Help!!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Jeff Bieberfeld
Default nursery

like the bowler hat!
seriously, can you recommend a good nursery? i want to plan out additional landscaping, but being from PA I need some help in choosing.
thanks,
j
Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We'd planted a few things this past year, including a robelinni. It looks pretty darn brown to me. If it can't take the frost from this pretty hard winter, then it's outta here and we'll find something else.

I like them , but I'm not worrying about a plant and not crawling out in the cold to cover it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
We'd planted a few things this past year, including a robelinni. It looks pretty darn brown to me. If it can't take the frost from this pretty hard winter, then it's outta here and we'll find something else.

I like them , but I'm not worrying about a plant and not crawling out in the cold to cover it.
We have three quite large robellini palms--beautiful plants that fit our landscaping so well--and initially tried to protect them. I think we've reached the point of accepting that they may have been the wrong palm for the potential in our climate zone. If they make it, they make it, and if not, they'll be replaced with something more suitable for the frosts we do get from time to time. As we drive around TV, we see lots of palms that look perfect in spite of the frost. Much to learn....
Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Sid, I think we're now going to try a Chinese Fan Palm - hardy , frost tolerant, and among the smaller of the palm trees and still quite attractive.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Sage
Arrow Good to Know...

Quote:
Sid, I think we're now going to try a Chinese Fan Palm - hardy , frost tolerant, and among the smaller of the palm trees and still quite attractive.
This is good to know because where we have our Robellini's, we would need a smaller palm. And I will admit, I am palm-challenged!

That said ... I want my Robellini's to live!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm going to google chinese fan palms for more information. Thanks for the hint.

You may be able to negotiate a volume discount on chinese fan palms for TOTV members. I think many of will need to replace our hisbiscus bushes and robellinis.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

The Butia (Butia Capitata) might be worth looking at. Also known as the Pindo Palm and the Jelly Palm.
It has edible fruit and is cold hardy.
Not a beauty.....but has a great personality.
Pictures Butia:
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Palm..._capitata.html
Chinese Fan
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Palm...chinensis.html
European Fan
http://palmsrus.tripod.com/id19.html
Suffering from TV envy

Last edited by KayakerNC; 02-05-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNSCAPELAWN View Post
Chinese Fan or Pindo's are the most cold hardy. If anyone needs help or suggestions you may contact me by phone or p.m. We can also remove old or dead trees or shrubs and replace.
Jeff, I see on the internet that chinese fans palms are quite large, and "reasonable to expensive" in price.

Of course people love robellinis because they are so petite and darn cute!

Do you have any other suggestions for frost-resistent "cutesy" palms that are reasonable in price?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Default Cold damaged palms

I know the brown frawns look unsightly but you will do more damage to the plant by cutting them back now. Try to wait a couple weeks.The plant should survive if the heart was not damaged. Frost cloth will help against frost but cold is cold and some sensitive plants cannot handle this.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Help is right!!!

Never mind the palm trees, I may not survive this frost!!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.