villages school system

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Did you ever have kids in school wherever you came from?
No. My husband and I are child-free, but we paid school taxes until we turned 62, then we were exempt in Cobb County, GA.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:57 AM

Auto-corrected to Are the Villages Schools supported by county taxes?
Old 09-01-2023, 10:04 AM

Charter school teachers are paid less than public school teachers.

How Private, Public, and Charter Schools Pay Teachers
Old 09-01-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePeach View Post
No. My husband and I are child-free, but we paid school taxes until we turned 62, then we were exempt in Cobb County, GA.
GA. That explains it.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
Charter school teachers are paid less than public school teachers.

How Private, Public, and Charter Schools Pay Teachers
From the article:
Charter schools receive state but not local funding, so they are reliant on grants and donations.
That is not the case in Sumter County and probably all of Florida. Looking at the school budget, a good chunk of local money is transferred to the Villages Charter Schools for instruction.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-01-2023, 11:10 AM

In a community larger than many cities in this state where none of the residences are permitted to have school age children, I do not think it is unfair for residents to have a debate over property taxes in context with public school funding. TV is somewhat unique in this regard because of its size and its restrictions. I am not advocating doing away with property taxes only keeping the lines of communication open. Cleary public officials need to justify any and all taxes given the situation here. As I feel they have to date.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:14 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Sad that the local schools are some of the worst public schools in the country. The Villages can pick and choose who goes there, they don't accept problem or disabled kids like public schools have to ,and parents have to donate so many hours a month volunteering ( meaning most have two parents and are upper middle, not average income for the area). You can not compare the two. If a kid gets in trouble, the charter school can kick them out, I heard same with grades( why they have that 98% rating) a public school must do everything humanly to keep all kids in school.
It is sad kids around here are getting such a poor medication while the county is raking in the cash..

A couple of months ago I saw something pretty revealing. TV Charter schools serve 38% of the public school students in this school district but use up only 30% of the available revenue. This fact does not sit well with some of the more vociferous critics.

Also, of the total number of villagers as of 2023 (145,000, give or take), 80% of that number, or 116,000, are also residents of Sumter County. Considering that the total population of Sumter County is 144,970, that means that
over 80% of the total population of the County are also Villagers, meaning that The Villages citizens pay the lion's share of property taxes, from which the schools are funded, collected in Sumter County.

A rising tide lifts all boats.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Little confused on this one.... from what I get from this post, the Villages Charter schools actually have standards, the parent or parents agree to those standards and are open to also being involved, apparently (??) the parents LIKE the idea of a minimum of passing grades... not a bad idea, what good is a class if you don't study the materials involved enough to at least not fail, why even sit there if there are no expectations, and finally the post seems to say that other area kids are not getting their share of medications (legal, or illegal, doesn't say ?) just that they get "poor medication while the county is raking in the cash. No idea how all that works ? Does the county then use the cash for more medications ? Really think some need to do more research on how PUBLIC charter schools work. Very much like impact schools and funding where the federal government has military bases. The increased population of the base, just like a community like the villages that draws a huge number of "extra" workers from laborers to professions, and whose children could have a tremendous impact on the community... because it would have to dig deep to build additional schools to serve all these people... just like they would have to do near military bases if the school district did not get relief.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Little confused on this one.... from what I get from this post, the Villages Charter schools actually have standards, the parent or parents agree to those standards and are open to also being involved, apparently (??) the parents LIKE the idea of a minimum of passing grades... not a bad idea, what good is a class if you don't study the materials involved enough to at least not fail, why even sit there if there are no expectations, and finally the post seems to say that other area kids are not getting their share of medications (legal, or illegal, doesn't say ?) just that they get "poor medication while the county is raking in the cash. No idea how all that works ? Does the county then use the cash for more medications ? Really think some need to do more research on how PUBLIC charter schools work. Very much like impact schools and funding where the federal government has military bases. The increased population of the base, just like a community like the villages that draws a huge number of "extra" workers from laborers to professions, and whose children could have a tremendous impact on the community... because it would have to dig deep to build additional schools to serve all these people... just like they would have to do near military bases if the school district did not get relief.
I was somewhat puzzled by this as well. Might the original word have been a misspelling of "education" which was then autocorrected to "medication"?
Old 09-04-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirl View Post
Sad that the local schools are some of the worst public schools in the country.[COLOR="Blue"] The Villages can pick and choose who goes there, they don't accept problem or disabled kids like public schools have to[/COLOR] ,and parents have to donate so many hours a month volunteering ( meaning most have two parents and are upper middle, not average income for the area). You can not compare the two. If a kid gets in trouble, the charter school can kick them out, I heard same with grades( why they have that 98% rating) a public school must do everything humanly to keep all kids in school.
It is sad kids around here are getting such a poor medication while the county is raking in the cash..

A couple of months ago I saw something pretty revealing. TV Charter schools serve 38% of the public school students in this school district but use up only 30% of the available revenue. This fact does not sit well with some of the more vociferous critics.

Also, of the total number of villagers as of 2023 (145,000, give or take), 80% of that number, or 116,000, are also residents of Sumter County. Considering that the total population of Sumter County is 144,970, that means that
over 80% of the total population of the County are also Villagers, meaning that The Villages citizens pay the lion's share of property taxes, from which the schools are funded, collected in Sumter County.

A rising tide lifts all boats.
[/QUOTE]

Some of the statements above are not true. TVCS does not choose or pick who goes there...its based on parents who work for TV in some capacity. You would be surprised how many low level performing kids with behavior problems go there and many from low income households (think of landscapers or custodial for example). They don't get kicked out as easily as you may think. These kids get personal extra attention from the educators and support staff to try and help them succeed. I know this first hand since I'm there.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, school, system, schools, suppoted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.