Beware of Sunscape Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFlorida View Post
I had lunch with some friends today and found out that Sunscape is now doing work for TV, I do not know which contractor hired him to work but that he is doing work for one of them. This must be the reason he is not at all concerned about making homeowners happy anymore he has moved on to doing the new installs in TV. I thought that TV only hired good reputable companies. Somehow they got hired to do work with them. Contractors must not go on this site and read the complaints he has had lately.
I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who...

With this much sourcing and detail, I'll consider it a rumor.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran member

I would bet that many of the people who used Sunscape Landscaping were told that something happened to his right hand man and that is why there is a delay in his completing jobs. In my case the story was his right hand man was not paying his mortgage and the sheriff put all his furniture out in the street. That is why he pulled his men off the job. If he is working for the villages, that would explain why his service went down the tubes.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 AM

I had an appointment for Sunscape to do some work for me on April 18. To make a long story short, they never showed up. When I called I was told by the office person that they were busy doing work for the Villages (new installs) and could not do my work that day as promised. I hadn't paid anything so I am just going to have someone else do the work. They lost several hundred dollars in work from me but I highly doubt they care if they have the Villages install business.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

ok, till now I have not posted, but since I am seeing so much mis-info on Jeff and Sunscape, I have to tell the facts.
First, Jeff and Sunscape, always did me right, now have they treated others in a less then professional manner......yes. I agree with you all that they should have notified people of their change of client base, etc, and not just stop calling, not calling, etc.
Now, Jeff & Sunscape did some work for me on 15 April 2010. He moved a queen palm for us to another spot, planted us a double queen, and replaced 5 bushes that had died in the cold. All were done in a professional manner as he always did, and all look great. AND we were the last "private" job that Sunscape did. Here is the scoop: While there, I spoke with his right hand man, Bart, who actually OWNS the business. While they were putting in the double palm, they used an actual car wrecker tow truck, and I asked about the price of it. That is when Bart explained everything to me, and also why they were late that day to our villa. Jeff owns a Wrecker Company, always has for years. Bart, who was a friend of Jeff's began and ran Sunscape. Bart told me he doesn't like office work, etc, he likes to be out working with his men on the jobs they have. As he put it, he is a "hands-on" guy. It took him a while to get Jeff to join him at Sunscape to run the books, get the jobs etc so he (Bart) could work at the jobs they get with his men. Jeff after getting his wrecker business up and running, then joined Sunscape. The two of them ran Sunscape into the great Private Company it was and we all recommended, and Jeff had the Wrecker Company also, which by now was on auto-pilot, and still is. They added the lawn cutting/yard service etc also to Sunscape. Along the way they also did jobs for TV. Then late winter this year, TV came and made them an offer to be one of their main contrators for landscaping and irrigation system installers. Of course they took it, and that was the down fall. With the increased demand form TV, they were forced to sell the cutting/yard service, then they started cutting back on the actual private landscaping, till they cut that out totally also.
That is the whole true facts, no rumor, no 3rd party. Direct from them.
Bottom-line: Where they a good Company? Yes. Did they mess up at the end? Absolutely.

Army Guy
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
ok, till now I have not posted, but since I am seeing so much mis-info on Jeff and Sunscape, I have to tell the facts.
First, Jeff and Sunscape, always did me right, now have they treated others in a less then professional manner......yes. I agree with you all that they should have notified people of their change of client base, etc, and not just stop calling, not calling, etc.
Now, Jeff & Sunscape did some work for me on 15 April 2010. He moved a queen palm for us to another spot, planted us a double queen, and replaced 5 bushes that had died in the cold. All were done in a professional manner as he always did, and all look great. AND we were the last "private" job that Sunscape did. Here is the scoop: While there, I spoke with his right hand man, Bart, who actually OWNS the business. While they were putting in the double palm, they used an actual car wrecker tow truck, and I asked about the price of it. That is when Bart explained everything to me, and also why they were late that day to our villa. Jeff owns a Wrecker Company, always has for years. Bart, who was a friend of Jeff's began and ran Sunscape. Bart told me he doesn't like office work, etc, he likes to be out working with his men on the jobs they have. As he put it, he is a "hands-on" guy. It took him a while to get Jeff to join him at Sunscape to run the books, get the jobs etc so he (Bart) could work at the jobs they get with his men. Jeff after getting his wrecker business up and running, then joined Sunscape. The two of them ran Sunscape into the great Private Company it was and we all recommended, and Jeff had the Wrecker Company also, which by now was on auto-pilot, and still is. They added the lawn cutting/yard service etc also to Sunscape. Along the way they also did jobs for TV. Then late winter this year, TV came and made them an offer to be one of their main contrators for landscaping and irrigation system installers. Of course they took it, and that was the down fall. With the increased demand form TV, they were forced to sell the cutting/yard service, then they started cutting back on the actual private landscaping, till they cut that out totally also.
That is the whole true facts, no rumor, no 3rd party. Direct from them.
Bottom-line: Where they a good Company? Yes. Did they mess up at the end? Absolutely.

Army Guy
Thanks for the update and what had happen.

I guess the next question is: Who is a good landscape service to use for changes in our yard?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Gold member

Our neighbor used Mansfield, and they did a very nice job. Don't know the cost, but it look nice.

Army Guy
Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
nkrifats

Thanks Army Guy
Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The bottom line is that no matter how good Jeff, Bart, and Sunscape were, you can kiss any warranty you had with them good-bye, and you can give up on any return calls or correspondence. They are dead to us.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default landscape

My neighbor just used Kwik Kurb for a complete job. really came out nice. Bushes, trees, stone and curbing. Might want to give them a call.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Gold member

Chi-town, I agree.

Army Guy
Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Army Guy, I won't try to refute anything u said as I only know Sunscape Landscaping at the end and not when they first started in business. I spent $5,000 on landscaping with them and almost evry one of the 40 shrubs they planted died in a few months. About 4 plants are still standing. Aside from losing 30+ plants, what infuriates me is that they would not answer any phone calls nor emails. They just wrote me off. I would not use them to plant weeds around my house. I can only hope they treat the Villages they way they treated me and hopefully they can then join the unemployed in Florida.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Army Guy, I won't try to refute anything u said as I only know Sunscape Landscaping at the end and not when they first started in business. I spent $5,000 on landscaping with them and almost evry one of the 40 shrubs they planted died in a few months. About 4 plants are still standing. Aside from losing 30+ plants, what infuriates me is that they would not answer any phone calls nor emails. They just wrote me off. I would not use them to plant weeds around my house. I can only hope they treat the Villages they way they treated me and hopefully they can then join the unemployed in Florida.
I've seen Jeff's work and I've had him in for an estimate. Nice guy. But I'm sure glad I never pursued it. What a shame that such a great business would end up with such a poor work ethic.

I find it hard to believe that The Developer has hired a contractor who has disappointed so many past clients.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Hope he keeps his job with the developer because his actions or lack their of has destroyed his reputation
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Suspect

Has anyone tried All American Landscape? They have some problem getting jobs done.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Well Melz, maybe I am just a little more bitter than you with Sunscape Landscaping, but I hope the Villages fires him and he goes on the unemployment rolls.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.