Gas so $$$

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2022, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I'm sure they're great and we will consider on when the time comes to re-do the kitchen, but OBB's suggestion of "just buy one" smacks of the elitism we hear when we're told, "Can't afford gas prices, just buy nan electric car!"

As if those who can't afford gasoline can afford a new car... Or a VERY expensive cooktop...
Please quote the post where I said "just buy one" in regards to an induction stove. I'm pretty sure I never posted that. In fact, I do recall very distinctly that I said that an induction stove is "an alternative" (not the only alternative, not the alternative you should, must, or are ordered to use, but an - as in - one of others.) option.

I also recall mentioning that you can get a single-burner induction stove for around $100. That, to me, isn't "very expensive." People around here will sink $200 or more into the latest air fryer - so comparatively speaking, a single burner induction stove is pretty darned affordable.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I'm looking forward to all the "Thanks Brandon" comments when gas settles back to its normal price range, having adjusted for the pandemic, supply gridlock, Russian invasion, etc.
Yep, in 3 more years
Old 03-16-2022, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
Like Kamala said the other day, we got what we voted for!

Yep, friend in need is friend in deed!
Old 03-16-2022, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
To me it makes no sense to spend at least $40k to buy an electric car even if I could afford to which I can't. We have a 2007 Chevy HHR and a 2008 Saturn Aura which had a combined cost of less than $10k, purchased used. They both have the same 4 cylinder engine and both get 34 to 35 mpg. on the highway. Buying a used hybrid or electric car would be a gamble because of the cost of replacing the battery pack which could fail. The gas powered cars will last much longer if maintained. At this stage in our lives we do not want to finance a vehicle purchase so a new hybrid or electric, or gas car purchase, is out of the question
That's why I'm not in the market for a hybrid. If I could afford one, I'd love to consider one for my next vehicle. It'd be terrific to not have to rely exclusively on gas. But my 2010 piece of rusting tin on wheels refuses to die, and it still gets around 30 mpg. Maintaining it is relatively cheap - maybe $400 every 3 years including oil changes, routine maintenance, and occasional belt replacements.

A hybrid would be more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain. But if I had the money - well - that's what money is for - spending. I have always been and always be a cheerful capitalist.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
Buy an electric car/cart!
Yes, electricity is free and never ending source. O wait are some areas having blackout problems in summer when all the air conditioners are running? I’m sure the grid will take hundreds of thousands electric car charging. O one more problem, lake Powell going dry, less than 1/4 full. So hydroelectric maybe be problem also….
Old 03-16-2022, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That's why I'm not in the market for a hybrid. If I could afford one, I'd love to consider one for my next vehicle. It'd be terrific to not have to rely exclusively on gas. But my 2010 piece of rusting tin on wheels refuses to die, and it still gets around 30 mpg. Maintaining it is relatively cheap - maybe $400 every 3 years including oil changes, routine maintenance, and occasional belt replacements.

A hybrid would be more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain. But if I had the money - well - that's what money is for - spending. I have always been and always be a cheerful capitalist.
Even if in market, lucky to find one right now.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I believe the reason we have "more efficient" vehicles is because our gov mandated it, period. When we first went to catalytic converters on cars, we found that many Japanese vehicles could pass our emission tests without the converters. Just a point of trivia. I do not believe that MOST folks make changes based on what is better for the environment. Most base their decisions on personal economics. Our lower income folks live a middle class lifestyle because of discount products such as you find at Walmart or Sam's. A point of fact is that our poverty level folks live a lifestyle equivalent to the European middle class.
I would wager (if I was a gambler) that MOST Americans would choose a cheap priced gas guzzler over an expensive priced clean energy car.
Increased gas milage was due to the gas shortages in the '70's...

Limits to how many gallons, and how often you could buy gas...

The CAFE Standards came later...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2022, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Please quote the post where I said "just buy one" in regards to an induction stove. I'm pretty sure I never posted that. In fact, I do recall very distinctly that I said that an induction stove is "an alternative" (not the only alternative, not the alternative you should, must, or are ordered to use, but an - as in - one of others.) option.

I also recall mentioning that you can get a single-burner induction stove for around $100. That, to me, isn't "very expensive." People around here will sink $200 or more into the latest air fryer - so comparatively speaking, a single burner induction stove is pretty darned affordable.
You neglected that you also said this... "They can be pricey, and you might need to buy new cookware since your all-aluminum pans won't work on them."

And at the end you suggested people just sell the cars they have and buy a more fuel efficient vehicle...

All which echo the current people saying "just buy an electric car!"

Not everyone can sell a paid for car and buy something else. Not everyone can buy an induction cook top (along with the new pans required to use it) and stick it in a cupboard when not in use. Not everyone is as fortunate as many Villagers...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2022, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Solution; sell “up north” and stay here!
Easy to say, difficult to do. I’ll sell the place up north if you are volunteering to take over the many responsibilities that exist up north, including caring for elders with dementia. Also, you will need to convince the wife it’s not necessary to have a place near the kids, grandkids, other family, and lifelong friends. You cover that and I’ll gladly sell. How sweet would it be to not have two homes to take care of, not have to travel back and forth between homes, shed a major ongoing and expensive responsibility, and cash in about 3/4 million in the equity of the northern home.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Easy to say, difficult to do. I’ll sell the place up north if you are volunteering to take over the many responsibilities that exist up north, including caring for elders with dementia. Also, you will need to convince the wife it’s not necessary to have a place near the kids, grandkids, other family, and lifelong friends. You cover that and I’ll gladly sell. How sweet would it be to not have two homes to take care of, not have to travel back and forth between homes, shed a major ongoing and expensive responsibility, and cash in about 3/4 million in the equity of the northern home.
True, a "difficult" choice. Some of us move down here and then end up with the opposite problem. Family sees what we have and ALL decide to migrate down here, around us. We have also found that being in FL we see our family (the ones still up N) more than we did when we lived up there.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Sorry not the way it works and not greed. The stations bought the gas when it was high and have to sell it for the higher cost until they have depleted that inventory. Gas goes up and down with the cost of oil but it is slower to respond to drops. The oil suppliers control the price by controlling supply not the gas stations.

Gas stations are the small fish and has no say so in price. So all oil in chain automatically goes up 2 hours after the price jump on stock market. I used to work in small grocery store when can goods had price increase the owner instructed me to remove all the prices on cans and stamp with new price increase. The same guy must be in charge of oil prices
Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sorry but I don’t care how much gas is in Europe. I buy my gas here in the good ole USA. Gas here in Texas is mostly $3.99 a gal. But if you look you can find it for $3.89 gal. So then why would I want to buy my gas in Florida either.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Sorry but I don’t care how much gas is in Europe. I buy my gas here in the good ole USA. Gas here in Texas is mostly $3.99 a gal. But if you look you can find it for $3.89 gal. So then why would I want to buy my gas in Florida either.
Well, if you were buying your gas in Florida, at least you wouldn't be in Texas. (although there is not much difference)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
9000 "LEASES", not permits... BIG difference... But a good obfuscation...

They still have to apply for the permits, they still have to be allowed to buil1d roads, and pipelines to move the oil that will be pumped...

THAT is where the holdup is. The current admin won't allow new pipelines, nor approve new permits to drill...
Biden has approved more permits than Trump. Look it up
Old 03-17-2022, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
Biden has approved more permits than Trump. Look it up
Most of those permits were early one and had already been in the "pipeline" for years...

And then there's this...

Drilling permits spiked then plunged under Biden - E&E News

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
$$$, cuss, gas, word

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.