Gas so $$$

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,723 Times in 3,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
But don't get stuck in a snow storm for any period of time because "electric" won't keep you warm very long in a car in cold weather. That battery pack will be depleted very, very quickly. AND, it's very difficult to hike for a gallon of electric to get your vehicle to the next charging station. Maybe they will come up with an extension cord that will stretch a few miles to your broke down vehicle? Does triple A provide a road side assistance electric charge for stranded battery powered vehicles?
That's why I'm in favor of hybrids that switch between battery and gasoline while driving. Sure you're still using fossil fuels. But not as much. And by your vehicle switching back and forth, the battery lasts longer between charges than if you relied exclusively on electric with no gas.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Induction stoves are the next greatest thing since sliced bread. They are reportedly more accurate and superior to gas stoves, emit no dangerous fumes into the air when not in use (gas stoves emit methane even when turned off), use less electricity than standard electric stoves. They can be pricey, and you might need to buy new cookware since your all-aluminum pans won't work on them. There's also a learning curve to using them but mostly that's because you have to "unlearn" your old habits, and old habits are hard to break. You no longer have to wait for the pan to heat up to the correct temperature. It's already there within seconds of placing it on the stove. It also takes only a minute to cool off completely, compared to the sometimes 20 minutes for a conventional electric stovetop. And so it's much safer.

You can also buy a single-burner induction stove for around $100. It's portable, sits on your counter when you use it, and slides into a cupboard when you're not using it.

That's an alternative to natural gas, not petroleum.

For vehicles that use gasoline, if the price of gas bothers you, then sell off the Hummer or the pickup truck or the Buick Park Avenue or whatever big wasteful boat you have that only gets 18mpg. Get a more efficient vehicle - you can find plenty of quality, comfortable cars that get better mileage. You don't need a V8 in the Villages. And if you want to travel in ultra luxury, you can always rent one for your trip.
Yes, because all that is soooo much easier than just using what we have now, plenty of fossil fuel. It's much better to keep it in the ground where it is safe. Poor working folks should just grin and bear it when it comes to the extreme expense of alternate power.

Last edited by Byte1; 03-16-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Remember when gas prices were a little over $4.00/gal in 2008
and just a little over $2.00/gal in 2020?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:47 AM

Thanks Brandon!
Old 03-16-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Sorry not the way it works and not greed. The stations bought the gas when it was high and have to sell it for the higher cost until they have depleted that inventory. Gas goes up and down with the cost of oil but it is slower to respond to drops. The oil suppliers control the price by controlling supply not the gas stations.
Except stations also bought the gas when it was low, but still immediately raise their prices when the environment allows. It's a one-way street.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:02 AM

The oil companies still making huge profits. Presidents don’t cause the prices to go rise or lower
Old 03-16-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And going up higher. Erggggg, I have to drive the gas hungry pickup truck on the 1,360 mile trek back north in a couple weeks, that’s gonna hurt. Besides filling up the golf cart, I haven’t seen a gas pump since I tanked up the truck in Altoona, FL on January 3rd.
Actually, it is starting to come back down.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,025 Times in 776 Posts

I have a totally electric vehicle expecting delivery of second one in April. May be investing in a Winnebago when a reasonably priced one is available so I can enjoy everyone’s pain at the fuel pump (only kidding).
Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 AM
Default I think to make electricity you need fuel to run a or keep the sun shining to charge

Batteries, we saw how good windmills worked in Texas when they froze in a winter storm they had to heat them up with electric from a generator using fuel

It's not optimal for sure. I'd love to see gas prices lowered. Heck I'd do a big happy dance and buy everyone a round at the bar if prices got down under $2/gallon.

But as long as people rely on oil, the oil refineries will have us by the cajones. There's absolutely zilch anyone can do about it OTHER than start encouraging and using alternative energy sources.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2022, 09:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Remembering it all just two years ago .
When the country was in lockdown and there was no demand? A great example of the law of supply and demand.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:24 AM

You may need to check your math. 1325 miles for 105.00 bucks? Did you forget to count the gas you already had in the tank before you left? You getting 45 MPG?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life View Post
Thanks Brandon!
LOL, that's so funny that you think the the POTUS sets gas prices..... me, I would be embarrassed to write something so wrong. In Europe gas is over 6.50 a gallon, I wonder if they are blaming "Brandon" too.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,037 Posts

[QUOTE=B-flat;2073076]No too hot here in the summer! Last trip we made from north to south cost (1325 Miles) us about $105. Come this May I'm guesstimating it could run as high based on $7 per gallon, time will tell. The good news is here based on how little we use our van it's about $15 per week.[/QUO

the heat will only bother you the 1st year or so, then it becomes the norm. @ that point 60* will feel like 32*.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,238 Times in 776 Posts

It's funny how the price goes up instantly , and they are still pumping last weeks gas from their tanks....
Old 03-16-2022, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
LOL, that's so funny that you think the the POTUS sets gas prices..... me, I would be embarrassed to write something so wrong. In Europe gas is over 6.50 a gallon, I wonder if they are blaming "Brandon" too.
Cancelling gas/oil leases, banning fracking and stopping oil pipelines absolutely has an effect on the SUPPLY of oil. Less supply, higher prices. Because oil is fungible, changes in supply here, affect the price of oil, EVERYWHERE.
Closed Thread

Tags
$$$, cuss, gas, word

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.