Why hire an investment advisor/planner/counselor?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
These threads are becoming dog poop threads.........kind'a silly.

$40k to $60k in fees are nothing on a $100mil portfolio.
$40k to $60k in fees are painful on a $1mil portfolio.
"In my experience....."

Thank you Mr. Obvious:
"Most of these investment advisors have 1 main goal, and that’s how can they make money. Your goal is the same, how can I make the most money on my investment dollars?"
"The most beneficial way to handle investments IMO is for you to learn how to manage your money yourself, or learn enough to know when an advisor is worth the money you are paying him."

If you calculate what an advisors fee will be on your investments, you will be surprised what you have paid over a 10 year period.
Let’s make it simple: most advisor fees range from .7% to over 1.5%, so let’s take 1%. If you had $1M in investments, your cost for the fee is $10,000 per year, $3M in investments is $30,000 in fees per year.
Now if you had a $100M portfolio, you would be spending a little more than $40-$60,000 a year, you will be spending $1M a year in fees.

My point in this post was to share what your expenses might be hiring an advisor over a 10 year period of time on a portfolio that you spent decades building up. $500,000 (even if it is only $100,000), in advisor expenses over a 10 year period is a lot of money.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:10 AM

Why not take care of your own medical and dental needs while you are at it. And do all of your own car repairs, home maintenance and lawn work.
In my opinion there is real value in hiring a professional to take care of these things. Of course, its your money, and your time, spend it as you wish.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:34 AM
Default Investors

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
My experience talking to these sort of firms/people, and what friends and family have shared with me on their experiences, I have no desire to go with these investment advisors.
Most of these investment advisors have 1 main goal, and that’s how can they make money. Your goal is the same, how can I make the most money on my investment dollars?

In my experience and a couple of friends experience, a few advisors wanted over $40,000-$60,000 per year to manage my/their investments. Which is a lot of money, but take that amount and extrapolate that for 10 years: that’s around $400,000 - $500,000 or more in fees alone. On top of those fees, you might have some funds that have high expenses or loads. OR worse, you could be talked into an annuity.

The most beneficial way to handle investments IMO is for you to learn how to manage your money yourself, or learn enough to know when an advisor is worth the money you are paying him.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information.
My broker has always made investments grow. I make way more than his fees. If I don't make money then he doesn't. Been with the same company over 30 years
Old 10-04-2023, 06:36 AM
Default when

when I get like that I'll pay Fidelity to do it in their pgm not an analyst who knows if they are any good
Old 10-04-2023, 06:55 AM
Default Don't fooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
My broker has always made investments grow. I make way more than his fees. If I don't make money then he doesn't. Been with the same company over 30 years
Investment Advisors make money even when you don't.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
My experience talking to these sort of firms/people, and what friends and family have shared with me on their experiences, I have no desire to go with these investment advisors.
Most of these investment advisors have 1 main goal, and that’s how can they make money. Your goal is the same, how can I make the most money on my investment dollars?

In my experience and a couple of friends experience, a few advisors wanted over $40,000-$60,000 per year to manage my/their investments. Which is a lot of money, but take that amount and extrapolate that for 10 years: that’s around $400,000 - $500,000 or more in fees alone. On top of those fees, you might have some funds that have high expenses or loads. OR worse, you could be talked into an annuity.

The most beneficial way to handle investments IMO is for you to learn how to manage your money yourself, or learn enough to know when an advisor is worth the money you are paying him.
Absolutely right. Just diversify on your own.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Everyone is different

What is your position and what do you need. Do you have income sources other than your investments. In other words, if you have a decent pension and make a fair amount on your social security and don’t have to rely on your investments, fees might not matter. If you want to leave an inheritance and you want security on the principal, dividends might be the answer. Many posters have given you advice, but you have to understand their advice is based on the position they are in. My advice is to sit down with pen and paper, figure out what are your needs and wants from your investments. I believe that should be your first step.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:41 AM

I did do mine own, but I found life too busy to stay on top of it. As a result, I missed some timing to bail out or jump in, as result of that I lost a bunch for missed making money just camped out in big "safe" funds. I use mostly Fidelity now, because I cannot watch things as closely as someone that has it as their all-day everyday job. I would have substantially more had I made the change years ago. Everyone can make money when times are good, but then there's 1987, 2008-9, and 2020.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
I did do mine own, but I found life too busy to stay on top of it. As a result, I missed some timing to bail out or jump in, as result of that I lost a bunch for missed making money just camped out in big "safe" funds. I use mostly Fidelity now, because I cannot watch things as closely as someone that has it as their all-day everyday job. I would have substantially more had I made the change years ago. Everyone can make money when times are good, but then there's 1987, 2008-9, and 2020.
And probably 2023
Old 10-04-2023, 07:57 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearlythere View Post
Investment Advisors make money even when you don't.

I know. Right.

That thing they say about how they make money when you do is missing one word — more.

They make more money when you do. But they still make money even when you don’t. What happens with some of them is that they get to dip in quarterly to your money that is sitting there — up or down — they get paid.

That does not mean it is a bad decision to use an advisor if that is your comfort level. I just find the implication that they only make money when you do to be disingenuous.

I think a respectable, trustworthy advisor would be upfront and transparent about how and when they get paid. They are not doing charity work, of course, but they should be direct about exactly how they are paid — every single fee. If not, move on.

Boomer
Old 10-04-2023, 08:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
What is your position and what do you need. Do you have income sources other than your investments. In other words, if you have a decent pension and make a fair amount on your social security and don’t have to rely on your investments, fees might not matter. If you want to leave an inheritance and you want security on the principal, dividends might be the answer. Many posters have given you advice, but you have to understand their advice is based on the position they are in. My advice is to sit down with pen and paper, figure out what are your needs and wants from your investments. I believe that should be your first step.

Hey, Blackbird45, thank you. You wrote what I was going to write next. Absolutely. That’s it.

We each have our individual wiring when it comes to how we deal with money. I think a lot of it is based on Nature/Nurture — why we do what we do. Know Thyself is my number one rule of investing.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-04-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
(a) If you calculate what an advisors fee will be on your investments, you will be surprised what you have paid over a 10 year period.

(b) My point in this post was to share what your expenses might be hiring an advisor over a 10 year period of time on a portfolio that you spent decades building up. $500,000 (even if it is only $100,000), in advisor expenses over a 10 year period is a lot of money.
(a) Since you are saying "you"...... I have calculate, I have never been surprised.

(b) Again, thank you Mr. Obvious. There have been posts after posts after posts about broker fees and the cost over five years, ten years, twenty years.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
This statement is meaningless. What are the benchmarks and actual returns? Making more than fees. He better be. No idea how much risk was taken. If you want. Outsized returns invest in hedge funds

Long term stocks go up. Use index funds and avoid the fees.

Last edited by Babubhat; 10-04-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Katherine View Post
Why not take care of your own medical and dental needs while you are at it. And do all of your own car repairs, home maintenance and lawn work.
In my opinion there is real value in hiring a professional to take care of these things. Of course, its your money, and your time, spend it as you wish.
Agree 100%
Old 10-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Katherine View Post
Apples and oranges. The problem is that anyone can claim to be a "professional" financial advisor. The term has no real meaning.
Some are good, some are bad, and some are crooks who just want to steal your money.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, make, fees, investment, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.