Cost of Lawn Services?

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Default Single Service

There are lots of previous threads on this topic so you may want to search for them. You will find plusses and minuses for almost all of the major services and there seems to be some variability depending on the specific person that actually comes to the house.

We chose PTL as an all in one service. They do the mowing, weeding, trimming and both inside and outside pest treatment as well as shrub maintenance. We had to sign up for 1 year and can then switch to monthly, which worked well fo rus since we won't be moving down until about 1 year anyway. Price was about 1000 or so for the year for the total package. Once we move down full time, I will do the lawn work but we may contract the pest treatments. So far we have been satisfied with their work.

ptlservices@aol.com
352-307-7484
Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We changed our lawn service and went with Bob's Lawn Service. He charges
$45 per month for weekly cut, weed, and blow and for another $15 every other month he will trim our shrubs and we have quite a bit.
He is really good and would recommend him,
I use Bob's Lawn Service too. However, he just cancelled ALL of his accounts due to illness. I am looking for a replacement.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Default From Chesapeake, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshevock View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a new home in Buttonwood on Jordan Street and need some help to find a lawn service that is good and reliable. What is the average cost of this service?

We currently live in Virginia Beach and we cannot wait to move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hi just moved into T.Grove last week. Been looking for lawn care too. Read about John Kirks. Sounds good, going to call him today #352-348-9725. Are you moved into your home?
Have a great day!
Joyce
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Platinum member

We're using KB. We used them at our previous house and then picked them up when we moved to the new one. We got several quotes and liked theirs best.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Sage

I'm using lawn-pro. They mow,edge, weed, trim bushes(with cleanup),run the irrigation twice a year (replace parts as needed), fertilize and weed killer, and include 2 irrigation emergency calls per year. All for $40 per month, with NOTHING in advance. The business is owned by Mr. Hill (same as hill's gutters) and his grandson. Good people!! Excellent work ethic!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold member

We pay $100.00 per month, and never have to do anything but trim our bushes when needed. They take care of grass cutting, edging, weed killer, insect killer and fertilizer.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Lawn services is a largely unregulated industry with a lot of fly-by-night (with your money) operators around. You are doing the right thing by getting references from neighbors, friends, etc. Just avoid paying a lot up front (month is probably OK) as some scam artists offer "discounts" for (a) cash or (b) 6 month or 1 year contracts. "Cash" is usually under-the-table payments to an individual and never reported as business income for taxes. Longer term contracts (6 months, 1 year) have been know to take your money and never return. Another red flag - if they want the check made out to an individual rather than a business name - probably either no "real" business or under-the-table payments.

All that being said, most grass-cutting services for a "typical" TV sized yard runs $50-65 month. That would be weekly cuts most of the time, maybe bi-weekly in winter, plus trim, edge, and blow off debris. Shrub or tree trimming is extra. You may want a service to treat for weeds and to fertilize. That is
extra AND MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE. You may want a service to treat for household pests (ants, roaches, etc.) and that will be extra and will not include termite protection AND MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE. You may want termite protection and that will be extra AND MUST BE LICENSED BY
THE STATE. You may want a service to tweak and adjust your sprinkler system and check it periodically. That will be extra. Lots of choices to make and some do not need to be made immediately. Some you may chose to do yourself. Make sure you get all agreements in a written contract - too often they just offer a receipt for your payment.
One other little word of warning - if you get multiple of these services from multiple companies and something goes wrong in your yard, there have been instances of "finger pointing" - blaming each other for the problem while no one fixes it for you. The more you get from the same company, the less
"spreading the blame" there will be.
Thanks --you just answered some of the questions I had
Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
We pay $100.00 per month, and never have to do anything but trim our bushes when needed. They take care of grass cutting, edging, weed killer, insect killer and fertilizer.
Who do you use?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.