Alternative to StAugustine grass?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2023, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Depending on where you live the deed restrictions may specify GRASS required. I have seen houses with 'floridia freindly' lawns that really do not look that nice (IMHO), but are allowed in that specific CDD, so as noted above fill out the form for ARC approval, no cost, takes about 2 weeks, and you will get your answer in writing.
Centipede is a type of grass that stays VERY low and requires less cutting. I am happy with the way it looks. I am NOT sure if it has the RIGHT "Mommy May I" approval credentials. It is pretty sad when OWNERS of their own property can't pick the variety of grass that they can plant in their own lot.
......What's next, the Villages decides whether residents are allowed to have red or white wine at dinner?????
Old 04-28-2023, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
The villages itself uses asiatic jasmine and perennial peanut along with grass. Sunshine mimosa can also be used. They can be beautiful and effective if you know what you are doing. I am a gardener and know how to utilize these ground covers. Most people do not do a good job. That being said, I am no fan of grass and all the water and effort it takes to have a lawn.
Right, grass is BORING and requires too much water and fertilizers, which tend to run off and pollute the Village's lakes. Peanut plants produce very pretty yellow flowers and can be cut with a lawnmower and can attract pollinators. And they are tough and hardy.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not really. I have had Centipede and it required cutting every week, just like the Zoysia I currently have. Height wise it is a lot like Bermuda, which I have also had. Have you actually ever had Centipede?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Centipede is a type of grass that stays VERY low and requires less cutting. I am happy with the way it looks. I am NOT sure if it has the RIGHT "Mommy May I" approval credentials. It is pretty sad when OWNERS of their own property can't pick the variety of grass that they can plant in their own lot.
......What's next, the Villages decides whether residents are allowed to have red or white wine at dinner?????
Old 04-29-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Not really. I have had Centipede and it required cutting every week, just like the Zoysia I currently have. Height wise it is a lot like Bermuda, which I have also had. Have you actually ever had Centipede?
Then you had the wrong Centipede. There is a big difference between the varieties. Common will do quite well, and you can get away with mowing it once a month or less and stay within TV standards.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Wrong Centipede? Really? Yes, there are different varieties. LOL. Have you actually ever had Centipede?

How to Mow Centipedegrass
Mow centipedegrass every 5 to 7 days when it’s growing. Keep your centipedegrass between 1 and 2 inches tall. Mow less often when the lawn is drought-stressed and raise the height by ½ to 1 inch. However, don’t let the height exceed 2 ½ inches.

Mow the lawn at 1.5 to 2 inches. Weekly mowing is the normal practice. Be sure to keep the mower blade sharp to avoid tearing rather than cutting the grass blades cleanly. During times of drought stress, mow less frequently and avoid unnecessary foot traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Then you had the wrong Centipede. There is a big difference between the varieties. Common will do quite well, and you can get away with mowing it once a month or less and stay within TV standards.

Last edited by tuccillo; 04-29-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:15 PM

There are 5 varieties grown commercially. Yes I have centipede now, have had it in the past, and have installed several centipede lawns for customers using sod and a few larger lawns by seed. Hands down the lowest maintenance grass in this part of Florida by far. IF you use the right variety. I love how in the winter after frost, when all the zoysia and St aug is brown, it gets that nice burgundy hue over the green.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It is my understanding that the grass planted has to do with the Ph and native soil components.
In some parts of The Villages, zoysia grows best. In other areas, it might be St. Augustine or another grass.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:54 AM

I've been told we have zoysia. I have to admit, I can't really tell by looking at it.

What I do know is that I've got a patch in the center, about 2 x 2, that doesn't want to grow much. The rest of the lawn area looks fine, it just won't expand into that area. I've fertilized, checked for bugs/larva, and nothing doing.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing? My next step is to get sod and just cut out and replant the bad spot.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
It is my understanding that the grass planted has to do with the Ph and native soil components.
In some parts of The Villages, zoysia grows best. In other areas, it might be St. Augustine or another grass.
The facts on why the changed grasses have nothing to do with pH or even what is good for the homeowners. The pH will be around 7.2 everywhere as all topsoil is stripped. and fill from a pit is used with no amendments.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
The facts on why the changed grasses have nothing to do with pH or even what is good for the homeowners. The pH will be around 7.2 everywhere as all topsoil is stripped. and fill from a pit is used with no amendments.
Well then, I'd guess you know.
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative, villages, rule, fly, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.