Landscaping Costs

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2023, 06:28 PM

Call E&B LANDSCAPONG
3524616500. They did mine and8 neighbors
Old 05-20-2023, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

I do not think ARC will allow you to remove Magnolia if is still in reasonable condition.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I do not think ARC will allow you to remove Magnolia if is still in reasonable condition.
For new homes, you are allowed to remove before it gets too big - most of my neighbors have removed theirs.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:55 PM

There are some beautiful rustic landscapes that don’t have brick that I think Terrascapes has done. Very different. They’re on 301. You may want to.give them a call. If you drive thru Elijah Villa off Marshbend in Deluna you’ll see one they did. It’s on the right side, the 3 or fourth house. Very well done b
Old 05-21-2023, 07:07 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2023 View Post
Mule palms also have needles that can kill but look great.
No, they don't. Mule palms are a hybrid created by crossing a Pindo palm with a Queen palm, and have feathery fronds. They do not have "needles" (thorns). Two palms that are extensively planted here in The Villages are Roebellini and Sylvester palms. Both of those do have thorns, but certainly not the Mule.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would let the contractor get the ARC approval, but I would insist that I get a copy of the ARC approved document before any work is started.

Some contractors will agree to get ARC approval or a permit so they can start as soon as possible. Then, when you ask to see the permit, they say that they still haven't received it.
Great advice.

Also, one might ask a potential contractor for the addresses of past clients, to look at how the jobs look now. The home owners might tell you how they like the job now, several years later. Our contractor made some mistakes that we were too naïve at the time to avoid
Old 05-21-2023, 07:17 AM

Just be sure and submit your plan for approval by ARC.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:07 AM

Get your own ARC approval. Very simple process, the form is in your phone book. Call them, or go in, they are easy to work with and VERY HELPFUL! Don’t rely on a contractor, some are good and others are either no good or just lazy. Oh, that was okay last time so I figured it would be okay here! Not always true! Talk to the Master Gardener group about the palms and plants that do well in our climate zone. They can also advise on the pros and cons of different plants. They are usually Villagers who have done extensive studying. They have no skin in the game.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I would think twice before putting palms on your property. Mine is huge and I can't imagine the cost of removing it at this point, but they seem to really affect the grass under them. Take a look at that aspect around your neighbourhood. Maybe some are worse than others for this issue. Have fun with your new landscaping!
Totally agree on the palms! People need to be ready for maintenance headaches.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have 10 palms on our property, never had any headaches just normal maintenance, same as grass and bushes. If you don't want to pay for maintenance don't plant any.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:33 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

I’m still in decision process of what to do / plant / which landscaper to hire / etc.

My first bid wants to put in three robelini palms (remember I have a corner lot with a wrap around lanai -so more area to landscape). I already have a berm just a few feet from the side of my property that is landscaped and managed by the developer, along with three fairly mature palm trees they planted along with seasonal ground-covered flowers. I feel like all this landscape is part of my property, and I get to enjoy the view from my lanai.

I drove around many different villages south of 44 yesterday. The robelini palm issue concerns me. I love the look, and many that I saw were in excellent condition, however an equal number were sickly looking from our freezes this past winter - I guess it’s just luck of the draw whether they survive a freeze or not (or maybe the owners covered them up to be pro-active - don’t know if that is really any help or not).

Maybe I just go with one robelini, and if that one withers this winter, it’s only one plant I need to replace vs three. If no robelini, then what? I would need an alternative palm or tree or large bush/shrub, for the circular areas that will be created by the brick work (one in front of house, one at side of lanai, and one on the rear corner of house, that is visible from side exposure to street).

I’m just really confused right now, as everyone is giving me different and often conflicting advice (which I appreciate by the way), but there is no real consensus, and I doubt there will be.

I know this isn’t “Sophie’s Choice”, and maybe I just need to pull the trigger on what I like, and can modify later if I feel I planted something that didn’t work out. If I go with palms, I do realize there is some added maintenance for them, and I’m OK with that.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! 😀

Retirement is good!
Old 05-22-2023, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would let the contractor get the ARC approval, but I would insist that I get a copy of the ARC approved document before any work is started.

Some contractors will agree to get ARC approval or a permit so they can start as soon as possible. Then, when you ask to see the permit, they say that they still haven't received it.
If you have YOUR email address on the ARC form, you will get a copy of the final determination within 1 or 2 days of the hearing, I just went through this with a contractor. Also, inform the contractor, that they can NOT start any work until you see the reply.

Last edited by villagetinker; 05-22-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:20 PM
Default Landscaping recommendations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Just added a wrap-around birdcage to my new patio villa home, so now it’s time to move on to Landscaping. I’ve been here in my new villa neighborhood now for 5 months, so I’ve been able to see what many of my neighbors have done with landscaping. I’ve also been going on golf cart rides to more established villa neighborhoods to get ideas. I’m going to start get estimates, and want to do something tasteful (not going over-board), but still want to make a statement with my landscaping. Looking at some brick work as well. I like the Robellini palms, but that seems to be very common to plant. I have a front yard to landscape, and also the entire side of my home, as I have a corner lot. I want to ditch the Magnolia that came with the house - not sure to replace with another a tree, a palm , or just have no tree in front yard. I know my landscaper will help me with all these questions. I’m thinking of budget of $10,000 for landscaping. Does this seem in the ballpark cost wise? Curious how much others have spent on landscaping when purchasing a brand new home?
We have had a really great experience with S & J Landscaping (352-874-4775). The reason we chose them is he has his own nursery, so you can visit and decide which plants and trees you would like to have. Also, he will replace any plants that have failed in 6 months and trees are guaranteed for a year. He gave us a quote and did not expect payment until after he was done, and surprising came under what he originally gave us. All of his plants are so healthy, if fact three have grown so much we had him come back and replace them with smaller ones and he did so at no charge. Honest and very reliable.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:59 AM

WOW!! The biggest problem in The Villages landscaping scene (from a guy landscaping this area 40 years) is the landscaping people think was a good job ( because it looks fine, and the guys were GREAT) was poorly designed and needs more and more maintenance with each year, and though a REAL professionally designed landscape will actually look better and better for 10-15 years GAINING VALUE... 80% of the Landscapes need a serious overhaul in 5 years. THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE PALM TREES! This is about porrly constructed/engineered hardscapes, poor location/design etc. Go see a job your landscaper did 10 years ago or more. Ask about EDUCATION in THE FIELD. Look up the suggested shrubs and see what the actual NATURAL size is ( trimming ain't low maint.) There are less than 5 designers in this area capable of work that can pass standard landscape architect approval, and fewer than that who are willing to put in that effort with easy money so readily available. Go ahead and listen to "happy neighbors" who moved here 2 years ago, and know nothing about horticulture or civil engineering, and you can join the 80% that are out here ripping up landscapes they paid for 5 years ago that are devaluing their home instead of adding value to it.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:08 PM

Pygmy Date Palms or very messy and prickly after a few years. I had some at an old house and thought it was a mistake.
Also plants that will grow way over the wall height on the side will be discouraged by ARC. I did all the landscaping on the side, I am on the end, since it is not in view of others.
Closed Thread

Tags
landscaping, i’ve, home, villa, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.