Availability of water for landscape usage

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Default Availability of water for landscape usage

My husband and I are planning to move to the villages within the next year. I am an avid gardener here in the Northwest (Seattle). We are hoping to purchase a house with a large birdcage in which I intend to pursue extensive container gardening.

We have not yet settled on exactly which villages we would like to move to. However, we are currently reviewing the declaration of restrictions (Covenants, restrictions and reservations - CCRs) for Village of Lake Sumter (which we are assuming are representative of the CCR’s of most of the villages). In reading these restrictions, specifically about the scheduled irrigation watering system, I am concerned about how much water would be available to operate a drip irrigation system for container plants.

Questions:
1. How do people typically water their container plants? Our set of CCR’s indicate that two water systems exist within at each home site – one for drinking water and one for irrigation. Are there hose bibs available on the exterior of the houses (or anywhere else) to allow for access to the irrigation water system or is the irrigation system basically a closed system with no owner access to it through hose bibs or other access means.

2. On the scheduled irrigation days, do you feel that the home owner has access to adequate water or is the metered amount very small? (I realize this is a very subjective question but I would value all opinions on whether or not you have felt limited in your ability to obtain adequate irrigation water to do whatever level of gardening or lawn watering that you do).

Thanks, in advance, for you input!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIJFI View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to the villages within the next year. I am an avid gardener here in the Northwest (Seattle). We are hoping to purchase a house with a large birdcage in which I intend to pursue extensive container gardening.

We have not yet settled on exactly which villages we would like to move to. However, we are currently reviewing the declaration of restrictions (Covenants, restrictions and reservations - CCRs) for Village of Lake Sumter (which we are assuming are representative of the CCR’s of most of the villages). In reading these restrictions, specifically about the scheduled irrigation watering system, I am concerned about how much water would be available to operate a drip irrigation system for container plants.

Questions:
1. How do people typically water their container plants? Our set of CCR’s indicate that two water systems exist within at each home site – one for drinking water and one for irrigation. Are there hose bibs available on the exterior of the houses (or anywhere else) to allow for access to the irrigation water system or is the irrigation system basically a closed system with no owner access to it through hose bibs or other access means.

2. On the scheduled irrigation days, do you feel that the home owner has access to adequate water or is the metered amount very small? (I realize this is a very subjective question but I would value all opinions on whether or not you have felt limited in your ability to obtain adequate irrigation water to do whatever level of gardening or lawn watering that you do).

Thanks, in advance, for you input!
1. The hose bibs are for potable water, usually one in front and one in back. The irrigation system is basically a closed system. However, additional irrigation lines with sprinkler heads or drip lines can be added.
2. You control what you use and it is really a pocketbook issue. Either thru the irrigation system control settings on how long a zone will run or the use of a hose using potable water. There have been restrictions in the past that only allowed irrigation once per week. Your needs in this case can be supplemented by the potable water.
Here is a page on the VCDD website Village Community Development Districts. discussing water.
10 Tips to Save Water | Water Conservation
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum member

There are hose bibs, at least two- one front and back. If you build from scratch, I imagine you could add more (like on the lanai)
Drip irrigation will not waste water (as you know!) so I doubt you will use more than we are asked to during 'drought' times.
The water is not parceled out or turned off after an allotted time by anyone other than the homeowner. If a homeowner uses extraordinary amounts, they may receive a notice about it.
There could be a leak the homeowner is unaware of (like a break in the underground irrigation) so the notice is as much a courtesy as a request to monitor usage. The Villages can track how big your lot is and they recommend water usage based on that.

When owners have new landscaping installed by reputable companies, forms are filed for approval and we are given more leeway in watering for the first 30 days or so afterward.
I have found that the soil here drains very fast- Where I could (up North) throw a bucket of water here and there on thirsty specimens during dry spells, it is wasted effort here. Trickle watering and limited sprinkling days/times for the irrigation system is much more advantageous to the plants and so a wiser use of water. Keeps the turf healthier too.

I do have a neighbor who has installed a rain barrel collection system as a supplement to her gardening and she is very happy with that.

I do very little container gardening anymore and no veggies at all, but have many in ground lovely things I tend.
Central Florida gardening is a whole new adventure for me. I had to do a lot of new research!
Hope you will be a Villager soon. WELCOME to TOTV. Happy Gardening!

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 05-15-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Sage

There is no reason why you couldn't add a hose bib to the irrigation water line. This would save paying the sewer charge on potable water used on plants.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
There is no reason why you couldn't add a hose bib to the irrigation water line. This would save paying the sewer charge on potable water used on plants.
This may not be allowed under Florida plumbing and/or building codes. I would check with a plumber.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM

You can set your irrigation clock as you wish.
not sure if you can access irrigation water for a hose. There are hoses but it comes from the 'expensive' side of the water. There could be a way to access irrigation for watering from a hose. We are going to try to do the same as I am an avid gardener! Good luck!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Sage

WOW - did not realize the hosebibs were on the expensive side of the H2O bill. Have been hand watering new plantings for the last 3 weeks with that water. Can't wait to see my water bill. Will definitely switch to irrigation tomorrow eventhough I will probably waste a lot.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Sage

What is the cost difference?

I thought on potable they added a sewer charge?

It is very easy to cut into the irrigation for a hose bib.

I had to re-route 5 main lines a while ago to get around the pool install so I know the system layout, pretty easy
Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Sage

As far as I can see, inside the meter is yours to alter as you please. That being said, I would use "purple pipe" to differentiate from potable water.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
What is the cost difference?

I thought on potable they added a sewer charge?

It is very easy to cut into the irrigation for a hose bib.

I had to re-route 5 main lines a while ago to get around the pool install so I know the system layout, pretty easy
Jimbo, easy for you to say
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Sage

I'll be happy to help U do it it's like ten minutes.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
WOW - did not realize the hosebibs were on the expensive side of the H2O bill. Have been hand watering new plantings for the last 3 weeks with that water. Can't wait to see my water bill. Will definitely switch to irrigation tomorrow eventhough I will probably waste a lot.
Hose bibs on your house having recycled water coming out ot them????
Don't you think there would have been a sign "Do Not DrinK?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Check your water bill -- irrigation water is not cheaper than house water in the higher usage ranges.

Drip systems can run of either irrigation lines or house hose bibs; I would bet that the cost difference would be insignificant.

During the warm season when your plants need the most water there is plenty of rain.

Gardening here is very different from up north (or northwest) but you can grow plenty of beautiful plants . . . just be prepared for a learning process!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.