The Importance of Punctuation and Grammar Could Be Life or Death!

The Importance of Punctuation and Grammar Could Be Life or Death!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Throw the dog over the fence a bone.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

11 consecutive "hads". John, where Mary had had "had" had had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJBama View Post
I have learned from my professional life, that people who focus on punctuation simply do not understand the topic to make meaningful comments.
Totally agree, I focus way more on informative content than the formality in wich it was delivered. And to call it life or death, well, that is absolutely ridiculous. Things like cancer are life or death, not punctuation?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Platinum member

Perhaps in your experience but not mine. People who couldn't write well were a liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
nope
Old 06-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

While I tend to agree with those who downplay the importance in everyday speech and writing, we should be cognizant of the incredible importance that punctuation and grammer play in legal documents. As we get sloppier in our speech and everyday communications, I fear that at some point, misunderstanding is bound to occur. Perhaps even more of an issue is the misuse of vocabulary. Every day I hear news people and other announcers on TV use a word that has no correct application in the context it is used.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I learned from my professional life that people who are sloppy with their grammar, punctuation, and spelling are usually sloppy with other aspects of their work.
I frequently heard this from individuals who offered no meaningful value to the review of documents. Comments along the line. of 'change puppy to small dog'. This when the documents dealt with flood mitigation or something completely unrelated to canines.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Sage

I'm guessing that most people have failed to realize that this thread is in the "Just for Fun" forum. Is this failure to pay attention as bad as a grammatical error?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage

We all do our best. I make an occasional mistake like daily because I am rushed or distracted. People have other physical and mental shortcoming that prevent them from being perfect. To point it out is a crime. IMHO.

Each day when I left work my desk was spotless. Paperwork put in the proper place and the desk wiped down. I rarely had to type a disciplinary letter to an employee or proposal to a customer. We had a staff who took care of those things and each manager had to Proofread the letter before it went to its destination. I swear it's true but I was the go to guy for ideas, words, concepts to make a letter valuable instead of just a run of the mill letter. My boss on the other hand was a Hoarder and I don't know that there was actually a desk under all the junk. He claimed to be a genius and as long as he was paying I was going along for the ride. He couldn't spell to save his hide. I never made him feel bad or revealed it to anybody. Why would I, we were a team. He helped me to be a better Manager and treated me well for a long time. We worked on things together.

I have found a tool on the computer that is free and invaluable and it's called Grammarly. I also use a Old School Dictionary, Online Dictionary and Online Urban Dictionary. I was called out for misspelling the word They. I typed The. One letter off and the meaning of the sentence couldn't be misunderstood by a Grandchild.

I understand where Biker 1 is coming from with the Liability statement but I also think it depends on what your job is or was. For me, I was working either at a Quarry, Concrete Manufacturer, Cement Supplier or Masonry Supplies Business. A spelling mistake does make you think the person you received it from is about as stable as Jello but to point it out makes you look like you play Handball Against The Curb! Small.

We had one other Boss. He never wrote a letter in his life, everything was verbal and only to one person and never wore a watch because he had someone with him who wore a watch. Pretty Cool!

Some of the slips of a letter are funny as hell, BK has pointed out several that are fantastically funny. People and how you treat others and how you live are what really count to me. If you see things differently thats cool with me. To Each Their Own! Having a good laugh and not busting people seem to be more fun to me then being critical.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-15-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Platinum member

You clearly don't understand the difference between making arbitrary changes and writing well. You might have dealt with people who like to make arbitrary changes but that is not my point. Poor writing was unacceptable where I worked. It would reflect poorly on the organization if it was seen by clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I frequently heard this from individuals who offered no meaningful value to the review of documents. Comments along the line. of 'change puppy to small dog'. This when the documents dealt with flood mitigation or something completely unrelated to canines.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is in Just for Fun. The topic is how punctuation changes or errors can completely change the meaning of a phrase or sentence. It is not about the value of correct punctuation or grammar. If you wish to start a thread about that topic, please feel free to do so. Further off topic posts will be removed.

Tags
stuff, substituted, word, illusion, communication