Gator poop?

Old 03-17-2024, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Gator poop?

What does it look like and how dare they poop on my lawn.

Probably something to really worry about if you find some on your grass.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
What does it look like and how dare they poop on my lawn.

Probably something to really worry about if you find some on your grass.
Don't worry. Their owners will pick it up in a baggie. 😏🙄
Old 03-17-2024, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Since you made me Google it (-/

Alligator Tracks and Sign - Part I - Winterberry Wildlife.

Scat
Alligators do not urinate: Both feces and nitrogenous waste are excreted through a single opening – the cloaca. The scat has a unique consistency which makes it hard to confuse with that of any other animal. Because alligators have powerful digestive juices, you generally do not find hair, bones, or other recognizable remains in the scat. Rather, it is uniform and clay-like. It is brown when fresh and fades to beige, buff, or olive as it dries. When completely dry it is white and crumbly. The size of the scat depends on the size of the animal. An enormous specimen can produce droppings of several inches in diameter. Hatchlings produce tiny scats.

Alligators do not drop scats strategically for marking purposes the way some mammals do; an animal simply deposits one wherever it happens to be when it has to eliminate. Therefore, scat accumulations reflect time spent by the animal in that spot.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Since you made me Google it (-/

Alligator Tracks and Sign - Part I - Winterberry Wildlife.

Scat
Alligators do not urinate: Both feces and nitrogenous waste are excreted through a single opening – the cloaca. The scat has a unique consistency which makes it hard to confuse with that of any other animal. Because alligators have powerful digestive juices, you generally do not find hair, bones, or other recognizable remains in the scat. Rather, it is uniform and clay-like. It is brown when fresh and fades to beige, buff, or olive as it dries. When completely dry it is white and crumbly. The size of the scat depends on the size of the animal. An enormous specimen can produce droppings of several inches in diameter. Hatchlings produce tiny scats.

Alligators do not drop scats strategically for marking purposes the way some mammals do; an animal simply deposits one wherever it happens to be when it has to eliminate. Therefore, scat accumulations reflect time spent by the animal in that spot.
Very interesting. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM

Not to derail this very informative thread about gator poo. But it does remind me of a funny joke about grizzly vs black bear droppings:

MONTANA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME ADVISORY ON BEARS

Helena Montana, January 31, 1999
- In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen should wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them," a spokesman said. "We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear".

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear paw prints and scat.

A grizzly's paw is larger and its claws are longer than that of a black bear. Black bear scat contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Tags
poop, gator, find, worry, lawn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.