How will we know what's our landscape is made up of?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Default How will we know what's our landscape is made up of?

Does TV provide new owners with the names of the shrubs/trees/ground cover that they have planted around your home? Our home is being built and we've been provided pictures during the process. The landscaping is done and I've been trying to educate myself based on the pictures - which is not so easy for this northerner. Will we be provided with a list at closing or are we pretty much on our own? Our sales person is on vacation so couldn't ask him and figured this site would be a good place to ask. Sorry wasn't sure if this should have been posted in the newbie section or landscaping section. TIA
Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I really don't know but my guess would be there is no record of anything planted by the contractors.

They are most likely given a blanket contract to provide a certain number of plantings and the contractor put in what ever is in the landscapers truck at the time.

Most of it is cheap stuff that most of us tear out anyway.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Every Friday a person from the Extension Office is at the library at pinellas. When you get here, take a cutting with You. I bet they could tell you.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks to the both of you for such quick replies!

Billethkid - I have a feeling you're right on.
Joyce - I've been able to figure out some of it comparing the pictures to those at different websites.

Some of it I'm ok with and will probably keep some of it (my husband will not be happy if I rip it all out and spend $$ for new LOL). Just a little worried about the tree planted in the middle of our lawn. Can't tell if its an oak without a clear pic of the leaves.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
Does TV provide new owners with the names of the shrubs/trees/ground cover that they have planted around your home? Our home is being built and we've been provided pictures during the process. The landscaping is done and I've been trying to educate myself based on the pictures - which is not so easy for this northerner. Will we be provided with a list at closing or are we pretty much on our own? Our sales person is on vacation so couldn't ask him and figured this site would be a good place to ask. Sorry wasn't sure if this should have been posted in the newbie section or landscaping section. TIA

The Sumter County Extension from the University of Florida offers lots of help for us Villagers. You will find plant clinics and classes and speakers. I have tried to educate my Midwestern self on Florida plants but I remain only a work-in-progress.

The extension has plant clinics at the Sumter County Government Annex Office on the corner of 466 and Morse. According to the website, those are on Mondays from 9:00 to 3:00. I have taken leaves and/or pictures there for identification.

Before you start ripping things out, you might want to go to a couple of the classes offered to help those of us who are new to Florida landscaping. I have attended a couple of these classes. It has been a while, but I think I went to Colony Rec Center.

I am not in our TV house right now so I do not have the paper, but you can find the schedule there.

Also, I never have learned to link on my iPad which I am typing to you on right now. (I forget to find out how until I am in the middle of something.) But, I digress......

So anyway, just wanted to let you know that help awaits through the Sumter County Extension Office and they bring the help conveniently and often to The Villages. We transplants need all the help we can get sometimes.

.....And maybe someone else here can help by posting the link to the Sumter County Extension site.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Call home warranty, they should be able to give you the name of the contractor that did the landscaping, and a call to them should get the info you want. They will probably need to come out to identify the plants/trees. I would make a sketch for future reference.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

When we moved in we had a (routine) walk around scheduled with Tri County Landscape, who did the irrigation. I'm not sure if they did the actual landscaping, but she was kind enough to go over every plant with me and let me take the time to write down their names and any info I wanted about each plant. We did remove some of the original plants, but only to thin them out. (I don't care for the hedge look.) And we did relocate some, and they are doing well. Depends on your builder what you get, I guess. Also, just a word of caution, if you are new to Florida. DO NOT overplant...stuff GROWS here. What we had as houseplants up north, grows into trees here. I see neighbors homes that are totally overgrown in 2 years. I find that I'd rather be out playing here, than trimming and weeding, a chore I enjoyed in my last home.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanks Boomer!

I've been using the IFAS website to do some searching and didn't notice the extension program in Sumter. Now I've got their schedule.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
When we moved in we had a (routine) walk around scheduled with Tri County Landscape, who did the irrigation. I'm not sure if they did the actual landscaping, but she was kind enough to go over every plant with me and let me take the time to write down their names and any info I wanted about each plant. We did remove some of the original plants, but only to thin them out. (I don't care for the hedge look.) And we did relocate some, and they are doing well. Depends on your builder what you get, I guess. Also, just a word of caution, if you are new to Florida. DO NOT overplant...stuff GROWS here. What we had as houseplants up north, grows into trees here. I see neighbors homes that are totally overgrown in 2 years. I find that I'd rather be out playing here, than trimming and weeding, a chore I enjoyed in my last home.

Read this post and then reread it. It is absolutely correct.

We have kept the landscaping from both homes because it is hardy and planted to please the eye. Most tenderfoots add palms and that is up to you but Florida veterans advise against it, so we didn't.

When we added a pool recently, we had the landscapers dig up the original landscaping in the back and plant it temporarily in the corner of the yard until the pool was put in. They then replanted it back around the outside of the birdcage and it is still alive and, I think, very pretty. P.M. me if you want to see it.

It is your home and you can do what you wish, but the original foundation landscaping is very good in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

When we closed, some of my plants had tags on them, like my Gardenia's. If you have a cell phone, you can also take pictures and go to a local nursery. They will be able to tell you just by looking at your photo's. Since you live in the south end of TV's, I personally like KB one 462. Take 466A west, to the light at the corner of Powell and 462. Make a right and they are about a mile and a half up on the right hand side, just before 301.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Phantic - I was hoping they would leave the tags but don't see any when I do a closeup of the pictures we were given. I jotted down the directions for KB and will look them up if I can't get hooked up with the landscaper.

Lovely-I too love to garden but like you, will want low maintenance.

Villagetinker - I hadn't thought about contacting home warranty. Thanks for the tip!

Gracie - please send pics! would love to see!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Phantic - I was hoping they would leave the tags but don't see any when I do a closeup of the pictures we were given. I jotted down the directions for KB and will look them up if I can't get hooked up with the landscaper.

Lovely-I too love to garden but like you, will want low maintenance.

Villagetinker - I hadn't thought about contacting home warranty. Thanks for the tip!

Gracie - please send pics! would love to see!

These plantings are just three years old. They came with the house and have ALL been transplanted twice. Pool was finished in June. We bought no new plants at all. Added edging. Pine straw for mulch. Very decent weed deterrent but must be added to at least twice a year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_5574.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	54488   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_5573.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	54489   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_5575.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	54490  
Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Gracie

WOW!! that is gorgeous!! The stamped edging is beautiful too and adds a nice graceful touch to everything. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Sage

I wouldn't be surprised if you took some photos of the plants of trees in question and posted them,,,,someone here will know what you have.

[nice landscaping GeeGee]
Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Yes...it is beautiful. My only regret is that we put dark gray slate chips in our plant beds. I was always changing the kind of bedding and adding to it several times a year in my old house. We lived in SW Florida and got a lot of rain and it washed it out over the curbing, so we went with slate when we got here. It definitely lasts longer but I think it holds too much heat and is ultimately bad for the plants. I should have kept the pine straw, I like the look of it. Just a thought...
Closed Thread

Tags
provided, home, pictures, landscaping, section, closing, pretty, list, northerner, tia, newbie, place, figured, site, vacation, good, sales, person, educate, names, owners, shrubs/trees/ground, cover, provide, landscape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.