Grass Rant

Old 03-02-2024, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Grass Rant

Sorry, if you were expecting commentary on cannabis.

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino. I've had a contract with (rhymes with beans) for 11 years. It seems like their service ain't what it used to be. True, they respond to my complaints, but no improvements.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I maintained lawns for more years than I can remember, but I like my courtyard villa with zero grass. I feel your pain, grass ain't easy. Maybe your neighbor can give you a few tips, or better, hire them to take care of yours too!. best wishes and good luck.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I have used Massey for years, and my grass always looks good. They also mow, trim shrubs, and maintain my irrigation system.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

scotts Bonus S Southern mix..., Easy
even a caveman can do it .
Old 03-02-2024, 02:39 PM

Lots of variables on why one lawn looks better than the one next door. Did he apply fertilizer late in the year (2023) so the grass stayed green? If so, it might not have gone into dormancy. He could have also done an iron treatment as well. That will keep it green from what I understand. Not letting grass go dormant is not necessarily a good thing. It may look good now, but it has been denied the opportunity to rest. Problems might arise from a weakened grass.

Also, Is it the same type of grass as yours ?

I’ve got St Augustine and it’s slowly coming out of dormancy (greening up). I’ve been reading up on soil temperatures and how it affects grass growth. Currently mine are in the upper 60’s. From what I gather, once they reach mid 70’s to low 80’s it should take off. So if your grass is still somewhat brown, don’t stress out. A spring fertilizer should be applied now, so hopefully yours has or will be done soon.

Last edited by Pondboy; 03-02-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Lots of variables on why one lawn looks better than the one next door. Did he apply fertilizer late in the year (2023) so the grass stayed green? If so, it might not have gone into dormancy. He could have also done an iron treatment as well. That will keep it green from what I understand. Not letting grass go dormant is not necessarily a good thing. It may look good now, but it has been denied the opportunity to rest. Problems might arise from a weakened grass.

Also, Is it the same type of grass as yours ?

I’ve got St Augustine and it’s slowly coming out of dormancy (greening up). I’ve been reading up on soil temperatures and how it affects grass growth. Currently mine are in the upper 60’s. From what I gather, once they reach mid 70’s to low 80’s it should take off. So if your grass is still somewhat brown, don’t stress out. A spring fertilizer should be applied now, so hopefully yours has or will be done soon.
There are lots of lawn care companies out there and they will also want to sell you all kinds of services, some you need, some you don’t. I’d recommend doing some research on how to take care of your grass type. It might save you some coin.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Sorry, if you were expecting commentary on cannabis.

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino. I've had a contract with (rhymes with beans) for 11 years. It seems like their service ain't what it used to be. True, they respond to my complaints, but no improvements.
Talk to your neighbor and asking would probably be too much. 11 years with the same landscaper and now you are paying attention.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
scotts Bonus S Southern mix..., Easy
even a caveman can do it .
It’s a bit pricey but it’s about all that really works on this hibrid St. Augustine they used down here. Our lawn looks great year round.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-02-2024, 04:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

I use these guys. They dont mow. Just the fertilization, etc

Green Smiths Pest Control : Services

They do a good job, i tried 3 others that were terrible.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

I do my own mowing, trimming and edging (why pay somebody to do something I'm perfectly able to do myself) but use Florida Pest Control for everything else: weed control and fertilizing as well as pest control both in the lawn and in our house. Not the cheapest game in town by any means but are dependable, punctual and responsive to concerns.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=alwann;2306897]I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's./QUOTE]

There are many factors that can stress grass, especially if it is the wrong grass for that location.

Mowing too short is a common one, especially in the heat of summer or the cold of winter.

Overwatering is another - many people leave their irrigation turned on year-round.

Too much chemicals is a third.

The commercial companies just want to get the job done and move on so don't pay any particular attention to how your grass is actually faring under their management.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I use these guys. They dont mow. Just the fertilization, etc

Green Smiths Pest Control : Services

They do a good job, i tried 3 others that were terrible.
We also use Green Smith and have been totally pleased.....they don't mow. We use Oxford Lawn for aeration, topdressing and irrigation. They also mow and take the clippings with them when they leave....don't think they are taking mow only clients. All that from both companies has produced a great looking lawn (finally) but are not inexpensive. Their quality is worth the cost for us.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-03-2024, 06:03 AM

Scott’s Bonus S in spring ( now) and fall ( November). May and August use Scott’s turf builder for Southern lawns. DO NOT USE WEED AND FEED IN THE HOT SUMMER! You can stop there for good results. If you want exceptional results, In February, April, July, September and December I use Sunniland Natural. I apply this to grass, plants, and bushes. You can apply at double the bag rate. This stuff is the secret to amazing results. It contains iron as well for a deep green lawn. You will be cutting your grass twice a week during the growing season and for me, that’s ok. I have one of the best lawns in my area. Truth is, only DIY WILL GIVE YOUR GRASS THE NUTRIENTS IT NEEDS AND RESULTS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Usually not watering enough
Old 03-03-2024, 06:18 AM

I'm now using Fertigator. A small Florida family-owned and operated company here in The Villages area.
I'm so far very happy and impressed with the service and high level of detail.
The Highest Quality Lawn Care & Pest Control Services in The Villages, Lady Lake, Wildwood, & Nearby Areas in FL | FertiGator Lawn Care

Tags
mowing, lawn, grass, care, guess

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.