Pop? Soda? Coke? Which one where?

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Pop? Soda? Coke? Which one where?

Pop? Or soda? Or Coke? Oh my! Have you ever been misunderstood?

I was a part of a recent conversation that turned to this ever so fascinating topic. After a few minutes of discussion, one of the guests retrieved his laptop to show us the following map. Who knew that somebody had actually made quite an in-depth study of this -- by county even.

So if you are having kind of a slow evening, you could liven things up by opening this thrilling link to a map that says it all. -- Not only does it say it all about what is said where, I think it also speaks volumes about whoever made this thing. But......

I have to admit, I think it's kind of fun to look at. (And NO it was NOT an English major who showed us the map. It was a science guy. HAH!)

And what's up with Wisconsin?

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Boomer the Easily Amused

Last edited by Boomer; 12-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Those mid-westerners crack me up with their "pop". In KY where I was born it's all Coke!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum member

Most of MA calls it tonic.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Sage

Pop cracks me up too. Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola, so everybody there who doesn't say Coke moved there from somewhere else.

Actually, soda sounds funny to us too. The only thing you can call it that doesn't make us laugh is... Pepsi.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Here in Central Pa it's Pop.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Eternal Member

Coke or Soft Drink in Virginia and South Carolina
PTurner - I agree - Pop really cracks me up!!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Sage

The kind of soda pop I like is Coke.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM

raynan- what part of MA are you from? In my whole life in Mass I would never call a "soft drink" tonic, unless it was tonic water. Generically it would always be "soda", never "pop". Specifically it might be Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc. I'm surprised that other areas might use "coke" as a generic.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Originally from Somerville, husband from Quincy but when we moved to Attleboro (on the RI border) they called it pop.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Well, I am from a coal mining town in Lynch, Ky---on the other side of Black Mountain from Appalachia, Va--and it was Pop----Not soda, Coke, cola but Pop. The link with map shows my area and Pop is what it was called.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomer the Easily Amused

I give up - What's up with Wisconsin? Was this a cheese quiz?

I did note that the red county in Nevada is the result of only one vote in the entire county.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 12-26-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Default From North Missouri

While the map showed a gray area where I am from, I would have to say from my town it was 100% pop. Course when you come from a town of 156 people there's not a lot of variety. LOL

From Liberty, MO
Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I was a part of a recent conversation that turned to this ever so fascinating topic. After a few minutes of discussion, one of the guests retrieved his laptop to show us the following map. Who knew that somebody had actually made quite an in-depth study of this -- by county even.

So if you are having kind of a slow evening, you could liven things up by opening this thrilling link to a map that says it all. -- Not only does it say it all about what is said where, I think it also speaks volumes about whoever made this thing. But......

I have to admit, I think it's kind of fun to look at. (And NO it was NOT an English major who showed us the map. It was a science guy. HAH!)

Boomer the Easily Amused
The lack of the consideration of "tonic" in Massachusetts, makes me suspect the validity of the whole survey. It makes no difference how detail the survey is if the details are crap.

Yoda
Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold member

All I know is that when my ex-husband ordered Scotch & Soda in Wisconsin, he got Scotch & 7 Up (more than once)!. Be very specific - Scotch & CLUB soda, if you please. Does anyone drink Scotch & 7 Up? I guess it's better than Scotch & Coke.

Once we had a cocktail party and went thru 2 bottles of brandy - everyone up there drinks Brandy Old Fashioneds - sweet or sour - I think sweet was Brandy & 7 Up, can't remember what sour was.
I'm pretty much a wine and beer girl now, much less complicated.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
Well, I am from a coal mining town in Lynch, Ky---on the other side of Black Mountain from Appalachia, Va--and it was Pop----Not soda, Coke, cola but Pop. The link with map shows my area and Pop is what it was called.
Hi sandybill2,

I know your territory, or close to it -- Cumberland. I have not been there though for decades.

When I looked at the map and saw how Kentucky split into east and west, I wondered if it was possibly because many from that area of Kentucky came to Ohio for more job opportunities after WWII.

I can remember even in the 1960's, there was an effect on the traffic patterns which were heavier on Friday evenings and Sunday nights, as people went back and forth from Cincinnati homes and jobs to "home." Also Michigan says "pop" and many went there from Eastern Kentucky to work in the automobile industry.

- - - - - - - -

And hi chuckinca,

That thing about Wisconsin, the pop-soda divide. -- I bet it has something to do with who settled where, but I don't know anything about Wisconsin. So I was wondering what the pattern was and thought there might be someone among us here on TOTV who could explain it.

- - - - - - - -

And hi Pturner,

I had always wondered about that Coke thing and if it might be because of the Atlanta connection like you said. And now, you are the perfect person to ask this other question -- what do you do when you want to order 7-Up? Somebody once told me that they called it white Coke. Have you ever heard that?

- - - - - - - - -

Oh my goodness. All of you, please forgive me. I think I am turning into Cliff Clavin right here before your eyes.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-26-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.