Fairfield Farms Nurseries Ripoff

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

I think “rip-off” is a fair description of the events that took place in the original post, which is where the thread title came from.

I enquired at FF about a landscaping estimate this summer and was told that they charge $50 for an estimate. The $50 would be applied toward the bill if I hired them to do the job, but if not, I'd be out the $50. I didn't bother to get an estimate from them. I was able to get a sufficient number of free estimates for my landscaping project.

Since then I’ve been into FF three times to purchase plants. I’ve walked out every time without purchasing anything. As a new Floridian I had a lot of questions about the plants I want to add to my landscaping but getting helpful answers from the sales staff at FF is like pulling teeth. I was made to feel like I was "bothering" the sales staff whenever I attempted to get my questions answered. Perhaps they are interested in and good at large landscaping jobs, but they don’t seem overly interested in small retail customers. That’s been my experience on all of my visits, including my last (and final) visit to them last week. I won’t be going back there, ever.

I went down the street to TerraScape and it was a wonderful experience. Bonnie, the nursery manager came right up to me and offered help. She even suggested a smaller (and less expensive) size container plant than I was planning on buying because they grow so fast. TerraScape is smaller and may not have as large of a selection, but they seem to have everything I’ll ever need and the customer service and shopping experience is far superior to FF.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post

I went down the street to TerraScape and it was a wonderful experience. Bonnie, the nursery manager came right up to me and offered help. She even suggested a smaller (and less expensive) size container plant than I was planning on buying because they grow so fast. TerraScape is smaller and may not have as large of a selection, but they seem to have everything I’ll ever need and the customer service and shopping experience is far superior to FF.
We used Terrascape for our last large landscaping project. Bonnie, the Nursery Manager is professional, honest and wonderful! At one point during our project I changed my mind after some huge plantings had been done. The following day Terrascape brought the large planting equipment back, removed the plantings, and let me choose an alternative from a truckload of choices. No extra fee.

I know this thread is about FFF, but I couldn't resist talking about Terrascape and Bonnie!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
i have a 6 foot high potted key lime tree. the tree is free the pot is not.
im a poet and dont know it!
if interested pm me.
I'm interested... Is it still available? I assume that I can transport it in the back of my SUV.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Gold member

yep...send me a pm and ill give you the address
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Default Beware of Fairfield Farms

Had Fairfield Farms replace some plants for me, and also redesign my landscaping. Discussed with the designer that I need low maintenance plants as we are not full-time residents yet. Her design, at that time looked
good - but when we returned about 3 months later everything was overgrown,and about half the plants was dying. Tried several times to get in touch with her and she never returned my call - ever!! This job cost us
over $2000.00. I will never do business with them again, and would not recommend them at all.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet View Post
Had Fairfield Farms replace some plants for me, and also redesign my landscaping. Discussed with the designer that I need low maintenance plants as we are not full-time residents yet. Her design, at that time looked
good - but when we returned about 3 months later everything was overgrown,and about half the plants was dying. Tried several times to get in touch with her and she never returned my call - ever!! This job cost us
over $2000.00. I will never do business with them again, and would not recommend them at all.
Most landscaping planted in Florida becomes overgrown without proper maintenance. Did you have someone do any trimming while you were gone?
All landscaping requires water. Was your irrigation system on while you were gone? Was it working properly? By that I mean were the plants in question being watered. Just wondering.................
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Default Beware of Fairfield Farms

Yes, our irrigation was working properly. I realize plants grow rapidly here, that is why I requested low maintenace plants. She put too many plants in a small area that had completed covered by walkway and entry. My biggest complaint is she never returned my many voice messages. I think they should have at least shown the courtesy and business sense to return my calls and to come out and look at the job they did. I have had to replace 75% of the plants they used - boxwood, hydrangeas, and other flowering plants.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet View Post
Yes, our irrigation was working properly. I realize plants grow rapidly here, that is why I requested low maintenace plants. She put too many plants in a small area that had completed covered by walkway and entry. My biggest complaint is she never returned my many voice messages. I think they should have at least shown the courtesy and business sense to return my calls and to come out and look at the job they did. I have had to replace 75% of the plants they used - boxwood, hydrangeas, and other flowering plants.
Welcome to you. It always saddens me when I see a first post be one that is a complaint against a business. But I guess there are a lot of people who just don't post until somethng goes wrong.

Fast as things grow, I haven't seen them grow so fast that in three months they were overgrown. I am surprised that if they died they weren't replaced. I don't know anything about Fairfield Farms but the fact that they didn't respond to you is very surprising. It is nothing for a landscaper to replace things that have died. They do it all of the time.

Someone can forward this thread to their email address and I bet they will respond on this thread, if they are still in business.

Do you know if they are still in business? If they are, it would be worth a ride over to their place and ask them to remedy the issues. $2000 dollars is a lot of dough. I sure would be visiting them in person if they didn't respond to the calls.

OH. I just reread your post. You replaced these plants and you didn't go over to talk to them first? So I would still go over and tell them, but the horse is kind of out of the barn now.

I wouldn't have replaced the stuff until I had talked to them. Are they still in business???????

Wow. They must be still in business because I just went back on this thread and read a lot of glowing reports from posters that post a lot.

I read further and saw that the manager, who calls herself/himsself LOVING LIFE had posted to this very thread so I sent him/her a PM and told him/her to get on here and respond. We will see who does what.....

Jes tryin' to hep.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I think the title of this thread is unfair, if you read all of the posts.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Welcome to you. It always saddens me when I see a first post be one that is a complaint against a business. But I guess there are a lot of people who just don't post until somethng goes wrong.

Fast as things grow, I haven't seen them grow so fast that in three months they were overgrown. I am surprised that if they died they weren't replaced. I don't know anything about Fairfield Farms but the fact that they didn't respond to you is very surprising. It is nothing for a landscaper to replace things that have died. They do it all of the time.

Someone can forward this thread to their email address and I bet they will respond on this thread, if they are still in business.

Do you know if they are still in business? If they are, it would be worth a ride over to their place and ask them to remedy the issues. $2000 dollars is a lot of dough. I sure would be visiting them in person if they didn't respond to the calls.

OH. I just reread your post. You replaced these plants and you didn't go over to talk to them first? So I would still go over and tell them, but the horse is kind of out of the barn now.

I wouldn't have replaced the stuff until I had talked to them. Are they still in business???????

Wow. They must be still in business because I just went back on this thread and read a lot of glowing reports from posters that post a lot.

I read further and saw that the manager, who calls herself/himsself LOVING LIFE had posted to this very thread so I sent him/her a PM and told him/her to get on here and respond. We will see who does what.....

Jes tryin' to hep.

Yes, Fairfield Farms is still in business; and Yes, I agree our customers deserve to have their phone calls and messages responded to in a timely manner. Please message me with specifics and I'll do what I can to help resolve any remaining issues. We also have a standard guarantee on all our plantings that's included in the delivery and installation pricing and we certainly stand by that contractual agreement with you. I hope to hear from you!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.