Grass Rant

Old 03-04-2024, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Always wonder why people would consider their lawns as a beauty contest. I’m happy if my lawn looks lawnish and fits in with the rest of the street. If it’s dry I call the irrigation guys, if it’s weedy I call Massey, and the mowers do everybody’s on the street so they don’t need calling. Lawns here are fighting the natural environment a little more than in many places and there is only so much effort and money I’m ready to put into it.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Always wonder why people would consider their lawns as a beauty contest. I’m happy if my lawn looks lawnish and fits in with the rest of the street. If it’s dry I call the irrigation guys, if it’s weedy I call Massey, and the mowers do everybody’s on the street so they don’t need calling. Lawns here are fighting the natural environment a little more than in many places and there is only so much effort and money I’m ready to put into it.
The best lawn in Florida is a stone lawn. But, the lawn maintenance people have a good HUSTLE, so they want to MAINTAIN their gravy train. Plus the more CO2 the lawn mowers spew into the upper atmosphere, the more the Global Warming, which apparently no one is really worried about.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Everyone KNOWS that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

I mow and edge my own lawn, but I have the True Green service and like it. Found out that I would spend just as much if I did it myself by purchasing the fertilizer and weed killer and then also having to apply it myself. My neighbor has dollar weed (very thick) growing all the way to the edge of my property and then it is mostly gone before entering my property. True Green has done an excellent job on my lawn and it is one of the best looking lawns in the neighborhood. Now, if I can just get the dog walkers to keep their mutts off the lawn...... Once a dog uses your lawn for a toilet, all the other dogs are drawn to that spot to contribute their donation. It's a shame we have so many folks in the Villages that have no respect for other folk's property. Love the dogs, hate the people.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The best lawn in Florida is a stone lawn. But, the lawn maintenance people have a good HUSTLE, so they want to MAINTAIN their gravy train. Plus the more CO2 the lawn mowers spew into the upper atmosphere, the more the Global Warming, which apparently no one is really worried about.
You're right, some of us just don't care, and some of us do not believe that we have anything to do with global warming, or Climate Change. Maybe if you worry about it, it will help the future generations, but worrying about it will just shorten your own lifespan. Personally, my using a battery powered lawn mower has nothing to do with my opinion of Climate Change. I use it because it is more convenient for me. If I had a larger property, I would use a fossil fuel powered mower. I have more problem with the unnecessary man caused pollen in the air, from all the vegetation that man plants all over the place than a little burnt fuel in the air.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
You're right, some of us just don't care, and some of us do not believe that we have anything to do with global warming, or Climate Change. Maybe if you worry about it, it will help the future generations, but worrying about it will just shorten your own lifespan. Personally, my using a battery powered lawn mower has nothing to do with my opinion of Climate Change. I use it because it is more convenient for me. If I had a larger property, I would use a fossil fuel powered mower. I have more problem with the unnecessary man caused pollen in the air, from all the vegetation that man plants all over the place than a little burnt fuel in the air.
Electric lawn mowers work very well and a person does NOT have to worry will the gas mower start and has the gasoline gone stale. I agree about POLLEN being a problem and it is nationwide, not just in Florida. The pollen problem is a subset of the Global Warming problem. I see pollen yellow dust on my car every morning if it doesn't rain. The Climate Changing has made the air and oceans of the planet show record high temperatures. It is RECORD high right now in the Gulf of Mexico. These temperature changes have affected the trees and plants causing them to produce more pollen........ALL YEAR AROUND. Pollen allergies have increased in the last 11 years right along with the temperature increases. These increases are all documented and can be found with a simple,"Google".
Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Sorry, if you were expecting commentary on cannabis.

