Florida DMV practice test

Old 05-15-2024, 02:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,384 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The practice test was free for me. I took it (and passed) without providing any credit card or other payment information.

The basic rules are pretty simple. The "what does Florida call this" questions were not so easy.
I got most of the driving questions correct but the "what does Florida call this" questions were tough - although not relevant to driving safely. Also missed a few on how things such as how many feet you are supposed to be from curbs, stop signs, railroad crossings, etc.

Definitely worth taking.

The do some things differently in Florida!
Old 05-15-2024, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I got most of the driving questions correct but the "what does Florida call this" questions were tough - although not relevant to driving safely. Also missed a few on how things such as how many feet you are supposed to be from curbs, stop signs, railroad crossings, etc.

Definitely worth taking.

The do some things differently in Florida!
‘What does Florida call this’ should be our moniker on ToTV.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:54 PM

The Sheriff Station on 466 and Morse used to help new residents on living in Florida. Officer Bennett was great!
Old 05-15-2024, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,167 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
The permit exam has a total of 50 multiple-choice questions. To pass the exam, you must score at least 80 percent, which is 40 out of 50 questions correct. The topics you need to study and understand are covered in the Official Florida Driver License Handbook.
This test is useless without the hand book.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
??? Do you have the handbook with you in the car as you decide whether or not to stop for a bus on the other side of a divided highway with a grass median? The test is to see what you have in your head, not what you can look up in a book.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-15-2024, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,546 Times in 2,589 Posts

Quote:
Cheat!
Old 05-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
What is a passing score??
Passing score is on a sliding scale.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
??? Do you have the handbook with you in the car as you decide whether or not to stop for a bus on the other side of a divided highway with a grass median? The test is to see what you have in your head, not what you can look up in a book.
So you have memorized all the quantative answers on the exam?

How good are most people at estimating distances?

E.g.

9: You’re about to make a turn. When should you use your turn signal within ______.?

11: You should dim your headlights when you see an oncoming car approaching within ______.

25: You may NOT park your car within ______ of a fire hydrant.

35: When coming up to a railroad crossing with signals flashing and/or ringing, how far back must you stop?
Old 05-15-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
So you have memorized all the quantative answers on the exam?

How good are most people at estimating distances?

E.g.

9: You’re about to make a turn. When should you use your turn signal within ______.?

11: You should dim your headlights when you see an oncoming car approaching within ______.

25: You may NOT park your car within ______ of a fire hydrant.

35: When coming up to a railroad crossing with signals flashing and/or ringing, how far back must you stop?
I have not memorized all of those correctly. They were all on the test that I took (I guess it is not randomized) and I did not get all of them correct. This is a test to see whether you *do* remember 80% of what it takes to make good decisions. I feel pretty good that I was able to remember enough of the quantitative answers to pass the test without looking at any handbook in almost 50 years.

What possible good would an open-book test for driving be? Under what circumstances would a driver have time to reach into the glove compartment for a handbook to look up the right answer to the situation he found himself in?

And no, most people are not good at estimating distance. It does no good to know you should dim your headlights at a 500ft distance if you have no idea how far 500 feet is. But, maybe there is some value in at least knowing that your tires need to be close to the curb, your car needs to be not too close to a train or fire hydrant, and you need to dim your lights well in advance.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-15-2024, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
I have not memorized all of those correctly. They were all on the test that I took (I guess it is not randomized) and I did not get all of them correct. This is a test to see whether you *do* remember 80% of what it takes to make good decisions. I feel pretty good that I was able to remember enough of the quantitative answers to pass the test without looking at any handbook in almost 50 years.

What possible good would an open-book test for driving be? Under what circumstances would a driver have time to reach into the glove compartment for a handbook to look up the right answer to the situation he found himself in?

And no, most people are not good at estimating distance. It does no good to know you should dim your headlights at a 500ft distance if you have no idea how far 500 feet is. But, maybe there is some value in at least knowing that your tires need to be close to the curb, your car needs to be not too close to a train or fire hydrant, and you need to dim your lights well in advance.
You get my point.

Not so hard to take the practice exams and memorize those questions.

Practice Test - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Maybe the "trick" questions should be replaced by something more practical to every day driving.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,574 Times in 517 Posts

48 out of 50; most of the Florida rules of the road are the same as in Arkansas.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,167 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Isn't the object of the test to pass ?
What you have in your head isn't what's in the book, so in real life,
using what's in your head you have a good chance of failing a test.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Isn't the object of the test to pass ?
What you have in your head isn't what's in the book, so in real life,
using what's in your head you have a good chance of failing a test.
No, the object of the test is to determine whether what you have in your head and what you will use while driving is correct. If you have a good chance of failing the test based on what is in your head then you have a good chance of violating a traffic law and possibly being in an accident. If you don't pass the test then it is an indication that you need to change what you have in your head before being issued a license.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-16-2024, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
No, the object of the test is to determine whether what you have in your head and what you will use while driving is correct. If you have a good chance of failing the test based on what is in your head then you have a good chance of violating a traffic law and possibly being in an accident. If you don't pass the test then it is an indication that you need to change what you have in your head before being issued a license.
I got a popsicle headache!
Old 05-16-2024, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:

You are no fun

Tags
florida, dmv, practice, test, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.