Knockout Roses.

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Actually they are a cross between Rugosa and Tea Roses.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Prune now, and fertilize at the end of March. Got it. But my Knockouts are blooming beautifully right now. Do I really have to cut them back now to make them healthy? Will it hurt if I wait until May when we leave The Reservation for the summer?

quoting the article furnished above:

"If you are pruning to control the shape, wait until the second season of growth. After that, you may only need to prune every three years or whenever you want to shape the rose."

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum member

How far back should the knockouts be pruned? Do you do this the first year? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Gracie, now is a proper time to prune knockout roses. Dead blooms and branches can be cut off at any time of the year. You'll find a good PDF paper on the subject at this link:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/cou...kout_roses.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
How far back should the knockouts be pruned? Do you do this the first year? Thanks for any help.
Did you read the link provided by Skyguy? Good information.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Knock Outs are darn near bullet proof and grow prolifically. If you have the time and inclination .... pinching wilted blooms will help cause greater blooming. I prune as needed throughout the year and do a major one (to about waist high) in early spring. Followed by a fertilizing when freeze danger has passed.

I really like the Job's Organic Knock Out Rose Fertilizer. Smells like poop because it is mostly "chicken manure" ..... works great! 2-3 feeding per year is all they will need.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran member

My Knock Out Standard looked so straggly when I came down in March that I almost replaced it. Then I decided to prune it right back and fertilized it and it is now blooming its head off. The question is should I cut it back again just before we leave at the end of May and fertilize again? I was thinking that if I did that the blooms would be out again in Sept-Oct when we return til the end of Dec. Then I wondered if it should be cut back again at the end of Nov. before winter or do I leave it til March. Any help is appreciated.

LW888

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.