"America Says" What do you think of when I say "The Villages"?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default I am a very liberal guy by even Boston standstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
When asked, I do feel a bit sheepish. A little embarrassed. Such negative press about STDs, the political displays that made national news, old people committing crimes I did not think the elderly were involved in, people using other peoples property for their dog excrement ,and not their own. I could go on, but I won't. Oh wait. The lack of diversity! We should be ashamed. Why do we only have people of color serve us , but so few live here. We are so lily white here its amazing. Certainly not a reflection of the real world.
but ashamed , I don’t think so , people like to live where there comfortable , and that can encompass many different reasons and yes including a large majority of white people here from the start , but ashamed at what,there are no restrictions here and for all the so called faults of the family they would sell a home to anyone, There is plenty of past and present housing discrimination but here in villages not the case and I could make the case that a liberal lefty like me can feel more unwelcome . BUT I DON’T CARE LOL

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 05-04-2021 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-04-2021, 10:16 AM

Blessed!
Old 05-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Default Katie Bells

Has anywhere replaced Katie Bells as "The Place to Meet
Old 05-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsaunt View Post
We've all heard the STD references though the White Power one is new to me. Have never personally had any run in with either here. For those of you complaining about lack of diversity here, come up with solutions to something you perceive as a problem. Currently on our street a neighbor has a new wife from Thailand and she has been welcomed with open arms by everyone. We all admire her spunk in navigating all the pitfalls of the English language. If other Asian neighbors moved in they would also be welcomed. This goes for Black and any other race, creed, religion, whatever. They would be welcomed and invited to the driveway parties.

The fact that we are mostly White in The Villages does NOT mean we are racist!!! If other races choose to come here, we'd welcome them. The question now is how to attract them. When you encounter these racist remarks from outsiders to our community, defend The Villages. This is now your home! Tell them the truth - all are welcome. No crosses are ever burned on anyone's lawn.

If you don't believe in the good will of this place and if you won't defend it to those with no knowledge of how things work here then, honestly, why do you call The Villages home???
This negative and false label/stereotype has been promulgated due to a video clip that went viral last summer of one ignorant man putting up his fist during a pro-Trump golf cart parade and shouting "W__ P___." A number of Villagers (including others in the parade) posted on this site that they were furious that this person did something so stupid (a couple of comments posted on this thread show that its airing nationwide by some TV news outlets and on social media hasn't been forgotten and has resulted in reproach on the community itself in the minds of some) and that this mantra is truly not representative of the mindset of most "caucasian" people in The Villages or elsewhere.

Last edited by D.Bolen; 05-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:06 AM

I just read most all of the comments about what people think when they hear The Villages. The comments that stand out to me is "white power" and "STDs". I don't know about the STD thing but if true then is says this group of older folks are not just sitting around waiting to die. Again for white power, I don't know about that, but will say I like not being a diverse community, we seem to be a community of mostly old white people and most seem to like it just fine.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 AM

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
I just read most all of the comments about what people think when they hear The Villages. The comments that stand out to me is "white power" and "STDs". I don't know about the STD thing but if true then is says this group of older folks are not just sitting around waiting to die. Again for white power, I don't know about that, but will say I like not being a diverse community, we seem to be a community of mostly old white people and most seem to like it just fine.
Well, it's easy to put the STD MYTH to bed (no pun intended)

Location Gonorrhea cases (per 100K) Chlamydia (per 100K)

Florida 156 499

Sumter Co. 39 157

Baltimore, MD 4,231 7,636

So looks like the media has had more fun with us than we have had with each other
I believe this myth started with the book "Leisureville" and has persisted ever since

A far as "white power" goes, I haven't seen it, and I have no use for it. For the most part, I've found Villagers welcome all into our community.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Disneyland for seniors!!!!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddfl View Post
Disneyland for seniors!!!!
I have heard that one extremely often.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage

When that book Leisureville came out many people at the dog park I went to back then were reading it and disagreeing with just about everything in it.

I thumbed through the more factual parts and skipped the sections on the alleged bedroom antics in the Villages. They seemed to be in there to sell more books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, it's easy to put the STD MYTH to bed (no pun intended)

Location Gonorrhea cases (per 100K) Chlamydia (per 100K)

Florida 156 499

Sumter Co. 39 157

Baltimore, MD 4,231 7,636

So looks like the media has had more fun with us than we have had with each other
I believe this myth started with the book "Leisureville" and has persisted ever since

A far as "white power" goes, I haven't seen it, and I have no use for it. For the most part, I've found Villagers welcome all into our community.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Sage

Grove Atlantic

I did enjoy Andred Blechman's book about pigeons.

Cannot say I have seen many pigeons in the Villages though and very few Mr. Midnight types. A few here and there. One moved to Clearwater because he was not getting enough action. I could mean the pigeon here.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Sage

America Says | FULL EPISODE | Game Show Network - YouTube

In case you have not seen Ameica Says I found an episode on YouTube.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Really enjoy this Game Show Network program and the host is quite fun.

If they asked "What would you think of first if I said 'The Villages?"; what would be your responses?
Depends on which side of the isle person on now days.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

omg! look how this thread has been corrupted! it began as a talk show subject & everybody & their cousin is doing their best to shut it down. YES! i like the show & the host. i've liked him since he was in 'Best in Show.'
Old 05-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Didn't we do this a couple days ago when the answers were:

Love bugs: cockroaches, fire ants, termites, palm rats, mating season for alligators, occasional black bears, sink holes, hurricanes, tornadoes, sand, flooding , dog poop, traffic, impact fees, golf course conditions, roundabouts, parking. Did I forget hot and humid ?

Drum roll - STD's
You can add tomatoes 🍅 now.
Closed Thread

Tags
america, fun, asked, host, villages?;

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.