Landscaping Costs

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2023, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
We just landscaped our place. We didn’t put in any palm type trees nor any Robellini type trees, because all of our neighbors have had issues with these from the last 2 winters. 1 neighbor has had 2 large palms die during the last 2 winters and now he has to pay $800 to have it removed before he can spends thousands more again to put another tree in its place. We went with plants that you don’t have to worry about if we get a freeze
Used Magic Garden to remove a 40 ft Queen Palm only charged $300. It was $125 to have stump ground for 1 then $25 for each additional stump.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:04 AM
Default Landscaping

I am recommending Morgan’s Whole 9 Yards. Robert Morgan owner. 352-203-8410. He revamped our neglected yard to the delight of our neighbors and us. As his company name says he does everything. He is a native to this area so knows what works and what doesn’t.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:21 AM
Sage

you should have one plan and shop that plan rather then having each landscaper suggest doing something different.

That's the only way to compare prices.

I think $10,000 is on the high side for a small lot
Old 05-20-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Just added a wrap-around birdcage to my new patio villa home, so now it’s time to move on to Landscaping. I’ve been here in my new villa neighborhood now for 5 months, so I’ve been able to see what many of my neighbors have done with landscaping. I’ve also been going on golf cart rides to more established villa neighborhoods to get ideas. I’m going to start get estimates, and want to do something tasteful (not going over-board), but still want to make a statement with my landscaping. Looking at some brick work as well. I like the Robellini palms, but that seems to be very common to plant. I have a front yard to landscape, and also the entire side of my home, as I have a corner lot. I want to ditch the Magnolia that came with the house - not sure to replace with another a tree, a palm , or just have no tree in front yard. I know my landscaper will help me with all these questions. I’m thinking of budget of $10,000 for landscaping. Does this seem in the ballpark cost wise? Curious how much others have spent on landscaping when purchasing a brand new home?
When we moved here I said I’m not living in Florida without a palm tree. We have a courtyard villa so not a huge yard so we opted for a brick wall, which we did ourselves, and a robellini palm which we just love. It won’t get too big for our space and gives us the Florida look I wanted. Good luck to you, it’s a lot of decisions.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
you should have one plan and shop that plan rather then having each landscaper suggest doing something different.

That's the only way to compare prices.

I think $10,000 is on the high side for a small lot
Good advice.

Personally the only palm I would plant is either a Roebelenii or a European palm, and only one. Make sure it is well away from the birdcage, home, walkway or your lamp post. Everything in FL grows faster than you think. These palms stay at a reasonable height but do require maintenance. You will need to protect the Roebelenii when it is young, when our temps get into the 20’s for any length of time. The European is good to 10 degrees but hopefully we don’t see that here
Old 05-20-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Just added a wrap-around birdcage to my new patio villa home, so now it’s time to move on to Landscaping. I’ve been here in my new villa neighborhood now for 5 months, so I’ve been able to see what many of my neighbors have done with landscaping. I’ve also been going on golf cart rides to more established villa neighborhoods to get ideas. I’m going to start get estimates, and want to do something tasteful (not going over-board), but still want to make a statement with my landscaping. Looking at some brick work as well. I like the Robellini palms, but that seems to be very common to plant. I have a front yard to landscape, and also the entire side of my home, as I have a corner lot. I want to ditch the Magnolia that came with the house - not sure to replace with another a tree, a palm , or just have no tree in front yard. I know my landscaper will help me with all these questions. I’m thinking of budget of $10,000 for landscaping. Does this seem in the ballpark cost wise? Curious how much
others have spent on landscaping when purchasing a brand new home?
Ray who owns and runs Goney’s Landscaping does it all. It’s a family business that’s local and Ray has an eye for the best overall look along with reasonable prices. Plus, he stands by anything planted. We did a refresh in our yard and couldn’t be happier. (352) 753-7007
Old 05-20-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Don't forget to inquire which plants are cold hardy/or not.
Robelini for example are not cold/frost tolerant palms.

True. We covered our new robelini last winter and it is sluggish coming back this year. Village Palms told us it was cold-hearty, but not so.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:38 AM

Beware of any fruit bearing trees, even date palm. When the fruit is mature you’ll have rats flocking to your yard.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Default Landscaping

I think Sabal palms are the best
For landscaping.
Landscapers often oversell and overplant. Plants grow very fast
In florida, so I would make sure you leave a lot of open space.
$10,000 sounds like too much for a patio villa, since the yards are small.
I would strongly advise you keep it simple. You can always put pots out later.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Just added a wrap-around birdcage to my new patio villa home, so now it’s time to move on to Landscaping. I’ve been here in my new villa neighborhood now for 5 months, so I’ve been able to see what many of my neighbors have done with landscaping. I’ve also been going on golf cart rides to more established villa neighborhoods to get ideas. I’m going to start get estimates, and want to do something tasteful (not going over-board), but still want to make a statement with my landscaping. Looking at some brick work as well. I like the Robellini palms, but that seems to be very common to plant. I have a front yard to landscape, and also the entire side of my home, as I have a corner lot. I want to ditch the Magnolia that came with the house - not sure to replace with another a tree, a palm , or just have no tree in front yard. I know my landscaper will help me with all these questions. I’m thinking of budget of $10,000 for landscaping. Does this seem in the ballpark cost wise? Curious how much others have spent on landscaping when purchasing a brand new home?
We have a corner lot too and did the front, side and back yards. We used Goney's Landscaping. We are thrilled with the results! I helped with the layout and plant selection but they did a super job! I can't tell you how many people stop by and tell us how beautiful it turned out! Feel free to contact me for our address and you can drive by and see for yourself.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We live in a designer home in Richmond and just signed a contract with P & E Landscaping to do our front yard. We are doing the brick walls etc. His price for us was 7900.00. I spoke to Edwin and he came out the same day. Said he will get Arc approval. We were very impressed. He was really nice to deal with. Took my ideas for plants and trees and also offered lots of suggestions. I know multiple people who have had there's done by them and are very happy. P & E Landscaping 352-361-9037.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Who did the lanai and what was the cost?
Old 05-20-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
Once you have a plan of what you want to do, you will need to get approval from the ARC. I have a patio villa and when I landscaped mine the ARC told me what I could and not do. They will give you a permit to do whatever they approve. Good luck!!

Can I ask what they told you that you could and could not do? I want to replace my grass with stones in front but backyard should be ok? It is a walled courtyard
Old 05-20-2023, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
We live in a designer home in Richmond and just signed a contract with P & E Landscaping to do our front yard. We are doing the brick walls etc. His price for us was 7900.00. I spoke to Edwin and he came out the same day. Said he will get Arc approval. We were very impressed. He was really nice to deal with. Took my ideas for plants and trees and also offered lots of suggestions. I know multiple people who have had there's done by them and are very happy. P & E Landscaping 352-361-9037.
I would let the contractor get the ARC approval, but I would insist that I get a copy of the ARC approved document before any work is started.

Some contractors will agree to get ARC approval or a permit so they can start as soon as possible. Then, when you ask to see the permit, they say that they still haven't received it.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-20-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:38 PM
Default Landscaping costs

Quote:
I used Luis Landscaping and very pleased with the recommendation he made as well as the cost. He was 30percent cheaper than other estimates I received. I started with a 10k budget and ended up at about 12500.

I have neighbors who spent over $20k on their landscaping. The plant you recommended putting in has needles that can kill a person. I would not have used it if I was starting over again. I love all my flowering plants and mule palm. Mule palms also have needles that can kill but look great. Get multiple estimates and compare apples to apples. My landscaping turned out great! Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
landscaping, i’ve, home, villa, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.