A friendly reminder for weed control:

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Sage
Smile A friendly reminder for weed control:

There's a product called "Preen" that comes in a bright yellow container. It doesn't kill existing weeds but keeps weeds from sprouting. So you should pull all your weeds now, from flower and shrub beds, and then sprinkle on the Preen. It will keep you weed free all summer (about 4 months).
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Eternal Member

Who around here sells Preen and how much does it cost?

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

Z
Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart sell it. I don't know the exact price, but it is a little pricey. The downside is you must remove all the weeds by their roots in order for it to work. Once you do that, it will keep weeds from coming back for up to four months. It is not a weed killer, but a weed preventer, and well worth the money. Some of the varieties of Preen are also fertilizers.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

Z
Sams club.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

$34 a bucket
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Sage

recommended by the Plant clinic
Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I agree and as Jan says...if the little seeds have sprouted, they will come up and will need to be pulled. It only keeps seeds from sprouting and the malicious, nasty, creeping fingers of the zoysia and St. Augustine grass is immune to it too, because those nasty plants invade your beds with long creeping sprouts underground.

But it does work and we have used it for years. I think the larger quantities of Preen are cheaper at Samsclub.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Sage

Can someone confirm it works if you simply sprinkle on the rocks of your landscape. I have had great success with Preen, but have only used it on mulch.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Can someone confirm it works if you simply sprinkle on the rocks of your landscape. I have had great success with Preen, but have only used it on mulch.
Once the Preen gets down to the soil (either by falling between the rocks or by getting rinsed down there by the rain), it'll work fine.

Bill
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Once the Preen gets down to the soil (either by falling between the rocks or by getting rinsed down there by the rain), it'll work fine.

Bill
Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage
Smile

As far as price, Walmart had the large size container of Preen for about $12.98 plus tax.
That was more than enough to do my patio-villa yard.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Location: New jersey, Washington DC, California, The Villages,Florida
Default Preen is a good product

I saw this post and thought it was interesting because we had KGL Landscaping install our landscaping. They were very knowledgeable and did a super job at listening to our needs. We had Stellar doing our maintenance but we had to keep calling and calling them to come back for so many things. KGL suggested Preen as a preventative for weed control that we could do ourselves on areas that we didn't have the weed matting down. Like mulched areas. They work very closely with the Sumter plant clinic and also recommended we take a visit to their classes just to more familiar with our plants in between the maintenance days.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
There's a product called "Preen" that comes in a bright yellow container. It doesn't kill existing weeds but keeps weeds from sprouting. So you should pull all your weeds now, from flower and shrub beds, and then sprinkle on the Preen. It will keep you weed free all summer (about 4 months).
One of the few times I agree with you! it is a great product. Oh, it does need to be applied about every 6 weeks.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Sage

Just had beds (one of them pretty substantial) made behind my home. Had a disagreement with the landscaper about the weed barrier. He said he wouldn't do the job if I wouldn't put it down 'cause it would be a nightmare for me to keep on top of the weeds. Well I gave in and immediately realized what a mistake I had made. I have some slope behind the house and the first time I watered I realized the weed mat prevents water from penetrating the soil quickly and now I had a problem 'cause I am working with mulch, not rock beds. So had him come out and rip all the weed mat out and now I can water and the water soaks into the ground rather than run-off, but when
I am working in the beds planting I can actually feel a difference. An organic connection rather that a plastic barrier between me, my plants and the earth. Headed to Sams to buy Preen and will liberally sprinkle this product on the beds I am creating for my tropical garden.
If you are of the mind set to landscape for a particular look and never touch a thing again then the weed mat is probably going to work for you; however, if you are building a garden where you want to amend the soil over the years then you need to plant in garden soil, amend with black cow, and top with mulch. I LOVE the earth.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

I put Preen down the other day on my mulch. I'm hoping it does double duty preventing weeds as well as stopping my squirrels from digging up the mulch looking for food. They're making a mess of my sidewalk.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.