Gardening

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Sage

So if I plant by November 15, am I still in "the fall"?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
So if I plant by November 15, am I still in "the fall"?
Yep.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Sage

If I do the basic bones of the landscaping, will I have to cover anything if it frosts? I am weighing if there is any advantage to planting now versus March i.e. getting them established earlier before their growing season, letting them rest over the winter, or do I have more work to do if I plant now (covering them), losing them, etc.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Annuals. How long for them? Petunias?

My impatiens which I planted very early in the year were blooming beautifully for several months and I watered them faithfully...because I do know impatiens. They liked the shady spot where I planted them....and then with the same care, temperature and treatment, they upped and died.

So...I guess they do have a beginning and end, the annuals here.

How abut petunias? My begonias are still hanging in there.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Dear shcisamax.....There are so many types of landscape plants, shrubs and trees we can't offer much advice without knowing what exactly you are wanting to plant.

You need to find out if your particular plant choices are cold hardy, marginal or tropical varieties. Start with finding out what their botanical or common names are, and perhaps we can offer advice from there.

As was posted, many cold hardy perennials can be safely planted now.
Have you more info to share?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Gold member

Will Hostas grow in the shade in Florida?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Hostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Will Hostas grow in the shade in Florida?
I have never been able to grow them. Many of the plants from the northern states will "grow" here, but they do not flourish or last like they do up north. I actually have grown a Florida daffodil, believe me it is not worth the trouble, it will flower for maybe two years, after that it sends up plenty of leaves, but less and less bloom. I used to love hollyhocks and had collected seeds from all over Europe which had grown and reseeded all over my northern garden, here they were a disaster. I had the biggest green leaves and no flowers, it was like a monster growing in the garden. It's the same with Foxgloves, another plant which flourished and reseeded itself every year, I bought a couple of plants, they looked wonderful in the garden and then just sort of wilted away and disappeared.

It's rather like us trying to grow semi- or tropical plants in a northern climate, you may keep them alive by bringing them in and out, but they do not flourish as they would here.

It's really a matter of trial and error. I have been here six years and I am still in the "trial" stage. I get pleasure from gardening, but it is just not the same --------- on the other hand it's great not to have an early frost and lose everything in early September like I did in NH!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My impatiens which I planted very early in the year were blooming beautifully for several months and I watered them faithfully...because I do know impatiens. They liked the shady spot where I planted them....and then with the same care, temperature and treatment, they upped and died.

Gracie, this may help. (hope the link works) If you can connect, keep scrolling down until you see a table showing all the annuals, when to plant and when to remove. It's a neat table from U of Fla Extension, broken down into Florida regions.

CIR1134/MG319: Gardening with Annuals in Florida
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage

I will be putting in loropetalum, viburnum, plumbago, roses, bottle brush, standard loropetalum, seinisis (sp?) and weeping bottlebrush, foxglove, camelias, cypress pine ? I am pretty sure the regular bottlebrush will make it but I was advised to wait til spring for planting the weeping variety. Any comments?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I will be putting in loropetalum, viburnum, plumbago, roses, bottle brush, standard loropetalum, seinisis (sp?) and weeping bottlebrush, foxglove, camelias, cypress pine ? I am pretty sure the regular bottlebrush will make it but I was advised to wait til spring for planting the weeping variety. Any comments?
Only plant I would be worried about is the bottlebrush - the rest you should be good to go.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Gracie - impatiens will probably reseed here so you may be suprised come spring. Petunias and begonias should be winter hardy - if we continue to have nice weather I would cut them back and see if they hang in there for the winter.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage

Anyone cover or bring in their sensitive plants last night?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Not cold enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Anyone cover or bring in their sensitive plants last night?
Not cold enough to cover plants yet, I still have orchids hanging from branches of my myrtle and they are cold, but fine. Anything below 32 degrees is when you might need to be concerned.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Sage

Saw frost on the rooftops - might be a little chancy.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Sage

We're picking green beans from our garden... delicious. Lettuce is looking good. Peas are coming along, as are carrots.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.