villages school system

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2023, 06:42 AM
Default villages school system

Is the villages schools suppoted by county taxes?
Old 08-31-2023, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
The Villages Charter Schools are public schools with teacher salary paid from county school tax dollars.

I saw a good Florida Charter School FAQ recently but I don't have the link for it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-31-2023, 06:55 AM

This is from their website:

The Villages Charter School (VCS) is identified as a "Charter School in the Workplace" and operated as a Florida not-for-profit corporation and federally recognized 501c3 charitable organization.. Established through Florida law, charter schools in the workplace are public charter schools with the ability to target a specific student population. Charter schools are public schools of choice. In our instance, the targeted population is the children of the employees of our sponsoring company, The Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc., the fastest growing single-site development in the country. Simply stated, our students are drawn from a workplace boundary rather than the typical public school geographic boundary. For the most part, our students reside in the counties of Lake, Marion, and Sumter (separate school districts) and are dropped off at school by their parents as they travel to work. Tax dollars are being supplemented with private commitment and investment.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
As I understand it, yes.

A couple of months ago I saw something pretty revealing. TV Charter schools serve 38% of the public school students in this school district but use up only 30% of the available revenue. This fact does not sit well with some of the more vociferous critics.

Also, of the total number of villagers as of 2023 (145,000, give or take), 80% of that number, or 116,000, are also residents of Sumter County. Considering that the total population of Sumter County is 144,970, that means that
over 80% of the total population of the County are also Villagers, meaning that The Villages citizens pay the lion's share of property taxes, from which the schools are funded, collected in Sumter County.

A rising tide lifts all boats.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

All charter schools are owned by someone and funded by State of Florida. Villages is one of few that survive, most owners drain the money and then close the schools. Saw that happen many times in South Florida.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
As I understand it, yes.

A couple of months ago I saw something pretty revealing. TV Charter schools serve 38% of the public school students in this school district but use up only 30% of the available revenue. This fact does not sit well with some of the more vociferous critics.

Also, of the total number of villagers as of 2023 (145,000, give or take), 80% of that number, or 116,000, are also residents of Sumter County. Considering that the total population of Sumter County is 144,970, that means that
over 80% of the total population of the County are also Villagers, meaning that The Villages citizens pay the lion's share of property taxes, from which the schools are funded, collected in Sumter County.

Push that cost figure to any teacher union and duck. Does not fit their agenda at all. Especially when charter school teachers generally are paid more.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
As I understand it, yes.

Careful, you’ll upset the school board’s cry of poverty with facts and their 17% tax increase may be questioned.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 09-01-2023, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

The cost to build The Villages Charter Schools was paid for by 3 people. Anyone wanting the best schools in the area should take advantage of it !

Fantastic facilities. A private investment to improve the community.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Careful, you’ll upset the school board’s cry of poverty with facts and their 17% tax increase may be questioned.
Very confusing when roughly 4,000 new home sales a year are increasing the property tax base over a billion dollars a year.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:59 AM

All well and good they want to build schools for their profit an opportunity to bring the workers here that’s on them. I should not have to pay for it if I have no kids in school.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamo View Post
All well and good they want to build schools for their profit an opportunity to bring the workers here that’s on them. I should not have to pay for it if I have no kids in school.
Did you ever have kids in school wherever you came from?
Old 09-01-2023, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Many who did not have children paid when I was in school. Now it is my turn to pay. That's how a community works.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Not about the buildings

Great schools are ran by great teachers. The buildings are nice, but salaries for teachers come from Federal, State and Local tax polls. In addition, I believe somewhere along the lines the infrastructure in question will have a rent that has to be paid for by the county?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 09-01-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
A well-educated work force is in everyone's best interest.

I will gladly pay a school tax to help the next generations.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
You should pay school taxes. When you or your children attended school all of the taxpayers n your town paid school taxes.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, school, system, schools, suppoted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.