Landscape to Property Line

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Default Landscape to Property Line

Returned to my home after a unplanned lengthy illness to find that the property owner directly behind me has installed mulch, plants,bushes and trees right up to the property line (may even be a little over). Tree hangs over onto my lawn area. Each home is approx. 30-35 ft. from each other.

Do not want to start a war but has this happened to anyone and how did you resolve it?

I planned to install a small landscaped area behind my lanai and have been informed that one must be be at least two feet from property line.

WHAT to DO!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Landscape to Property Line

You own what falls on your property. Take a hedge cutter to it if you want. Or wait till it matures a bit if you don't want it to die. Regardless, it belongs to you, do what you want.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Returned to my home after a unplanned lengthy illness to find that the property owner directly behind me has installed mulch, plants,bushes and trees right up to the property line (may even be a little over). Tree hangs over onto my lawn area. Each home is approx. 30-35 ft. from each other.

Do not want to start a war but has this happened to anyone and how did you resolve it?

I planned to install a small landscaped area behind my lanai and have been informed that one must be be at least two feet from property line.

WHAT to DO!
Does it look nice? If it does maybe it will save you from having to install landscaping? My neighbors just put in a pool with a high white wall with no landscaping at all 7 1/2 foot from the property line. I will have to put in landscaping to hide the wall. I wish they had put in landscaping.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post

WHAT to DO!
Who informed you of the two foot line? Is that in writing?
To begin I would talk to your neighbor. Maybe you both can come to an agreement where you both plant up to the property line. That may work better than having to mow a small area of grass.
To me, just hacking away at something hanging over the line is only asking for trouble.............trouble for a long time.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:35 PM

If you stay 2 feet off the property line and your neighbor stays 2 feet off the property line, how do they mow and which direction to they throw the grass? If your guy blows grass clipping at your neighbor and your neighbors lawn service blows them at your landscape bed, seems the two of you are going to nothing but pull weeds. That's if they can get between the two beds.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

One of the curses of having an inside lot (back to back).
Old 03-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

I came across the "2 foot rule" but this was in a discussion with a next door neighbor, and it involved the swale between the houses. This previous neighbor was thinking of a common landscaped area that would use alternating tree/hedge to provide privacy between the back yards.
When I called ARC, they told me under no circumstances could any garden occupy the swale area, the reason being that during periods of heavy/very heavy rain the land scape material would wash away into the drainage system.
So, if the new landscaping is in a swale area between your houses, it will probably need to be removed (the start of the war??) however, the landscaper should know the rules.

By the way we did discuss the problem with mowing a piece of lawn 2 foot (4 foot total), we gave up on the idea, and that neighbor has since moved.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage

It's not 2', it's 2' within the setbacks.

So if the rear set back is for example is 10' the planting must be 12'.

I know this because I tried to have more sod removed upto the rear prop line it was not approved, I had to change it on my plan/application to ARC.

Yes it is in writing.

A call to compliance with his lot #'s would likely result in your neighbor removing the plants and replace with sod
Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM

We found out about the 2' rule the hard way. We added
A pool & birdcage in 2012. No privacy problem in rear
But the two sides were completely open . After all the
Construction was completed, we installed a row of 4' high
Evergreens on both sides, staying 16" off our property line.
The neighbors on both sides asked us to move them 8".
The compliance rep came to measure. Before we proceeded
To dig them out & replant 8" in, I approached both neighbors
Because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's true, keep
2' off property line. It cost us not only money and labor, but
Got off to a negative start with our new neighbors. Ouch!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieNonnie View Post
We found out about the 2' rule the hard way. We added
A pool & birdcage in 2012. No privacy problem in rear
But the two sides were completely open . After all the
Construction was completed, we installed a row of 4' high
Evergreens on both sides, staying 16" off our property line.
The neighbors on both sides asked us to move them 8".
The compliance rep came to measure. Before we proceeded
To dig them out & replant 8" in, I approached both neighbors
Because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's true, keep
2' off property line. It cost us not only money and labor, but
Got off to a negative start with our new neighbors. Ouch!
As I mentioned before, the landscapers should know this, if there was a significant expense you should have a serious discussion with them. Also, as I understand the process, there should have been a review of the plans before the work started.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Calll the CDD (751-3912) and ask them if this neighbor had their landscaping approved.
If you are unsure regarding whether or not they actually planted within what the rules are,
ask that someone come out and check the location of the planted area.

This may be the answer to your query and the CDD will handle it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.