Grass Rant

Old 03-03-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Sorry, if you were expecting commentary on cannabis.

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino. I've had a contract with (rhymes with beans) for 11 years. It seems like their service ain't what it used to be. True, they respond to my complaints, but no improvements.
What kind of grass do you have - St. Augustine or Zoysia? St.Augustine is a weed and cinch bugs love it. Zoysia doesn't like over watering - that kills it. I have Deans and am pleased with them for my Zoysia grass. If you have a lawn contractor cutting your lawn and he/she doesn't clean/sanitize their mower before cutting your lawn, you could get a fungus that the previous customer had on their lawn.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Our pest control guy "Lee Pest Control" said the constant brown patch near our driveway was a fungus. He had put down fungicide before we moved in. I pulled out the dead grass and weeds on the patch as instructed, to make room for fresh St. Augustine spreading out. But it never really did spread all that well. The rest of our front lawn is fine. The back lawn was mostly destroyed because of an overgrown, half-dead Holly tree that was rooting under the foundation of our laundry shed. We removed the tree and the whole area is still mostly just dirt and weeds. We keep the weeds mowed, so it blends in better with the grass.

We also have a problem with a dog from the house behind us; the neighbor lets him out every day, and he usually makes his way to the area where the dirt patch is, and pees there. So nothing will EVER grow in that spot until they get rid of the dog - or until the neighborhood gets rid of that neighbor.

At this point I'm content to just let them have someone else's ugly back yard to endure. We don't go back there anyway except to mow it and for me to check on the lemon tree (it's blossoming, OMG the fragrance is intoxicating), and their lanai overlooks it.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:52 AM
Default Bifin IT

Bifin IT 7.9% once every other month all year.
Bifen IT | Bifenthrin 7.9% Insecticide | Fast, Free Shipping
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFollansbee View Post
Hi Joey,
Do you use anything for mole crickets? Thanks for all the other info. We recently fired our company and are going to do our own lawn too.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino. I've had a contract with (rhymes with beans) for 11 years. It seems like their service ain't what it used to be. True, they respond to my complaints, but no improvements.
Well, that is typical of almost everything in life. The person that does it themselves has a better looking lawn because he CARES about his lawn and it gives him PRIDE. The Commercial lawn noise-makers ONLY care about THEMSELVES, not you their customer. They know that they have practically a captive audience for their services. The faster they do your lawn, the more money they make and the quicker they can stop for a coffee break. The best advice I would give is to get approval for circles of stones or mulch around your trees and shrubs in order to cut down the grass cutting area and then cut it yourself or get someone that you trust. Then read literature from Florida University about how and when to fertilize and preferably use natural fertilizers and not too much so that it does NOT run off into the nearby lakes and pollute them.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
What kind of grass do you have - St. Augustine or Zoysia? St.Augustine is a weed and cinch bugs love it. Zoysia doesn't like over watering - that kills it. I have Deans and am pleased with them for my Zoysia grass. If you have a lawn contractor cutting your lawn and he/she doesn't clean/sanitize their mower before cutting your lawn, you could get a fungus that the previous customer had on their lawn.
I agree about the fungus and weed spreading by the commercial lawn people, who are NOT going to take the time to either spray their equipment or keep their blades sharp.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage

Can anyone recommend an organic weed application?
Old 03-03-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Well if you find one I'd like to know. Will have to read the comments. I've been lucky to find someone that will show up on a regular basis to mow the lawn. And then there was the one that missed spots and even sections of the yard. Same for pest companies. I finally found a reliable individual who did a beautiful job and he injured himself and won't be able to mow lawns for quite a while.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Grass re:rant

I started this thread. All the responses are helpful. I'm going to follow up with some of the recommendations. One repeated observation was about bad stuff being carried by mowers from lawn to lawn. Dull mower blades were suggested as another culprit. Funny thing is, I've spoken to the cutting crews from Deans about this possible cause, and they tend to agree. A lot of good that did. Reporting my concern directly to Deans management didn't merit a response. So, in the end, the best fix for this is to do my own lawn care. Not likely for this old man. Thanks. I'll keep looking.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:43 PM

If you go there do it yourself route, as I have done, get a soil test. Cost $31 took 10 minutes to prepare and put in the mail. Then within 4 or 5 days get report online telling you what you are high and low in and how to bring everything back into normal range to be a healthy lawn. It also gives listing of what products to put down and how often. Best info you can have or present to whoever picks up your yard maintenance. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
I started this thread. All the responses are helpful. I'm going to follow up with some of the recommendations. One repeated observation was about bad stuff being carried by mowers from lawn to lawn. Dull mower blades were suggested as another culprit. Funny thing is, I've spoken to the cutting crews from Deans about this possible cause, and they tend to agree. A lot of good that did. Reporting my concern directly to Deans management didn't merit a response. So, in the end, the best fix for this is to do my own lawn care. Not likely for this old man. Thanks. I'll keep looking.
OP, as far as I know, Massey is the only company who will do all services for your yard. Also, they will answer the phone when you call.
They are not best or the cheapest, but it is nice to only deal with one company for everything.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:15 PM

I've tried Massey and about four or five other services. I've fired all of them. They come about once a month, spend five minutes spreading some fairy dust, and they're gone in less time than it takes me to run to the john.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Can anyone recommend an organic weed application?
Your hands with a fork in them.
Works every time, and very therapeutic.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:48 AM
Default Green Smiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I use these guys. They dont mow. Just the fertilization, etc

Green Smiths Pest Control : Services

They do a good job, i tried 3 others that were terrible.
They just don’t call you back
Old 03-04-2024, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

I’m not trying to be a prude but I do my own lawn & my lawn looks better than most but I do see lawns that some people do there own & theirs looks better than most golf courses. I use to get a lawn service & it looked worse I came to the conclusion that they were doing your yard work only for the money, & they gave you some song & dance & blaming it on something else. I know some people & Lawn Service won’t give you do it yourselfers any credit but think they’re service is great! Personally I do my own & I think it looks better than any lawn service. Personally I think the grass down here is about as close to weeds as you can get, it terrible. Sorry but all I can tell you is do your own it won’t look any worse,sorry!
Old 03-04-2024, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Do NOT hire DEANS - they are scammers and their reputation is very low - claim to do work and have been caught living as evidenced by pics - EVERYONE HAS BEEN WARNED!!
Those living on my street who use them like them just fine...

They show up, as contracted, EVERY SINGLE TIME, as evidenced by my SimpliSafe doorbell and front yard camera...

-Tom Petty

Tags
mowing, lawn, grass, care, guess

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.