Irrigation Cost Too Much

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,923 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The St. John's river watershed authority, or the Southwest Florida Water Management District have jurisdiction over ALL ground water in TV. They will not let you drill a well into their aquifers.
Some of us knew that but Jimbo is from far, far, away.

It was an innovative thought, Jimbo!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage

that was said in jest, but it would if allowed cost more than years of water.

Gracie, maybe not that far away, coming soon........
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Default Phase 3 Water Restrictions Notice.

We live close to Rt 466A and received our VCDD Utilities Bill today with the following important message:

SWFWMD has implemented Phase 3 Water Restrictions. Landscape watering is limited to once per week. Phase 3 restrictions also require use of SWFWMD approved level 3 Environmental Protection Rate Surcharge. A 10% water rate surcharge will be implemented on water bills for periods beginning March 10, 2012 or thereafter. See Village Community Development Districts
website for details.

Irrigation days are scheduled according to house number, i.e., if your house # ends in 0 - 1 your watering days are Monday, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this 10 % surcharge will be tacked on permanently or if this is just a temporary charge due to the water ban(restriction). Does anyone know?

Last edited by Lou and Carolyn C.; 05-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Maybe not to the point but why does Florida have water issues when we sit on one of the largest aquifer in the world? Just Curious.

Floridan Aquifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Russ: spot on and if I may add an individual in the know told a group of us that there is more fesh water in florida then all the great lakes combined. the issue with water isn't availablity, its political, in that county commissioners , developers, etc want control for obvious reasons. Why else would florida allow nestle to draw milions of gallons daily free of charge? People living in Central Forida are taking a beating when it comes to water costs ( we have a three tier rate) and Homeownowners Insurance.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Russ: spot on and if I may add an individual in the know told a group of us that there is more fesh water in florida then all the great lakes combined. the issue with water isn't availablity, its political, in that county commissioners , developers, etc want control for obvious reasons. Why else would florida allow nestle to draw milions of gallons daily free of charge? People living in Central Forida are taking a beating when it comes to water costs ( we have a three tier rate) and Homeownowners Insurance.
There does seem to be "a rat in the wood pile" when it comes to the cost of water in Florida. When something "smells" its usually political and I think you hit the nail on the head. For example: In TV you have two Districts---St. John's and Southwest pulling water out of the very same Aquifer with different watering rules. You live in Sumter County and you water once a week----in Lake County twice a week. Makes no sense.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 AM

has anyone tried to switch the recycled water which is used for irrigation with potable water? any 'official' opposition from vcdd?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Sage

When they read the two meters and irrigation is zero, get ready for grief.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Sage

Why would you want to pay the sewage treatment fee for watering your lawn ??
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwein View Post
has anyone tried to switch the recycled water which is used for irrigation with potable water? any 'official' opposition from vcdd?
dhwein, You may also want to take into consideration that your sewer charge is based on your potable water use. Meaning the more potable water use, the higher your sewer charge.

In my previous home in Wesley Chapel, FL, an hour south of The Villages, we paid a flat fee of $7.00 per month for irrigation water. I lived in a very nice CDD master planned neighborhood, not out in the sticks. We also had St. Augustine grass. We couldn't wait to get rid of it with such issues as chinch bugs, etc. Hubby was happy to have zoysia grass. Now that we have zoysia, we would go back to St. Augustine any day. Zoysia seems to need a lot of water to be green.
To make everyone feel a little better about that $7.00 per month ... our electricity cost is half of what we used to pay and our car insurance is 60% less than what we used to pay as well. All in all, I'll pay for the water and not complain.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
really, we're paying for water twice - when it's potable and again when it's reclaimed for outdoor use only. My understanding is that not everyone in TV is twice billed for water usage, but that the potable water rate is higher, but I won't swear to anything I hear or read anymore...
North of 466, we have a single water meter. South of 466, you have two seperate meters. So, you are being billed at two different rates. Here's a chart that shows what average usuage should be depending on type of home.
Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me,what is the rate for the two types of water ?
http://www.thevillageswaterwisdom.co...owMuch1109.pdf

Last edited by rayschic; 07-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Default It makes NO sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Maybe not to the point but why does Florida have water issues when we sit on one of the largest aquifer in the world? Just Curious.

Floridan Aquifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never could figure this one out.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Funny, my neighbor told me that he used to turn his irrigation off in the winter because the grass was dormant. Then someone told him that it needs water even when it dormant so he only waters once a week in the winter.
I asked him why he waters in the summer and he looked at me like I was crazy. I shut my irrigation off this summer. It rains almost every day so why am I adding water to that twice a week? My lawn looks great. If we have an extended drought period I'll turn it back on but it makes to sense to me to water lawns down here during the summer months.
I will turn it back on once a week in the winter and see what happens. If it starts to brownout, I'll try twice a week.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.