Fairfield Farms Nurseries Ripoff

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Default Fairfield Farms Nurseries Ripoff

I was at Fairfield Farms Nurseries this week looking for a plant. When I was talking to the clerk I mentioned that I had a lot of oleanders with orange catapillers on them. She told me that they would eat all of the leaves and could kill the plant if not treated. She also said that she had the perfect product to kill them. She had a bottle of liquid that you mix with water and pour on the roots. It is absorbed into the plant and gives a years protection from catapillars.
I bought a bottle for $24.99 and cut back my bushes to 6 ft. as instructed by her and got the bottle and bucket to make the mix. When I read the directions I realized that it takes 18 oz of chemicle per gallon of water to treat 1 plant. At that rate, I would have to buy 7 more bottles to treat all of my plants totaling $225. $24.99 seemed like a lot to me and $225 was absurd.
So I called UFL extension and they said that the catapillers were short lived and not to worry because they don't do any permanent damage. ( I wish that I had called them first.)
No problem, I will take the unopened bottle back, get my $24.99 back and forget the whole thing.
I talked to the manager at Fairfield Farms and she said that the clerk should have NEVER sold us that bottle or ADVISED us to use it, but they have a no return policy so the customer has to take the loss.
After much further discussion, and since the bottle was never opened, she agreed return our money minus a $5 transaction fee.
So I wound up getting hosed for $5, but even that leaves a bad taste in my mouth which is why I wrote this.
So at Fairfield Farms its Customer Beware even when they admittedly sell you the wrong product. It cost me $5 dollars to find out the kind of people I'm doing business with.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

thanx for that headsup!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Gold member
Default One bad apple

Now that manager should realize, because of one bad apple, the whole barrel will be spoiled. Moral of the story, always leave the customer smiling. By leaving a customer unhappy, then having the nerve to charge a fee for the cause of that unhappiness, Fairfield Farms are VERY short-sighted. Many people read and use this website. .....

Last edited by Boudicca; 08-13-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Tell us where Fairfield Farms is located so we never go there.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Tell us where Fairfield Farms is located so we never go there.
Try this link http://fairfieldfarmsthevillages.com/?page_id=221
Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 PM

I had a similar instance this past early spring when I got ripped off for two topiary plants that I paid $70.00 a piece for. They do not stand behind anything I've found. I almost had a major landscaping project done there, but thankfully I found Villages Palms and we and all the neighbors that used them and several TOTV friends are happy as well.
It is north of 466 on 301, as you go north it is on the right. Large establishment - hard to miss...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
I had a similar instance this past early spring when I got ripped off for two topiary plants that I paid $70.00 a piece for. They do not stand behind anything I've found. I almost had a major landscaping project done there, but thankfully I found Villages Palms and we and all the neighbors that used them and several TOTV friends are happy as well.
It is north of 466 on 301, as you go north it is on the right. Large establishment - hard to miss...
slight correction, going north it is on the left.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Do they have a sign posted saying that they have a no return policy? Also, where did this manager come up with this $5.00 fee? This is outrageous! It was their error and they should have taken back the product and returned your full amount.

We can control where we choose to spend our money and it won't be with businesses that don't treat their customers fairly.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Gold member

We went to Fairfield Farms earlier this year looking for fruit trees. Found one we liked and the price was $275 but we had no way to get it home. So we asked about delivery and planting and were told it would cost us $225 more. Our answer was no thanks, goodbye.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Fairfield Farms is located on 301 in Oxford.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the heads up...we'll never go there......

Frank
Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

On the other hand, we have done lots of business with Fairfield Farm and have no complaints. They do have wonderful stock.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Fairfield is a beautiful and well-cared nursery...too bad the manager lacks business sense.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

We had friendly service from the owner and couldn't be happier with our new garden and plantings from Fairfield Farms. Sure, some have received ill-advised treatment from a clerk, etc. but I suggest that many will miss out on a unique experience based not only on the negative comments from those that are unhappy but especially those that have never been there and refuse to give them a chance. Best advise I have received is to see for myself and let others do the same. jmho
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbuckSammy View Post
Fairfield is a beautiful and well-cared nursery...too bad the manager lacks business sense.
I've had good luck with Fairfield Farms over the years, they have nice stuff. I've never had to return anything. It's hard to believe that an establishment of that size would not have a return policy. Very poor customer service, I'm sorry to hear it. Even Lowe's guarantees their plantings.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.