Irrigation box

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts
Default Irrigation box

Had yellow jackets in my irrigation box. After I got rid of them I cut screen wire And sealed off the 1/2 inch or so Hole in top cover so snakes, wasps, bees, spiders, and frogs can’t get in. Might want to consider it to keep the nasty’s out so you don’t get surprise when you open it up.

Just be ware what might be under the cover?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Good idea. But, I wouldn't count on that hole being the only way they can get into the box.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Good idea. But, I wouldn't count on that hole being the only way they can get into the box.

I’m pretty confident I eliminate access. It will keep the wasps and bees out on my box The sealing area clean and it fits very tight. You don’t want yellow jacket’s in there (IMO probably the worse sting of wasps other than large hornets) or honey hive. Far as I can tell no space wide enough for them to slide in. Over 50 Dead yellow jackets
In bottom of box and of course I remove the nest.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That's correct. That "box" is not four-sided, as there is no bottom, and it has large openings on the side
Old 06-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Why would you want to even go in your irrigation box? Snakes and bees have to have someplace to live. Let the irrigation guy worry about that.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
That's correct. That "box" is not four-sided, as there is no bottom, and it has large openings on the side
Mine buried, only the top visible. The side opening and bottom foot in the ground.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Why would you want to even go in your irrigation box? Snakes and bees have to have someplace to live. Let the irrigation guy worry about that.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
I’m too smart to pay someone for something I can do.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m too smart to pay someone for something I can do.

I used to think that way that way too....now I spread the wealth around with folks trying to make a living and I enjoy life a heck of a lot more
Old 06-16-2020, 06:52 AM

How did you affix the screen to the box?
Old 06-16-2020, 07:57 AM

That's a smart idea! I was working on one of my control boxes and saw a few dead bees inside the control box. I have the extra screen laying around doing nothing and the extra glue. The control box covers do have holes that bees could enter.

I always do maintenance, when required on my two 12 zone sprinkler systems myself. I installed those sprinkler systems myself. plus two sprinkler systems in two previous homes. I was an IT worker before I retired, and I wasn't in the sprinkler system line of work. The work isn't that hard to do, but that's one of the risks of the work, that you could run into bees. The bees can live in a neighbor's sprinkler control box or around their homes, instead of my control boxes or around my home!

It depends on the work. Sometimes it's work you feel you can do yourself, sometimes it's something to pay someone else. I used to shovel and snow blow my driveway in my Minnesota home. I've been paying a company to do that work for the past six years. I used to change my oil in my cars. I've paid someone else to do that work decades ago. But I still do the lawn mowing at the Minnesota house now, but that will come to an end soon.

In my future Florida home, I'll pay someone else to do the lawn mowing and pool maintenance. Maybe I'd still do the sprinkler system maintenance in Florida. The older you get, the more things you're willing you are to pay someone else to do those jobs.

Last edited by davephan; 06-16-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:18 AM
theruizs

I’d like to figure out how to lock mine. I have an irrigation gal but once or twice a month I find the cover off and it wasn’t her. I know my lawn people pretty well and they say it isn’t them either. Maybe I need to put an alarm it.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1234 View Post
How did you affix the screen to the box?
Glued it down with shoe goo. Cut it 1 inch bigger, put about 1/4 in bead around the hole, and tapped screen down using water so the shoe goo wouldn’t stick to my fingers. It dried pretty hard but still rubbery probably any glue would work, but the shoe goo bonds on both sides Of the screen.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 06-16-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
That's a smart idea! I was working on one of my control boxes and saw a few dead bees inside the control box. I have the extra screen laying around doing nothing and the extra glue. The control box covers do have holes that bees could enter.

I always do maintenance, when required on my two 12 zone sprinkler systems myself. I installed those sprinkler systems myself. plus two sprinkler systems in two previous homes. I was an IT worker before I retired, and I wasn't in the sprinkler system line of work. The work isn't that hard to do, but that's one of the risks of the work, that you could run into bees. The bees can live in a neighbor's sprinkler control box or around their homes, instead of my control boxes or around my home!

It depends on the work. Sometimes it's work you feel you can do yourself, sometimes it's something to pay someone else. I used to shovel and snow blow my driveway in my Minnesota home. I've been paying a company to do that work for the past six years. I used to change my oil in my cars. I've paid someone else to do that work decades ago. But I still do the lawn mowing at the Minnesota house now, but that will come to an end soon.

In my future Florida home, I'll pay someone else to do the lawn mowing and pool maintenance. Maybe I'd still do the sprinkler system maintenance in Florida. The older you get, the more things you're willing you are to pay someone else to do those jobs.
Probably reach that day, but not yet for me?

Yes, gluing will work depending on glue. (Only big fan Of super glue in certain areas. I’m bored most of the time and look for stuff to keep me occupied around my 15 square yard yard.

6 months ago I got tired of pulling weeds in my back yard, so I scraped up rock (with lots of dirt in it) made me sifter, sifted dirt out put the rock, Fixed the holes in the barrier where plants was planted over the years, then put the rock back down. With all the dirt out Of the rock above barrier the weeds are gone.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 06-17-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I’d like to figure out how to lock mine. I have an irrigation gal but once or twice a month I find the cover off and it wasn’t her. I know my lawn people pretty well and they say it isn’t them either. Maybe I need to put an alarm it.
I’m lost to why the lid keeps coming off. Maybe one of them cheap wireless cameras? Maybe the if it in you’re yard with grass the mower tire popping it off?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Is it possible that it floats off during a rainstorm?

I don't think it would be a good idea to lock it. It should be accessible for emergencies.
Closed Thread

Tags
irrigation, box, cover, don’t, jackets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.