Has anyone cleaned landscape stones?

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Default Has anyone cleaned landscape stones?

My landscaping is about 12 years old and was very well done. I have 6 large palm trees that have large seed pods several times a year. I have lots of red stone surrounding shrubs and bushes. Over the years falling seeds and assorted dirt have filled up my stones. My stone are now very weedy and dirty and don't look good.

My questions is, has anyone ever had their stone removed, new weed barrier put down and the stones returned after they were rinsed off? Does anyone know a company that might do this?
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlyray65 View Post
My landscaping is about 12 years old and was very well done. I have 6 large palm trees that have large seed pods several times a year. I have lots of red stone surrounding shrubs and bushes. Over the years falling seeds and assorted dirt have filled up my stones. My stone are now very weedy and dirty and don't look good.

My questions is, has anyone ever had their stone removed, new weed barrier put down and the stones returned after they were rinsed off? Does anyone know a company that might do this?
I recommend using mulch each year. It retains the moisture and allows your plants to thrive. Stones cause too much heat and as you have learned, don't keep out the weeds and droppings. Fresh mulch each spring is the answer.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, you might be stuck doing this yourself. If I were going to do this, I would use a leaf blower with the vacuum option and then alternate between the 2 to get the debris out of the stones. I would not bother with trying to replace the weed barrier, these typically last a long time. I hope you find someone, as I expect this will be a lot of work, definitely a fall or winter project.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 AM

Done this many times. Remove stone to driveway or roadway , rake out the stone depending on moisture use a hose or a blower, rake the stone around again, repeat till clean , return stone to the new ground cover.

When paying employees by the hour, trucks , tools, insurance, etc, I have to charge more to clean it, than to remove it and replace with fresh clean stone. Don't forget all the stuff you cleaned out of the stone doesn't just disappear.

Each 10x10 area will be 27 cubic feet. 4 cubic feet is around 350 pounds in a wheel barrow, so minimum 7 wheelbarrows per 10x10 area, if you are in GREAT shape, and have a commercial grade wheelbarrow. Then 7 wheelbarrows back to replace.

You actually have a common situation. The frugal fix, is to top dress with more stone, or mulch.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 AM

Rocks do keep out more weeds than mulch, and look better. But you should keep them clean as you go and not let them get a mess.

As far as the heat, it is a non issue for most plants. Stones can be abrasive to softer stems like with annuals. The stones touching your plants, should be in the shade of the plant they are touching anyway. And act as to insulate the roots below in reality, just like mulch.

What issues you have or take care of with your stone will depend on what plants and trees you have, what soil you have, what type of stone and size stone you use. what type ground cover goes under the stone and how it is placed. And VERY IMPORTANT, depth of the stone. Thicker the better IS NOT TRUE. It is the opposite. Spread as thin as possible so you don't see matting underneath. The thicker the stone, the easier it is for weeds to germinate on top of the matting.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:16 AM

You could do this yourself:

cleaning rock mulch - Google Search
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

What Ozello said " The frugal fix, is to top dress with more stone, or mulch."
Old 08-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlyray65 View Post

I have a guy who cuts out seed pods once a year. Keeps it cleaner. $25. A tree.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 PM
Location: 2769 Lyall Loop, The Villages, FL 32163. Village of Fenney

As far as the landscape curbing or landscape walls, I have power washed and then put concrete sealer on them and they stay bright and clean for many many years.
Closed Thread

Tags
stones, stone, large, years, questions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.