GFI that trips when it rains

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Default GFI that trips when it rains

Does anyone know how to prevent a gfi switch located on a wall outside from tripping when it rains badly.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

If it is outside, it should be a weatherproof type that has plastic covers or a plastic box around it to keep out the water. If not, I would take a photo of it and ask Home Depot or ACE Hardware if they have a replacement.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

1 Is there something pluged in ? If there is it's doing it's job just cover exposed plug with plastic bag seal out the rain
2 If not and it's in a weather proof enclosure it needs replacing.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP, if the home is within the first year, call home warranty to have repaired. If not, I would go to one of the big box stores, and get a new outside cover, I like the ones with a big plastic cover instead of the small individual covers. It should be a simple task to remove the old cover and install a new one. If the problem continues, there may be another problem, either another outside receptacle or damaged wiring. You can get your house plans from Sumter county building department and one of the sheets shows the house wiring. This will give you an idea of where to look.
Hope this helps, and send me a PM with your contact info if you would like to discuss further.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

At my house they had 2 GFI's on the same circuit and the outside terminal one was always tripping so I replaced it with a normal plug which solved the problem. The new plug was "covered" by the inside GFI. I would say in general that the GFI's I have had and installed can be somewhat of a problem. The cheaper ones tend to trip more often.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Mine does it when I have my outside Christmas lights up. I recently discovered that it was being caused by two spotlights that I had on my palm tree. I unplugged those two light, taped up the extension cord outlets and everything it fine.

If you have anything plugged in outside, I would check that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
At my house they had 2 GFI's on the same circuit and the outside terminal one was always tripping so I replaced it with a normal plug which solved the problem. The new plug was "covered" by the inside GFI. I would say in general that the GFI's I have had and installed can be somewhat of a problem. The cheaper ones tend to trip more often.
There should never be 2 GFCI on the same circuit, IF the wiring is on the protected side of the first GFCI. If that is the way this was wired, and you removed the second GFCI, you are NO LONGER protected using the outside (second) GFCI. Please double check your wiring. In our house (2013 vintage), there are 3 GFCI in the garage that protect ALL of the outside receptacles including the ones in the lanai at the back of the house. The bathrooms have their own GFCI units.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

could be lamp post if on same circuit
Old 12-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There should never be 2 GFCI on the same circuit, IF the wiring is on the protected side of the first GFCI. If that is the way this was wired, and you removed the second GFCI, you are NO LONGER protected using the outside (second) GFCI. Please double check your wiring. In our house (2013 vintage), there are 3 GFCI in the garage that protect ALL of the outside receptacles including the ones in the lanai at the back of the house. The bathrooms have their own GFCI units.
I know there shouldn't have been 2 GFI's on one circuit but there was and the second one was always kicking the first one off. I have built 3 houses by myself and am aware of what I am doing but thanks for the input anyway.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

My covers are metal and spring loaded. Most likely moisture getting in when it rains if it only happens during rain. You should be able to see it when you lift the cover of course when it’s tripped. I would also check seal between the cover and the house. Make sure it sealing and not deteriorated leaking behind the cover?

Another thing what even you got plugged in has to be waterproof. If you got extension plug in laying out on the ground where moisture or water can get into the connection it will trip it. You can cover it up or wrap with plastic bag so the water don’t get in.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-23-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Added
Old 01-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

..........Another thing what even you got plugged in has to be waterproof. If you got extension plug in laying out on the ground where moisture or water can get into the connection it will trip it. You can cover it up or wrap with plastic bag so the water don’t get in.
I must string about 100 sets of Christmas lights (50 lights per string) at Christmas time. Should I wrap up each connection when I connect six sets together? Reason why I ask is that I have the GFI outlets trip when it rains when my Christmas lights are strung on the shrubs.

Until everything dries out, those outlets will not reset. Sometimes I have to wait a day or two (with no rain) for the outlets to be reset.

If all I have to wrap up is the connections that are lying on the ground, then that is doable and I will give that a try come this December.

Tags
gfi, rains, tripping, wall, located

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.