Help Removing Indian Hawthornes Around Base of Oak Tree

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2023, 11:18 AM
Default Help Removing Indian Hawthornes Around Base of Oak Tree

I'd like to have the Indian Hawthorne shrub around an oak tree removed. They're mature and can't be simply pulled out. Some sort of stump grinding or other such device/technique is necessary. And of course minimal damage to the roots of the oak tree is a must.

Something that would kill the Indian Hawthorne without damaging the oak tree would be fine too.

I'm looking for a service that can perform such work.

Thanks.

Last edited by Davonu; 07-26-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:40 PM

For minimal damage to the root system of the Oak, your best best is to spray the Hawthorn with Round up to kill it. Then once completely dead, go in with pruners and snip the trunks of the Hawthorn.

Pulling up shrubbery is not an easy task. You’re better of killing and pruning as described above. The root system will rot within a year.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Read your deed restrictions - changing the landscaping usually requires ARC approval.

VCDD Community Standards

Old 07-27-2023, 06:07 AM

Just thinking….what you could also do ; if the shrub does not have too many branches (the more branches, the more tedious of a task) coming from the root ball. Cut those branches a few inches above the ground, then take a paintbrush and dip it into straight Round Up and “paint” the stubs of the shrub. This will help prevent any overspray (getting onto the oak) and ensure a good, quick kill.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Just thinking….what you could also do ; if the shrub does not have too many branches (the more branches, the more tedious of a task) coming from the root ball. Cut those branches a few inches above the ground, then take a paintbrush and dip it into straight Round Up and “paint” the stubs of the shrub. This will help prevent any overspray (getting onto the oak) and ensure a good, quick kill.
This won't work, and Roundup getting on the roots or trunk of an oak will not hurt it at all. You need to spray foliage for Roundup to work at all.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Read your deed restrictions - changing the landscaping usually requires ARC approval.

VCDD Community Standards
I've had shrubs die and pretty sure Mother Nature didn't get ARC approval. I doubt taking out or replacing a shrub needs approval. Building a stone landscape area, yes. Killing a shrub, no.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:09 PM

You need to spray foliage for Roundup to work at all.

Actually, you don’t need to spray the foliage. Just paint the cut end of the limb/trunk or stem of any plant with concentrated Round up and it will die. Trust me, I’ve done this thousands of time as I use to eradicate invasive plant species from forests.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:51 AM

I've read about and used the following method for killing unwanted shrubs and it worked great every time.

Cut the shrub to 1 inch above ground level, add some cuts to the stump to rough up the surface, spray or coat the stump with round-up or similar and finally wrap the stump with saran wrap and tie off with a string or rubber band.
Closed Thread

Tags
oak, tree, indian, damage, minimal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.