Two Dollar Bills

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I can count on one hand the number of times I've used cash in the past year. I use my phone most of the time.
$100 in cash will last me 2-3 months.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I keep one in my wallet, somehow decided it is lucky to have it.
When I did work for the seminole indian tribe in Hollywood the chief of the tribe would come every holiday season and give me 10 $2 bills. They considered them lucky.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:16 AM
Default $2 bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Does anyone use two dollar bills, except me? I always have them in my wallet and use them to pay for small purchases and in restaurants. They are almost impossible to find, but you can order them from the bank. I order a hundred at a time. Much more useful than one dollar bills, and they are usually new and crisp. Give it a try. It's fun to see people's reaction.
Rarely see these and consider them like a collectible. We do have one with Bill Clinton on it. 😆
Old 01-24-2023, 09:40 AM

At the company I worked at gave a $2 bill when you applied for a patent. Thomas Jefferson was credited for establishing the USPTO. When I retired, I had a fair number of the bills which are now in a drawer.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone use two dollar bills, except me? I always have them in my wallet and use them to pay for small purchases and in restaurants. They are almost impossible to find, but you can order them from the bank. I order a hundred at a time. Much more useful than one dollar bills, and they are usually new and crisp. Give it a try. It's fun to see people's reaction.
I use them with the grandchildren, makes me the coolest with them. We told them that I printed them myself but had to change that story. They tried it on their parents printer. Poppa isn’t into forgery. Ooops!
Old 01-24-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
They are a total pain in the axx to businesses they require special handling and counting, do the businesses a favor use $ 1 dollar bills. Believe me they don’t enjoy your little idiosyncrasy.
The same goes for the one-dollar coins. Remember the president dollar coins? We have billions of them sitting in government vaults Under the act from congress we had to continue to make them. What a waste of tax dollars.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
They are a total pain in the axx to businesses they require special handling and counting, do the businesses a favor use $ 1 dollar bills. Believe me they don’t enjoy your little idiosyncrasy.
I don't think they have any trouble taking any money.... The servers like them for tips, the business usually puts them under the cash drawer where they also put 50's and 100's. Your belief they consider it an idiosyncrasy is your issue, doesn't seem to be theirs. Our currency is so boring compared to other Countries.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2023, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston1945 View Post
The same goes for the one-dollar coins. Remember the president dollar coins? We have billions of them sitting in government vaults Under the act from congress we had to continue to make them. What a waste of tax dollars.
LOL. You mean the Government has been wasting tax dollars? At least the money in the vault is being saved. But, they are still making two dollar bills and putting them into circulation.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
You are probably the only one.
NOPE I am number two. If, someone paid ,me with a two dollar bill, I've never had anyone pull that. I would ask them to give me real money. I would not be amused. Now if anyone wants to pay me in SILVER currency, I will gladly accept them at face value.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
LOL. You mean the Government has been wasting tax dollars? At least the money in the vault is being saved. But, they are still making two dollar bills and putting them into circulation.
Actually the government makes quite a bit of money with stamp collectors who pay for a service and put the stamp in a book or whatever. All the different quarters. I was saving them. I still have a can full. I get no interest on them. Were I to sell them the bank would give me a quarter. A coin dealer would give me less than a quarter for them.

Pennies not legal to do it but there is more than a penny worth of scrap copper in each.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I had a friend who found a good use for $2 bills. He and his wife would go shopping in little towns that still had downtown shops. This was before cell phones. He didn't like to shop, so he would get a paper to read on a park bench and give his wife a handful of $2 bills and told his wife to go shopping and he would find her when he was ready to go. When he was ready to go, he would simply walk up the street and ask at various stores whether they had seen a lady spending $2 bills. He would follow her trail until he found her. That was when $2 would buy more than 1/2 Dozen eggs.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:13 AM

I still have the one that I kept since the 80s. Didn't think you could order them from a bank for gags. Maybe I'll do that one day.

Quote:
None of those counters thinks of swapping them out with their own S1 bills?
Old 01-25-2023, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,522 Posts

I used to bring a bag of very old English pennies and half pennies over with us each winter we stayed in TV.
Used to give them to couples we were paired with on golf course as ball markers.
Got a load of them still, and use tins full as doorstops!
If you soak them in Coca Cola they come up like new.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:00 AM

I lived in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Lots of military. One of the military bases were not feeling welcomed by the community. As the story goes, back in the day when the service men & women were paid in cash, the commanding officer ordered all the payroll to be paid in $2 bills. When the community was flooded in $2 bills he got a call from the mayor wanting to know what was up ? He then reminded the mayor of the economic impact his base had on the community.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I lived in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Lots of military. One of the military bases were not feeling welcomed by the community. As the story goes, back in the day when the service men & women were paid in cash, the commanding officer ordered all the payroll to be paid in $2 bills. When the community was flooded in $2 bills he got a call from the mayor wanting to know what was up ? He then reminded the mayor of the economic impact his base had on the community.
See post #19...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
dollar, bills, order, hundred, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.