread.

If a Brokerage Firm Closes Its Doors | FINRA.org
Old 09-13-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Teddy Wang was trading naked puts at Schwab.

Online Options Trading | Charles Schwab
I believe the Teddy Wang story with Schwab occurred in 1987 during the big October market crash unless there was another event.

I know that regulators have greatly increased oversight and regulation since the 1987 crash. Larger financial institutions now have risk management departments and risk management is even an established profession which is quite technical.

Regardless, diversify holdings across financial institutions if concerned.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
The fees would not be much lower in my case.

I reason I stay is that I read that a 401K offers more legal protection than an IRA would. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong on that aspect.
The laws vary by state, so you should do some more research if what you read wasn’t specific to FL. I think you’ll find that the laws here protect both types of accounts in most situations.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:37 PM
Default Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

[QUOTE=manaboutown;2255821]Recently I picked up a book by Charles Schwab, 'Invested'.

To say it was an eye opener is an understatement. It starts with why and how he got into discount brokerage as one of its pioneers. It then goes on to report the ups, downs and very scary times his company went through. I had no idea!

I know many people, particularly those who trade a lot, use Schwab. Although I have kept a small account at Schwab for years I rarely used it. Then last year and earlier this year I sold a couple commercial real estate properties and deposited the proceeds into Schwab, primarily because I wanted to put it into T-bills. Schwab allows a retail investor to buy and sell them whereas the other two brokerages where I have historically kept most of my securities do not.

Then, surprise, surprise, I started getting phone calls from a Schwab 'Advisor' which I ignored for a time. Eventually I returned a call just to let him know I existed. When he discovered I was not a newbie and had other accounts he urged, just short of insisted, I transfer them to Schwab. I declined and told him I had a pretty good memory and remember Lehman Bros. and others which he seemed to grasp. I thereafter discovered Schwab at that time held some long term treasuries which were destined to go down as interest were rising so I still feel a little skittish about it all.

Anyway after reading this book to sleep at night I feel I need to continue to keep my securities distributed among several wirehouses and wonder if others feel the same.[/QUOTE

Given all the big corporate hacks, and the risk of getting locked out of a single company, I decided to pull 20 percent of my savings at Vanguard and move them to Schwab. Not that I love Schwab. Both companies are fine. I just want to make sure I can get money out when I need it.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:39 AM
Veteran member

People don’t realize and a lot of posters here are confused thinking you have sign up to vanguard to purchase vanguard funds, same for fidelity. This is not true. There might be unique funds at vanguard, fidelity, Schwab, and other brokerage houses that you might not be able to buy if you don’t have an account with that broker. I’m sure you can buy a like fund with the brokerage house you belong too.

Instead of worrying about if your funds are safe, read how each broker handles each fund for ownership. In my Schwab money market fund, Schwab doesn’t actually own it, a 3rd party does so if Schwab would go under, my funds would still be accessible by me
Old 09-14-2023, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
The fees would not be much lower in my case.

I reason I stay is that I read that a 401K offers more legal protection than an IRA would. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong on that aspect.
You are correct that it could more difficult for a creditor to seize 401K assets than IRA assets, depending on which state you live in.
But that wouldn't be the determining factor for me. Being able to manage my own assets in an IRA is more important.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is a good idea to convert the 401K to an IRA. That is the first thing I did when I retired. Lower fees and more control and flexibility.
there is a feature in most 401s that allow you to pull money out after age 55 if you meet certain criteria (leave company after turning 55, 401k supports a 55+ withdrawal).We do have friends in TV that left and are at age 56 and are using their 401k $$$ to live off of.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...1k-withdrawals

Also, if you have Roth 401k and have not opened up and contributed to a Roth IRA, the growth of the money in the Roth IRA will not be able to withdrawn for 5 years without penalty.
Closed Thread

Tags
schwab, securities, feel, year, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.