Jatropha stains on house

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Default Jatropha stains on house

Help! The former owner of my home planted Jatropha (shiny green leaves, clusters of little red flowers, grows tall, blooms year round) on eirther side of the garage door. When my landscape guy trimmed them waaay down, the stains from the bush are really obvious (reddish brown, like blood, almost) on the siding and trim. Google will tell you that the stains are hard to remove, but offers no suggestion. I cannot find any solvent that will remove them. Gasoline won't work, nor will bleach or mineral spirits. Has anyone had any success removing Jatropha stains? I see lots of it planted, so someone else must have this issue too.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum member

Well, the sap is latex based and the stains are from the sap, so a product like Ooops or GooGone or something that will remove latex paint might be worth a try. Might have to reapply a few times and use a scrubbing motion, then wash the area to remove the solution.

Hopefully you have vinyl siding, I would NOT apply that kind of product on masonry/stucco as I fear it would leave you with a new stain to contend with.
On masonry, I think I would use KILZ on the spots you have already treated, then repaint.
Good Luck. Jatropha is a very attractive plant!
( oops, you DO have siding. Just realized that!)

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 05-14-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: to add last sentence.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.