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. .
My husband loves the challenge of taking care of the lawn and garden in general. He research the best grass to grow and is into organic methods not the chemicals these companies dump on lawns. And there is just something about care and pride. No company truly provides that.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:41 PM

I have used Massey for years as well because they are cheap since I've used them for so long. They go through people so fast you don"t know who you are getting from one month to the other and they are not very responsive to me at least for repairs. Last January I had a problem with my lawn and they said it was because of the freeze. Funny that not one of my neighbors had the same problem. Now almost 1 1/2 years later, with a lot of work fromm me, the lawn is almost back. DO NOT USE Massey.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have used Massey for years, and my grass always looks good. They also mow, trim shrubs, and maintain my irrigation system.
Consider yourself lucky. After my experience with them, I cannot say anything positive about the lawn/yard maintenance.
On the other hand. We still have them for pest control after ten years.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Everyone KNOWS that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

I mow and edge my own lawn, but I have the True Green service and like it. Found out that I would spend just as much if I did it myself by purchasing the fertilizer and weed killer and then also having to apply it myself. My neighbor has dollar weed (very thick) growing all the way to the edge of my property and then it is mostly gone before entering my property. True Green has done an excellent job on my lawn and it is one of the best looking lawns in the neighborhood. Now, if I can just get the dog walkers to keep their mutts off the lawn...... Once a dog uses your lawn for a toilet, all the other dogs are drawn to that spot to contribute their donation. It's a shame we have so many folks in the Villages that have no respect for other folk's property. Love the dogs, hate the people.
👍👍👍
Old 04-04-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I maintained lawns for more years than I can remember, but I like my courtyard villa with zero grass. I feel your pain, grass ain't easy.
Yep green grass (like we think of in the north) is not native to FLA.

I remember 50 years ago before FLA was so built up that it was the norm to have crushed shell yards... unpaved sand/shell roads.

Ah! Progress tho....
Old 04-04-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze729 View Post
I have used Massey for years as well because they are cheap since I've used them for so long. They go through people so fast you don"t know who you are getting from one month to the other and they are not very responsive to me at least for repairs. Last January I had a problem with my lawn and they said it was because of the freeze. Funny that not one of my neighbors had the same problem. Now almost 1 1/2 years later, with a lot of work fromm me, the lawn is almost back. DO NOT USE Massey.
We used Superior Services for a year, and by the end of that year in February our beautiful brand new lawn was totally brown. They told us it was dormant, but our kind of grass down here south of 44 doesn’t go dormant, plus every other lawn on our street was still green. We switched to Fertigator, and in less than a month our lawn is now perfectly green and gorgeous again with only two treatments by them. Our neighbors are flabbergasted at how quickly it recovered. Don’t use Superior!
Old 04-05-2024, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino.
And here's one.......
Ever notice when you hire these dorks to maintain your lawn and you
ask why it doesn't look right and they answer IT'S ALWAYS YOUR FAULT.
Your watering to much.
Your watering to little.
Your cutting to short
The suns to bright.
Your to fat
Your wife is having a affair.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Do NOT hire DEANS - they are scammers and their reputation is very low - claim to do work and have been caught living as evidenced by pics - EVERYONE HAS BEEN WARNED!!
LOL, when we were down recently it was interesting how many used DEANS as evident by the small yard signs in everyone's yard so they must pride themselves in that respect.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:28 PM

Curious as to what an average cost of a landscaper is in the villages for: edge, mow, debris removal, monthly weeding and shrub trimming, yearly trimming of trees, fertilizing quarterly, and irrigation. Can someone ballpark it for me.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

We let the fire ants do the aeration for us. They do a great job. We water with a hose because a pipe in the sprinkler system broke. Turns out we use a lot less water with the hose anyway, so that's awesome. We have St. Augustine, mixed with assorted weeds. It looks uniformly green when we mow it (ourselves) so we really don't care what those weeds are. Our lawn stays green for longer than the neighbor's, and doesn't go completely brown in the winter; just in a few patches. We have one stubborn patch around 3 feet long by a foot wide that refuses to grow but it's at the edge of the driveway near the road so we don't really care about it.

Tags
mowing, lawn, grass, care, guess

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.