Knockout Roses.

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Knockout Roses.

I noticed at St. Timothy's that they have cut their roses way back just recently, these are the same ones I have admired blooming beautifully for months on the way to the parking lot.

So I am guessing that now is the time to cut back Roses? Is it also the time to feed them? Should I use Rose food or just time release plant food?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM

I use the Bayer Rose food for my Knock Outs. It is very good keeping the insects away.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Gracie, now is a proper time to prune knockout roses. Dead blooms and branches can be cut off at any time of the year. You'll find a good PDF paper on the subject at this link:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/cou...kout_roses.pdf
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Gracie, now is a proper time to prune knockout roses. Dead blooms and branches can be cut off at any time of the year. You'll find a good PDF paper on the subject at this link:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/cou...kout_roses.pdf
Many thanks Sky and Kev. I will buy some Bayer. That is what I used in Ohio, too.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum member

Just keep in mind that our last frost date here is March 15th. Hold off on fertilizing your pruned knock-outs before then to insure that any tender new growth won't push out before the last frost.

Bayer products give results! They were originally developed in Glenview, Illinois by a fellow who grew/field tested new rose breeds for larger companies, in order to make his large fields easier to manage and so we in the Chicago area were the first to try them.

Only problem is that our ground HERE is often faster draining (little or no clay) and so I tend to apply a little, then wait about 1/2 hour and apply more around plants.
The plants seem to utilize more product this way. They get a chance to suck it up before it drains away, hopefully.

Even using 3-in-1 formula (which among other things, helps against black spot), I still defoliated the bottom 8 inches or so of my roses for extra insurance during rains or watering.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Prune now but wait to fertilize until around the end of March. Any good rose food is good and yes Bayer is a good one. I usually just get what's on sale.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Waiting until Mid-March
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm settling on my house in two weeks and love knock out roses. When is a good time to plant and a good place to buy them?.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

You can plant them any time here, if they will get regularly watered once they are planted. If you want them grown as a standard, any large nursery (there are several close by) will have them. They all strive to offer good healthy stock and their prices are about the same.

if you want them bare root or in smaller pots ( for economy) big box stores will be fine.
Wait until you see a big, new shipment arrive. They will probably start rolling in after March 15th.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Refer to a post I made on 12-13-12 in regards to Knock Out's it may help you.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 AM

I just went to the landscaping class thru the extension UF/FAS and Jim Davis said to prune in Feb, fertilize after March 15 for Knock Out roses. I pruned mine a week ago, doing great.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Prune now but wait to fertilize until around the end of March. Any good rose food is good and yes Bayer is a good one. I usually just get what's on sale.
Prune now, and fertilize at the end of March. Got it. But my Knockouts are blooming beautifully right now. Do I really have to cut them back now to make them healthy? Will it hurt if I wait until May when we leave The Reservation for the summer?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Just keep in mind that our last frost date here is March 15th. Hold off on fertilizing your pruned knock-outs before then to insure that any tender new growth won't push out before the last frost.

Bayer products give results! They were originally developed in Glenview, Illinois by a fellow who grew/field tested new rose breeds for larger companies, in order to make his large fields easier to manage and so we in the Chicago area were the first to try them.

Only problem is that our ground HERE is often faster draining (little or no clay) and so I tend to apply a little, then wait about 1/2 hour and apply more around plants.
The plants seem to utilize more product this way. They get a chance to suck it up before it drains away, hopefully.

Even using 3-in-1 formula (which among other things, helps against black spot), I still defoliated the bottom 8 inches or so of my roses for extra insurance during rains or watering.
Great information!!! Another reminder is to clean clippers with rubbing alcohol, continously, so that you don't spread fungus from rose to rose. I think we are all getting "Antsy"
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Prune now, and fertilize at the end of March. Got it. But my Knockouts are blooming beautifully right now. Do I really have to cut them back now to make them healthy? Will it hurt if I wait until May when we leave The Reservation for the summer?
It won't hurt at all to wait, Barefoot. Pruning knockouts is more for esthetics and to keep the plants in bounds.
Knockouts are Rugosa roses. Hardier than a fancy hybrid, but often unpredictable and ganglier as they grow.
Take a look for branches that are crossed or rubbing and prune those. Prune anything broken or dead and you can leave the rest and enjoy your flowers.

It is just EASIER to prune if the plants aren't in full leaf or flower, as you can see clearly to prune.

P.S. GOOD tip from PaPaLarry! I keep my alcohol in a spray bottle and spritz the clippers between plants.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
It won't hurt at all to wait, Barefoot. Pruning knockouts is more for esthetics and to keep the plants in bounds.
Knockouts are Rugosa roses. Hardier than a fancy hybrid, but often unpredictable and ganglier as they grow.
Take a look for branches that are crossed or rubbing and prune those. Prune anything broken or dead and you can leave the rest and enjoy your flowers.

It is just EASIER to prune if the plants aren't in full leaf or flower, as you can see clearly to prune.
Thanks UPtownGirl. I've never fertilized my roses and I just hack at them in passing if I think of it. Of course, sometimes I sing to them. They are enormously forgiving and seem to tolerate bad gardeners. I think it's time I give them some TLC.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.