How To Kill These Weeds??

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2021, 08:16 AM

That's dollar weed. Ace has a liquid concentrate that you mix and spray.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 AM

I believe they are dolllar weeds.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:14 AM
Default Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-Ryzel View Post
Hello. I've got some weeds I've been trying to kill off. I've been using Scott's Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed but it doesn't seem to work on these specific weeds. I don't know what they're called... so I've attached a picture of them. Doesn't anyone have any advice for an application to remove them?
This looks like what I have heard called "creeping charlie". It can be killed, but you will need something more specific. Take your picture into a lawn care store, they should be able to direct you.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts
Default Second that suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbush View Post
Just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get BIOADVANCED Southern Weed Killer for St Augustine & other Southern Lawns. lawns - Kills Broadleaf weeds - 200 Plus Weeds - including dollarweed - Rainproof in 1 hour - I use it on mine and my neighbors yard.
We did exactly that. HD person gave us ready to use spray for st. Augustine & southern lawns already comes in spray bottle you simply attach to lawn. Killed the dollar weed and not grass at all. However, for us it has always come back eventually so usually have to apply every season if we see it starting.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Hello. I've got some weeds I've been trying to kill off. I've been using Scott's Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed but it doesn't seem to work on these specific weeds. I don't know what they're called... so I've attached a picture of them. Doesn't anyone have any advice for an application to remove them?
Bonus S and Weed and Feed are both combination fertilizer and weed killer products.
They both have the same problem. Weed killer is absorbed through the leaves so needs to stick to the weed. Fertilizer needs to be watered in or it burns the leaves. It can't do both. I use liquid weed killers. It works faster. Unless your entire lawn is full of weeds,
I would spot treat only the weeds. It will take about two weeks for it to kill the weeds but in a few days you should see the weeds are starting to be effected. If, not since you are not doing the whole lawn you can give em another shot. I use a simple trigger spray bottle. You can buy them or just reuse empty bottles that come with many products.
For bigger areas, you can use a paint roller on an extension handle.

As to strength of the mix. Instructions on most products I've seen say one TBS per gallon. It is a balancing act. The products will damage grass-more so with St Augustine
and more so as the temperature rises. It says 70 degrees. This is Florida. Few people read the directions and far as I know my grass cannot read.

Timing. I have Empire Zoysia. First of all your last application of fertilizer is in October.
The first for the year is April. Applying a weed and FEED now encourages the weeds
your grass takes the winter off.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM

Dollar weed
Use one of the weed sprays for lawns, that doesn’t kill the grass, and hooks up to your hose .
Bayer works great as does Roundup for grass
Old 02-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I went to Lowe’s (Home Depot , Ace) & bought an Ortho product that says, “Kill Weeds Not Grass”, I use it in the worst weed areas or you can just walk around & spray every individual weed. But whatever weed you’re trying to kill make sure it’s not in the grass family because it won’t kill it.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Killing Dollar Weeds: Tips For Getting Rid Of Dollar Weed these are DOllar weeds check this site
Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM

Dollar Weeds - means too much water. Cut back your sprinkler time in that zone and should be no more than twice a week. I've been at once a week with the cooler weather in general.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM

Yep agree. Finally did it on a cool day and they haven't come back.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

That's dollar weed and it is really tough to get rid of. I use spectricide granules that won't kill grass and put it on when the weeds are wet. Works well but it always returns somewhat so I'm thinking the root system must be quite extensive and/or deep.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Dollar weed. Too much water in that area. Herbicide for broad leafed weeds and eliminate the wet spots. Stop using Turf Builder Bonus S Weed & Feed. Just because it's for "southern lawns," it's a terrible product for Florida. Treat each type of weed as it appears, because the herbicides in Bonus S may not be timely, and those unused chemicals are washed into the very shallow water table. Contact your local extension office or UF/IFAS websites for guidance.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:24 PM

I have had good luck over the years killing this weed with Spectricide Weed Stop granular. Buy at Lowes or Home Depot, Ace may have it too. Spray the weeds with water and then use the granular version (it needs to be wet to cling to the weed) distribute with a spreader. Weeds will die off slowly and be gone within 30 days.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
pull them by hand
Old 02-20-2021, 12:32 PM

Thank you everybody! There's a lot of good options. I'm working on a game plan. Thanks Again!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
weeds, kill, called, attached, picture

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.